RNS 510 SD card

mejpassat

TDI
2015 Passat TDi (NOS), 2014 passat TDI (Buy back), 2001 Tdi Golf (Gifted to Son)
The NOS 2015 Passat SEL TDi that I purchased did not have the owners manual set in the car (working on that with VW Care).
I was wondering what the max size of SD card can be used in this unit (RNS 510).
I was also wondering if there is a limitation on files when copying music from the sd card to the hard drive.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Don't take this as gospel, but not only should you consider size, but also read speed: "There are also different classes. These refer to the read and write speeds. Currently in use are Class 2 - which means 2 MBytes/second, Class 4 - 4 MB/sec and Class 6 at 6 MB/sec. The problem with this is that different manufacturers measure different things with it, some measure write speeds, others read speeds. There are also differences because some give guarantees, and others simply say that the speeds they indicate are the maximum achievable under good conditions."

There seems to be strong agreement that 32gig is fine and probably twice that would work. It seems to be more of a problem accessing all the files in a timely manner with the larger SDs.

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
The NOS 2015 Passat SEL TDi that I purchased did not have the owners manual set in the car (working on that with VW Care).
I was wondering what the max size of SD card can be used in this unit (RNS 510).
I was also wondering if there is a limitation on files when copying music from the sd card to the hard drive.

Anything with the letters RNS in front of it which stands for Retarded Navigation System is the biggest pieces of Schitz.... Run if possible

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
How do you WIPE the sound/nav system for those turning in our VW's? Anyone ever do this? In one swipe instead of one song at a time LOL?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Talking about the HARD DISK DRIVE. I have the fender system that has a hard drive and it's about about a gig of music I want to wipe off. :eek:
Unless yours is a SSD drive get a large super power magnet that may erase the HDD. I believe the 2015's are SSD and older have a HDD.
Just a thought.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Only if you want to destroy the unit . . . not much sense in that. Sorry I missed the HDD part . . . never used that myself, just my SD card . . . HDD is too small to be of much use other than for OS . . .

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
Only if you want to destroy the unit . . . not much sense in that. Sorry I missed the HDD part . . . never used that myself, just my SD card . . . HDD is too small to be of much use other than for OS . . .

Yeah but what I have found is the music sounds SOOO much better spinning off the hard drive. My minivan (Chrysler) is the same way. Music on the HDD just sounds deeper and richer. Don't get me wrong, I've used the USB connection and what I refer to as my micro-8TrackTape and since my system could only handle 32gb drives, I put my best music on the HDD.

But I did figure out a work around.

You have to go into MEDIA and select the HDD
If you select the little box next to each music folder, it will let you DELETE it.
BUT (I think this is a BIG FLAW) or a bug, but you can't delete the remaining folder because the system tags it as IN USE. So, I created another folder, copied one song into it, then went back and deleted the folder with the rest of the music.

So, I turn in the car with ONE song. Highway song by Greta Van Fleet (if you like Zeppelin, look them up on youtube). Everything else was erased (nav, phone, contacts, stations, etc). :D

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
No argument that Bluetooth sounds bad, but the data/sound is the same for HDD and SD card . . . I've tried both, and the HDD isn't worth the work, considering I can load the SD card on my computer trivially . . . all 32GB of it . . . The HDD and SD get the same data, so about the only difference I can imagine isnthe HDD accessing a teeny bit faster.