4 new glow plugs & 109 relay. still GP light?

01whttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
03 TDi Wagon, stock and loving it.... for now.
tonight i replaced all my glow plugs and made sure the they were all attached in the harness and in properly....then i changed the 109 relay(thinking this might be a cure to some of my lack of power) and i still think it feels slow and the GP light is still blinking.
i think i will replace the N75 next but i was wondering if someone has some more insight in this as i know most of you are much more knowledgable(for now;)) than i am with the TDi's.
anyone in the vancouver area wanna vag-com scan for me? and not charge me an arm and leg to find the code?

thanks a bunch
john/newbie/dummy

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
You need a VAG-COM scan to find out what the problem is... no need to throw parts at the problem.

VW Petrolero

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 Golf SW 1.8 TSI
Check your brake light bulbs.
I can scan it for you for a reasonable rate .
Give me a call tomorrow at work.(604) 879-3800
Later
Tony
Andes Auto Service
Vancouver BC

01whttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
its not so much as throwing parts at the problem as i just got the car and it has 170XXXkms on it so im not opposed to replacing the parts that tend to go on these cars over time....its more peace of mind that i know which parts are new and i can rely on them.

i plan on the vag-com tomarrow but i thought i would get a little insight from you's guys! and i thought i might try to get a bro deal on the vag-com thing.

thanks
john

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
Did you reset the light? When I had a glow plug go bad, it threw a CEL. After replacing the plug, I used a standard OBD II reader to reset the CEL. I now have VAG-COM, but I imagine the proceedure is the same.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Flashing gp light isn't gp's. You may have needed them, but if you still have them, you probably have at least 2-3 spares. Relay 109? Don't blame you, but it wasn't your problem either.

So you say the brake lights work. That is the most common excuse for the gp light flashing. Get it scanned. You can drive down the coast 1600 kms and I'll help.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
VW Petrolero said:
Later
Tony
Andes Auto Service
Vancouver BC
So much for fellow orgers lending a helping hand.... with no strings attached. :rolleyes:

timmyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
VW Petrolero said:
Later
Tony
Andes Auto Service
Vancouver BC
just help the guy out, this isn't a forum to increase profit for your business

01whttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
timmyd said:
just help the guy out, this isn't a forum to increase profit for your business
haha..
thanks guys..
well ive had the brake light switch go on me before in another TDi i had and it threw a CEL and not the flashing GP light im getting now. it also made me lose
ALL my power when it went before and now, my car just seems sluggish.....could be the fact that im coming from an 02 GTi which was a rocket and im just not used to the differece in the power yet?
i think i might have to just take it, and go get it scanned:eek:

hmmm 1600miles? 2 tanks of fuel????? might be worth it and i can get out of this damn rain! haha
thank you guys so much.
john

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
At the very least, get yourself a $50(US) OBDII code reader. I recommend the Actron PocketScan. Even though I have a Vag-Com at home, I carry the little one with me.

Hobhancock

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 TDI Platinum grey 5 speed
This is what I just went through. I just bought an 01 NB with the glow plug light flashing. I took the brake switch out and cleand up the contacts but that did not help. Then I blew the fuse to the ABS. So I had the brake light and GP light flashing as well as the beeping noise. I put in a new brake switch then pressed the brake pedal and I did not have any brake lights. I started pulling bulbs and found that both brake lights and the turn signal bulbs were all burnt out. I changed all the bulbs and then ran it around the block. No more GP flashing, cruise control is back and all the lights work and nothing on the dash including the beeping. That stupid little switch can cause so much grief.

No on to the noise I am getting from the front tire, the fog lights dont work and the wire to the temp sensor is broken. But there is progress.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
01whttdi said:
hmmm 1600miles? 2 tanks of fuel????? might be worth it and i can get out of this damn rain! haha
thank you guys so much.
john
Closer to 1600 km. My best guess - 400+ miles from Portland OR (8 hour drive with no major slowdowns) - so I'm guessing you have at least another 400+ miles.

