Loud turbo

curtains21

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 jetta tdi 5 speed manual
I posted on here a while back about my turbo being really loud, I can't find the original post so I'm posting again. I remember what a couple people said to look for . I found the black sooty area, but what do I do now? I have no idea how to fix this and every time I take it to my mechanic he says there is nothing wrong with it. I swear if I hear "it's a diesel, diesels are louder than gas cars" again I am going to smack him. A how to video would be awesome.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Pull off intake boot on turbo, stick fingers in and try and pull/push and side to side wiggle the spindle. if you have any play in it what so ever, the bearing is going out and your driving in a ticking time bomb. It should feel tight and with out play. You also could have melted the edges of the exhaust fins. If the exhaust does not have holes in it, than your turbo needs to come off the car and be inspected.
What is the "loud" sound your hearing? can you get a recording of it and post on youtube please?

thorp

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI, 2010 Jetta TDI
If it's a loud sucking noise or a hissing noise when under boost, you probably have a leak in the hose/pipe between the turbo and the intercooler. Do you notice black smoke too?

One possibility could be that the hose that comes off the pressure side of the turbo (part # 1JO145822H) has a leak and needs new seals or replacement. But good to check all the piping for leaks.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Boost leaks can be kind of frustrating to find because if you are sitting in the driveway revving the engine, the turbo will not come up on boost because there is no load on the engine.

To put it up on boost while the car is not moving, you have to gently feather the clutch while in 1st gear until the engine starts to lug. Usually you will hear a hissing sound were there is a boost leak.

Only lug the engine for a few seconds at a time so you don't fry the clutch.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I posted on here a while back about my turbo being really loud, I can't find the original post so I'm posting again. I remember what a couple people said to look for . I found the black sooty area, but what do I do now? I have no idea how to fix this and every time I take it to my mechanic he says there is nothing wrong with it. I swear if I hear "it's a diesel, diesels are louder than gas cars" again I am going to smack him. A how to video would be awesome.
You cannot smack someone for not understanding your issue. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/6Uf4PCTYkkc/hqdefault.jpg

Taking a TDI to most gasser car mechanics is a lot like taking an ailing house plant to the Vet.

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Pull off intake boot on turbo, stick fingers in and try and pull/push and side to side wiggle the spindle. if you have any play in it what so ever, the bearing is going out and your driving in a ticking time bomb. It should feel tight and with out play.
Wrong.

Don't listen to this guy. Again.

A turbo that is not running will always have shaft play, as there's no oil running through it. It's determining what is allowable.

The allowable tolerance is between 0.010" and 0.020" measured radially at the nose nut. So 0.015" is bang on.
Axial play should be between 0.001" and 0.004"

curtains21

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 jetta tdi 5 speed manual
My wife's car has started making the same noise as mine now. Hers is identical to mine but hers is an automatic. I would think if it was a leaky line somewhere a check engine light would come on. I dealt with something similar on my 04 jetta wagon, I did the doggie collar up top and had to replace a boost hose clamp on the lower side. That was fairly simple, this is driving me nuts.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Wrong.
Don't listen to this guy. Again.
A turbo that is not running will always have shaft play, as there's no oil running through it. It's determining what is allowable.
The allowable tolerance is between 0.010" and 0.020" measured radially at the nose nut. So 0.015" is bang on.
Axial play should be between 0.001" and 0.004"
did i say to take a gauge to it, NO. i said should feel*
no person on this earth can feel 0.010-0.020 or for that matter even 0.004 with your fingers. Im talking about substantial play here. You need to ease up bro, i have blown 3 turbos and this is how i know. I can go to the stock turbo i took off when i upgraded and i can easily pull the spindle i would say 3/16" forward and back and side to side is also a bit noticeable, maybe 1/8" more hearing it smack around than feeling it move. and every turbo i have that is in good shape has no feelable movement like that. List of turbos i have laying around, stock AHU, 3 cummins turbos, a gt2052, Old K03, and one from a volvo. I just went out to the garage and did this test and they all feel stiff and no play or movement save for the stock AHU turbo that i basically melted. Ran 1900F for more than one second when i put in my .764's with the stock turbo. yea you heard me, i roasted it, thank god i had my AUBER gauges so i knew that i had to limp it home from down the street and swap it out to the gt2052 that i got for it. I just wanted to go for a test joy ride lol.

So i had to go digging around in my book marks to find it but i thought i knew that my turbo was F'ed beucase i read on this site that you can feel the wiggle. Found it. Im not trying to call you out bro, i respect your builds and knowledge that surpasses my own, im no where near your level.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=285806
You said " Compressor blades look just fine, no serious wiggle or push in and out ."
So what is it? your contradicting yourself? this is
Do me a favor and relax and try not to say things like *dont listen to this guy again* but rather say things factually and with out personal attack

Last edited:

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Mongler, you made a factually false statement.
Jeremy corrected it. The truth can hurt.:)

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=285806
You said " Compressor blades look just fine, no serious wiggle or push in and out ."
So what is it? your contradicting yourself? this is
Do me a favor and relax and try not to say things like *dont listen to this guy again* but rather say things factually and with out personal attack
I stand by my comment. See what you highlighted in red? That's me stating determinable play. No serious is not no. Yes you can determine a good cartridge vs a very bad without feeler gauges. Just feelers.

I did not say "any shaft play is driving a ticking time bomb " like you did. That's just freaking the guy the F*ck out. You need to relax with your telling me to relax. I'll calm down responded no one in the universe.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Guys, come on here, don't start a pissing match because it makes both of you look bad. Yes, you both are right, and yes you both are wrong. A little axial play (a very little) is normal if the cartridge isn't under oil pressure, and a little radial play is normal too: once again, very little. OP, spin the turbo shaft with your fingers and see if it rubs and stops or gives a ting-ting while it is spinning. If it does get a mirror and some sort of light and look at the compressor inlet and see if it is less than shiny or if it shows signs of dragging. If you find either of those then yes there may be something wrong with the turbo's lifespan, but after re-reading this post I am thinking you likely have a boost leak. Very recently I had an odd squealing noise that started happening after 10 PSI of boost and it only got louder with more boost but it did not change pitch; I knew it was a boost leak because I did double-check and pull the pipes off of the turbo to physically inspect it for wear or grinding or oil leaking and it had none. It occurred to me the intake manifold gasket was leaking, and it was; I tightened the loose bolts and the noise went away completely. Just my $0.02

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
Guys, come on here, don't start a pissing match because it makes both of you look bad. Yes, you both are right, and yes you both are wrong. A little axial play (a very little) is normal if the cartridge isn't under oil pressure, and a little radial play is normal too: once again, very little. ... Just my $0.02
Woah woah don't add more corroborating information. That just makes you look bad.

I guess your $.02 is worth more.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
all of what i said is very actuate, 2 times i have seen and heard a cummins melt the edges of the turbo exhaust fins. it makes a hell of a loud sucking sound. Nothing i said was inaccurate but i will say the chance of him melting a turbo is like 99% unlikely because its probably stock setup. I fail to see how saying driveshaft play that is noticeable with your fingers is not a ticking time bomb because it is. i have never seen a turbo in good condition that has that kind of play in it. You please show me how 3mm+ (about what i can feel) in movement of play is not a BAD THING in ANY turbo anywhere and i will kiss your salty azz