Does this sound like intermittent 109 relay?

jrjackso

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Hey,

2000 vw jetta tdi. It's recently been really hot here (30 Celcius + ) and my car wouldn't start. (Temperature may or may not be related.) Kept sounding like it was trying to turn over. On the dash, no glow plug light. I kept trying and finally got the light and got it going - drove it home..

Once I shut it off at home, same problems. I scanned it with VAG-COM and had glow plug code (I get these though b/c I think I have mismatched glow plugs?), and my instrument cluster (#17) was reporting ECM No Communications - Interrmittent. I've never read off the ECM thing, but like I said, glow plug I've seen many times before and it comes back occasionally.

Anyhow, the big symptoms it seems now are: if I get glow plug light, it works. If I don't it doesn't work. And it's intermittent, although leaning towards not starting at all now it seems :(. Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Jason

As FYI, I've got the ECM out and sitting beside me on my table. The 109 is out as well, beside that. The ecm looks like it's in good condition (inside at least). The connectors are clean, etc. The 109 doesn't look too terrible, but not sure - know what procedure I could use to test the relay?

Last edited:

jrjackso

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Well, I replaced the relay and my car is starting (bonus). I guess we'll see if it keeps it up! Crossing my fingers, which is what I'm normally doing w/ this vehicle :p

jrjackso

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I'm getting pretty confident replacing the relay fixed it for me. It's been starting reliably again. If anyone is looking for the 109 part in Hamilton, ON, Canada area (the dealership is closed on the weekend, so I looked elsewhere), I got one from A&A Discount Auto (877 Barton St., Stoney Creek). It was under "Fuel Inj. Relay" and cost ~$8.

-Jason