2010 overhead console rattle fix

rjdio

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I know, might be worthless without pictures, but not really.

Since day one I've had an annoying rattle from the overhead console at about 1200 rpm. So in town - completely would drive you bananas.

Determined it was the LED light housings rattling against the panel. Holding the black LED housings with a finger would stop the rattle.

I removed the overhead console by popping the vented section out with a credit card, then removing the two T-20 torx screws that held-in the middle section with lights and sunroof knob and those darned LEDs. Undid all the harnesses so I could work with the thing on a table. Peeled-off the panel with the LEDs by prying the locking tabs and removing.

The LEDs have about an inch-long black shroud that's attached to nothing - that's what rattles. So I put a two teeeeeeeny drops of super glue on the inside of the panel where the black LED shrouds touch and then reattached it to the housing. Held for 30 seconds. Put everything back together.

Silent as a church on Monday. Unreal what a difference it made. Thought I'd share.

Jprieur

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Good Post! Thanks for the info. My 2010 sedan has a bit of a rattle in the headliner right behind the sunroof and ALL of the center diffuser vent makes a noise of some type over every bump - so much so I am thinking about replacing it with the tray in hopes that it tightens things up a bit!

Kstjarre_TDi

TDI
2011 golf CW 2dr 6M
My 2010 also has a rattle in the headliner where the sunroof would be...it drives me up a wall. Has anyone found a way to stuff something under the headline to shut it up. It sounds like the headliner vibrates against the roof.

Perreault17

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
The sunroof/shade switches actually rattle. I've replaced a ton of them

About the center vent on top the dash.. good luck. Those things never shut up haha. Ive never seen one with a tray though! That'd be nifty.

digitalextremes

TDI
2k10 Jetta Sedan
My 2010 also has a rattle in the headliner where the sunroof would be...it drives me up a wall. Has anyone found a way to stuff something under the headline to shut it up. It sounds like the headliner vibrates against the roof.
Wondering if you find every find the cause and solution for this?

I have a 2010 that had rattle problem overhead, I can feel something loose sitting on the inner cover of the sunroof when I tap on it with the back of my finger.

Dealer fixed the issue about 8 months ago stating there was a torx screw loose on the workorder but now I have started to head the same noise.

I am thinking about dropping the headliner and tightening the bolts myself with some blue locktite.

I need help with the headliner, I need to know exactly what needs to be removed and how in order to drop the headliner before I jump the gun and break something in the process....

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
I'm also now experiencing a noise with the headliner and sunshade. The sunshade noise is more pronounced with the sunshade open, and mostly stops if I press on it while driving. It's also mostly reduced when it's closed. No idea yet about the headliner noise, but it's not affected when I quiet down the sunshade.

I posted more about my issue here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3660126#post3660126

digitalextremes

TDI
2k10 Jetta Sedan
Sunshade area is easy to access, I opened it to install the rain sensor harness. It could be the loose sunroof motor. Open it up and take a look.

It's the headliner what I am more concerned about...I can tap from the bottom at the interior sunroof cover and hear somehow loose sitting on it.