What's my 03 Wagon worth these days?

cstamm81

TDI
None, yet
I have been kicking around the idea of selling my 03 Jetta TDI wagon. I do IT field tech work and drive about 600 miles a week. I just feel bad driving such a nice car so much everyday, and feel like I will just drive any value out of it over the next year. I might go back to a Honda or Toyota $3K beater. Not as good MPG, but the depreciation is already out of it and insurance would be cheaper.
It's a little under 95K miles, manual, silver. It is in good shape overall, the bumpers are a little banged up, it has 2 small dents in the body. I keep up with the maintenance, run Rotella syn oil, and have lots of records from the previous owner. Just did the font brakes. Tires are good, interior in really good shape. I will be having the t belt done shortly.
Any ideas as to what this is worth these days, and are they as sought after as they were a year ago? The guy I bought it from thought he could have sold it for more than I gave him, but we agreed on a price sight unseen. They seemed to be the holy grail when I bought it. Thoughts, suggestions... anything is much appreciated.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I see it is a 5 speed.

Speak about last year, a local guy here with a mint 03 Jetta wagon with 35K on it got $18K:eek: I looked at it but passed. Right now, they are going for a LOT less.

Poke thru the Cars for Sale threads here as there were a few up for sale not too long ago.

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
if you really want to sell it, wait until fuel prices skyrocket again! don't sell it now! TDIs are in surplus now, and not easy to sell (just like every other car.) you are in a buyers market, not a sellers market. IMHO, driving 600 miles a week: keep it forever!

I do know of someone who will give you $7500 for it though ;)
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=239018

cstamm81

TDI
None, yet
I definitely bought it when prices were at an all time high. I know these are wonderful cars that can run forever, I am just afraid of having it depreciate so fast. They do take some ongoing love frrm what I read on the site, and parts arent overly cheap. I do almost all my on work on my vehicles, but already have older Toyota Landcruisers that get most of my attention. I love the car, think it's by far the nicest driving car I have ever had. I'm just not that into the car, I don't look forward to working on it and I don't want to mod it given its daily use. Decisions decisions. I will probably have to hold onto given what seems to be the current market. Sure wish I would have bought one now instead of a year ago. I guess fuel prices going back up are inevitable so we shall see.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Drive it until the wheels fall off. And I mean all of the wheels, not just one. If one wheel falls off that means someone screwed up, if they all fall off, that means the car has reached the end of it's life.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
But the wagon doesn't have a Cop Motor and a Cop Suspension and all that.

Click the picture. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
whitedog said:
But the wagon doesn't have a Cop Motor and a Cop Suspension and all that.
ROFLMAO :D
"It's got a cop motor, a four hundred and forty cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks, it was a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas," says Elwood Blues.
http://www.bluesmobile.net/

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
if you drive 600 miles a week, then you are driving the right car.

High fuel economy, long long life engine (400k).

You are in the ideal situation to be driving a tdi.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I honestly think you are crazy for asking the question. The parts up front may cost a lot but if you do the cost per mile what car wins. Will it be you old betters and drink more fuel and have a shorter life or the diesel engine that goes forever. Also think about safty. The newer vw's have one of the best safty records from what I remember reading. How much is your life worth then as well. If you were only driving a few miles a week then you would have the wrong car. Also, who cars what the car is worth. I plan on driving mine till it won't drive no more (till all five wheels including spare fall off). But I don't drive much at the moment. Do you really plan on selling this car. VW's are like the american junk that needs to be sold before 150K or it gets hauled to the scrap yard.