Jetta 04 TDI PD BEW -Car dies while driving

Nasa-b

TDI
2004 Jetta PD TDI
I have a 2004 Jetta TDI PD with 150,000 miles on it. I was driving on a highway a few days ago and suddenly without warning i realized my engine had suddenly cut off while rolling off an exit ramp. I had the car towed to my home and when I took the fuel-line coming from the lift-pump off the fuel filter the car started. The same issue happened a few more times, and every time I take that fuel line off the fuel filter and cycle the engine a few times the car starts. Does anyone have any idea what may cause this problem…appreciate any suggestions.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Sounds like a lift pump. I would take that line from the lift pump, run it to a container, and then cycle the key on and see if there is flow. You also can have someone cycle it while you're in the back seat with the seat pulled up -- can you hear the lift pump cycling?

If the lift pump is working, swap-out the filter and see if that helps.

Sure sounds like a lift pump.

Do a search -- lots written on how to diagnose and R&R.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Also, when the lift pump goes, it can start by intermittently not working, making the diagnosis difficult to make. But if the lift pump hasn't been replaced in the last 60K or so, I'd change it out anyway.

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
any update on condition want to help.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Bora Parts and idparts.com both cary the lift pump.

You got more life out of yours than most folks. 80,000 - 100,000 miles seems to be the average life of these pumps.

Mine failed at 46,000 miles (and was a warranty repair)

--Nate

Nasa-b

TDI
2004 Jetta PD TDI
Thanks for the responses guys. I was thinking it was the lift pump but I actually listened and heard that it had power. Then, I took it out, sat it in a bucket of diesel (gave it 12 V) and watched it pump. So I figured that it was not the lift pump though I really do not have a clue as to what else it could be. If, however, it can work intermittently then I suppose it still could be the lift pump. I'm going to go ahead and just order one and change it out b/c it has the original lift pump with 150k on the car and they don't seem to last very long anyway. Thanks for the responses and I will update after I swap it out and test it.
-MN

Nasa-b

TDI
2004 Jetta PD TDI
I should also mention I changed the filter 4 months ago and do not believe it to be clogged. Also, when I pulled out the lift pump, I cleaned both filters (they were like 80% clogged), the one on the outside covering the check valve and the internal one.
-MN

Last edited:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I should also mention I changed the filter 4 months ago and do not believe it to be clogged. Also, when I pulled out the lift pump, I cleaned both filters (they were like 80% clogged), the one on the outside covering the check valve and the internal one.
-MN
Maybe that was the problem. You aren't running biodiesel are you? (Its is BAD for a PD).

I'd still replace the lift pump if it appears to now be working.

--Nate

Nasa-b

TDI
2004 Jetta PD TDI
Thanks Nate. No, I never used biodiesel. Perhaps, the badly clogged filters on the lift pump could have already weakened the motor of the lift pump, so just to be on the safe side I’m going to replace the lift pump anyways.

-MN