ACTUAL purchases of '15 USED (buyback) TDIs

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
Yes, around the bay area it seems like fixed 2015s are arriving at dealerships every other week or so, and a bunch are CPO'd which is nice.

chanachang

TDI
2015 GSW S 6MT; 2013 JSW S 6MT (buyback March 2018)
Yes, around the bay area it seems like fixed 2015s are arriving at dealerships every other week or so, and a bunch are CPO'd which is nice.
I just picked up a low-mileage CPO 2015 GSW a couple of weeks ago and said goodbye to my high-mileage 2013 JSW yesterday. I come out about $2,000 ahead on the transaction, which was nice. :)
I am wondering how I'll be notified when Phase 2 is available, though. I'm hoping it won't be too long of a wait, as I'm ready to put all this dieselgate stuff behind me...

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
There are about 120 2015 TDI's within 50 miles of the Greater Akron/Cleveland area for sale. Out of those 20 are manuals.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
There are about 120 2015 TDI's within 50 miles of the Greater Akron/Cleveland area for sale. Out of those 20 are manuals.
Sure they're manuals? I've seen many posts that state manual, but then I look at the pics and see the automatic gear shift (they say manual because you CAN manually up/down shift the automatic). Manuals are still pretty hard to find around the Seattle area. Given that those who are selling manuals want ~$2-3k more than for the exact same vehicle with AT, I'm considering picking up an automatic instead.

chanachang

TDI
2015 GSW S 6MT; 2013 JSW S 6MT (buyback March 2018)
Did anyone who purchased a used 2015 receive a phase 2 letter yet? I was advised to file a claim for my car after I purchased it, but just received an email saying that my claim is ineligible. I wasn't trying to get the monetary compensation, just get the claim number for phase 2, but does my ineligibility mean I can't get phase 2? Or will I be contacted another way?

I guess I'm just confused and am wondering if anyone else who, like me, bought a used 2015 with phase 1 already done has actually gotten any communication about phase 2...

joshuafail

TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Bought my 2015 in Jan. Nothing yet. When I asked dealer, they said it’s in the worlds but nothing about phase 2 yet.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I received a Phase 2 letter for my previously untitled '15 a couple weeks ago. Not going to do anything with it.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Did anyone who purchased a used 2015 receive a phase 2 letter yet? I was advised to file a claim for my car after I purchased it, but just received an email saying that my claim is ineligible. I wasn't trying to get the monetary compensation, just get the claim number for phase 2, but does my ineligibility mean I can't get phase 2? Or will I be contacted another way?

I guess I'm just confused and am wondering if anyone else who, like me, bought a used 2015 with phase 1 already done has actually gotten any communication about phase 2...
I bought a 2015 Passat last month. After finding out the PO skipped the 40k service, I took it in last week to change the fuel filter and do the DSG service.

My advisor notified me that it has an open recall for the Phase 2.

I would suggest calling your service advisor and ask him/her to run your VIN.

But technically it should be available for ALL 2015 TDI's regardless of how long you have owned it.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
For years I have been a TDI fan and was seriously considering buying when dieselgate hit. I figured at the time, oh well, no TDI for you!!!

The last week or two I have been seeing a lot of dieselgate cars driving around and wondered *** is going on.

Nice to see some, if not most did not end up in the crusher.

So what was “the fix” and what does it mean in terms of mpg/performance. Looks like I may be back in the hunt. Would love a 6 speed wagon.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
You get insane wty and same torquey 50mpg.
Jump in, never look back

dj7373

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (5 speed), 2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
So I had (still have but it's not drive-able) my heavily modded '01 TDI then I got into a '17 Alltrack, been having issues w/ it and want to get rid of it. And I find out that the buybacks are hitting the market as CPOs now. Good timing and I really miss my diesel. So I'm looking at some '15 GSW TDIs and the price is right but what am I looking at warranty wise if I buy one CPO?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
So I had (still have but it's not drive-able) my heavily modded '01 TDI then I got into a '17 Alltrack, been having issues w/ it and want to get rid of it. And I find out that the buybacks are hitting the market as CPOs now. Good timing and I really miss my diesel. So I'm looking at some '15 GSW TDIs and the price is right but what am I looking at warranty wise if I buy one CPO?
Should be 11yr/unlimited mile warranty.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Should be 11yr/unlimited mile warranty.
Yes, on the drivetrain. The CPO bumper to bumper would cover 2 yrs/24k (or maybe unlimited) miles. If the 2015 was sold in spring of 2017 then you'd also have the balance of the 3yr/36k mile factory warranty.

bitslop

TDI
2015 GSW TDI S Manual
Yes, on the drivetrain. The CPO bumper to bumper would cover 2 yrs/24k (or maybe unlimited) miles. If the 2015 was sold in spring of 2017 then you'd also have the balance of the 3yr/36k mile factory warranty.
For the TDI CPOs, it is indeed an additional 2yrs/∞, that runs after the factory warranty expires. Look for the in-service date; if you buy a stop-sale vehicle, you may find some with an in-service date of only 1 year ago, giving you effectively 4 years of factory/CPO warranty, in addition to the emissions warranty (this is the case with the one I bought, for instance). The VW dealer should be able to tell you the in-service date if you ask (in my experience, carfax is pretty accurate with this, as well).