Yes, rain. We expect it this evening.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Basically anything that is plugged into the "small" connector (at least on my TDI) can make the glow plug light flash.

01whttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
SO.....alot of you guys were right...its was the brake switch!
i went so to see tony at Andes auto and he gave me a great deal on the Vag-com and showed me it was the switch...
thank you very much tony! i will definaetly recommend you to anyone with diesels...or any VW for that matter.
Andes auto= good:)
thanks for all your help guys.
john

VW Petrolero

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 Golf SW 1.8 TSI
01whttdi said:
SO.....alot of you guys were right...its was the brake switch!
i went so to see tony at Andes auto and he gave me a great deal on the Vag-com and showed me it was the switch...
thank you very much tony! i will definaetly recommend you to anyone with diesels...or any VW for that matter.
Andes auto= good:)
thanks for all your help guys.
john
You are very WELCOME John.
Like I told you and to all Club Members Advice is Free but if I have to work in the car I have to charge you and my rates are very reasonable.
Later
Tony
Andes Auto Service
Vancouver BC

timmyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
VW Petrolero said:
You are very WELCOME John.
Like I told you and to all Club Members Advice is Free but if I have to work in the car I have to charge you and my rates are very reasonable.
Later
Tony
Andes Auto Service
Vancouver BC
You should be registered as a vendor if you are going to charge anyone for services that you offer through this forum, just like any other business.

01whttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
no i think tony is right here...he is a trained mechanic that will give any advice you ask for, which is alot more than any mechanic ive ever met would do..and any advice is free!
but when you have a business and someone brings his/her car to the business to get a mechanic to work on it, the mechanic is giving a service and should charge for his services. after all, thats thier livelyhood.

tony gave me the right advice for free but i needed his services for something i didnt have(tools)and he gave me a really good deal.. i dont mind paying for services to a good honest mechanic.
i thank you guys for looking out for me and eachother...i love this forum!

thank you again tony and i'll be seeing you if i ever need anything done on my TDi!
john

Last edited:

VW Petrolero

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 Golf SW 1.8 TSI
Thanks John

I am happy for the local replies .Not somebody that doesn't know me .If somebody from Ontario wants me to get out of TDI Club page because I give free advice and charge for my services I really don't listen much to.
If Fred tells me that I suppose to be a Vendor I will .But I think that I help this page a lot at no cost.
So I hope some more locals can chime in.
Later
Tony

timmyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
VW Petrolero said:
I am happy for the local replies .Not somebody that doesn't know me .If somebody from Ontario wants me to get out of TDI Club page because I give free advice and charge for my services I really don't listen much to.
If Fred tells me that I suppose to be a Vendor I will .But I think that I help this page a lot at no cost.
So I hope some more locals can chime in.
Later
Tony
by no means do I want you out, the more experts here the better:) . But I feel that if you are offering services for a fee, unless you are a vendor, this may not be the place for it. I believe vendors pay for the right, which in turn supports this site.

VW Petrolero

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 Golf SW 1.8 TSI
Vendor ot Not Vendor That is the Question

Talking to Fred .He suggested me that I don't need to be a Vendor ,because I am not offering parts to sale instead I offer my services and parts installed.So I should state that in my signature .Which I did ,and I hope this settle this matter.
Later
Tony

timmyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
VW Petrolero said:
Talking to Fred .He suggested me that I don't need to be a Vendor ,because I am not offering parts to sale instead I offer my services and parts installed.So I should state that in my signature .Which I did ,and I hope this settle this matter.
Later
Tony
Good with me!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
timmyd said:
You should be registered as a vendor if you are going to charge anyone for services that you offer through this forum, just like any other business.
95% of our TDI timing belt gurus charge for their work, and are not registered as vendors. Same with the auto sales guys like 3193 and SCEHAR an Harvieux. Selling services is different from selling parts.