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Specific to the fix, not anything offered as part of the CPO warranty.
From the VW website:
https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/2-0-models/
The “Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty” will apply to all vehicles that receive an Approved Emissions Modification, and will cover all replaced components that are part of the Approved Emissions Modification, any component that reasonably could be impacted by effects of the Approved Emissions Modification, and the engine subassembly. The Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty also provides for a loaner vehicle if emissions warranty service will last longer than 3 hours.
The Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty period for 2009-2014 model year vehicles will be the greater of:
(a) 4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever comes first, from date and mileage of implementing the Emissions Modification, except for vehicles offered for resale, in which case from the date and mileage of the first resale transaction after the modification to the first person who in good faith purchases the vehicle for purposes other than resale, or
(b) 10 years or 120,000 actual miles from the initial date of purchase (whichever comes first).
For 2015 model year vehicles, the warranty period will be the greater of:
(a) 11 years or 162,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR
(b) 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of Phase 1 of the emissions modification. At the time of the subsequent Phase 2 modification, the extended warranty will be honored for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of the completion of Phase 2.

chirping

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Newbie to the TDI scene. Bought my Passat SEL on 4/20/18 from Vic Bailey in Spartanburg, SC. They said then that they had no idea on phase 2.

I will say that finding a Passat TDI around here wasn't easy. The one I actually wanted to get was sold the morning I went to buy it, so I ended up in another I like. I've been watching their website's inventory and it seems like they're selling them as quickly as they get them.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
Yeah, they dont usually remain on my lot more than 5 days before they are sold.
So is there any way to "order" one? Meaning does the dealer have the ability to look for one that is in the queue to get fixed and return to circulation?

My wife is looking for a specific color combination, which I had to fly to get for her when we bought new in 2014. Now I'm looking to do a buyback and get 2 in place of the 1 returned, but to keep her happy, I need to get 1 of them to more or less match what she has now. I've got some time, and can get 1 of the replacements before the buyback happens, then just get the second one with the buyback money, and pay off whatever small loan I might need on the first.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
So is there any way to "order" one? Meaning does the dealer have the ability to look for one that is in the queue to get fixed and return to circulation?

My wife is looking for a specific color combination, which I had to fly to get for her when we bought new in 2014. Now I'm looking to do a buyback and get 2 in place of the 1 returned, but to keep her happy, I need to get 1 of them to more or less match what she has now. I've got some time, and can get 1 of the replacements before the buyback happens, then just get the second one with the buyback money, and pay off whatever small loan I might need on the first.
There is no official way. Your best bet is to find either a dealer or someone with access to car auctions hunt for a car at auction that meets your spec.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Find a dealer with a good reputation in your area and find out who buys the TDIs at auction for them. Tell them what you're looking for and your price range. I suspect they'll be happy to look for a car for you. If you're patient you may get what you want.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
So is there any way to "order" one?
Not so much in the sense that they can send in an order and it will be filled.

But if you can convince your sales manager, when they see one available for sale with your exact wants, they can take it.

It’s more of a

Vw: Here’s what we have available...

Dealer: I’ll take these ...

as opposed to

Dealer: Here’s what I want...

Vw: We will find one for you.

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
Are they really selling that fast now?

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I haven't been around here for a little while, but my plan all along was to do the buyback as late as possible. My 2013 TDI with 90k miles is running great.

But "as late as possible" is soon approaching. I've been watching the CPO inventory within 200 miles of where I live and it seems there are attractive deals out there. I'm interested in a 2015 Jetta or Passat CPO with very low miles (under 30k), probably an SEL. Looks like I can get one somewhere around $16k, give or take.

Seems that there are more and more CPO '15's coming onto the market. I wonder if waiting as long as possible might be a good idea. Any thoughts?

Also, what about resale down the road? Seems that globally diesels are falling out of favor. Any thoughts on that?

clickscrazy

TDI
12 Jetta (Gone), 14 Passat (Buy-Back), 14 Touareg (Maybe)
Not seeing anyone who purchased a 14 yet. A T-reg experience would be great.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
You might want to try a site like Carvana.com. You can't "order" them to find a specific combo, but online retailers may have a larger inventory than your local dealer, and will arrange shipping.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
I finally made the leap and bought a CPO 2015 Passat SE this past weekend. Car is still at the dealer, since it needed the windshield replaced (crack) and a dent fixed, etc. So I get another week or two of driving my wonderful 2013 with MT. Just couldn't find another manual near me in good shape after six months of searching, so gave up and went with a DSG. Couldn't pass up the price: $14,350 + TTL, at 27k miles. That price combined with the emissions warranty and 2-yr B-to-B that comes with the CPO seems like a pretty good deal to me. And the 2015 drove pretty well during my test drive - while it's no manual, it still moves well and my wife is happy since she'll actually be able to drive it also. (If I'm honest, being the only one capable of driving my 2013 was another perk.) Once I have the car and start driving it more I'll update with any further impressions. For now, I need to schedule the return of my 2013. That will be a sad day.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
while it's no manual, it still moves well and my wife is happy since she'll actually be able to drive it also. (If I'm honest, being the only one capable of driving my 2013 was another perk.) Once I have the car and start driving it more I'll update with any further impressions.
The DSG moves as well as any manual if you think different it is all in your head. I shifts faster than you could on your best day using both hands and both feet.