CR Blown Headgasket...

emmkayJuan

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI's, Porsches, & Unique Bits
Thought I'd post this up to see if anyone has experienced a blown headgasket on the '09+ CR's. Quick back story...

Recently bought an extremely clean '09 Sportwagen with a seized turbo from it's original owner. Extensive dealer service history (not that that's always good, but the guy was meticulous). This included a full fuel system replacement at 93k for HPFP failure, and a timing belt service at 120k. Car had 159k at the time of purchase.

I fixed the car, upgraded to the CR170 turbo, deleted EGR, Buzzken exhaust, Malone Stage 3 & DSG programs. During the work I noticed the expansion tank contained a lot of brown murk and I assumed an inappropriate coolant mixture somewhere along the line. The "coolant" was also murky and mostly water. The heat was not working in the car so a plugged heater core could fall in line with a coolant mixture.

I ran the car for a month and ~5k miles without issue. I live in Florida so heat hasn't been necessary. However, I decided I wanted to replace the nasty expansion tank and flush the cooling system. All went well and I was able to remove a good amount of muck from the system & heater core. There was a decent amount of corrosion in the hoses, likely from the high water content of the coolant and possibly due to a coolant mixture.

A week later the car starts producing, white sweet-smelling smoke and is loosing coolant at a minimal rate. There's also some minor pressuring (bubbling) in the expansion tank. I'm going to check for exhaust gas in the cooling system today and possibly perform a leak down. I suspect a very small head gasket leak. I'm only about 5k miles into my Malone Stage 3, and I use the car for daily highway driving. There are plenty of guys out there with this set-up so I don't suspect the upgrades caused the issue. I think the culprit is corrosion that freed-up during the flush and has exposed a small leak. But, I've been wrong before.

Just thought I'd share my experience and ask a few questions:

1.) Has anyone else experienced a blown headgasket on these CR cars for whatever reason? I haven't found much.

2.) Has anyone had to send off a head to be checked and/or rebuilt and should my usual machine shop specializing in headwork be able to handle a CR head? They've done ALH heads in the past.

3.) Should I consider headgasket sealer and dumping the car? Lol!

Thanks in advance!

-Patrick

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Could a leaky EGR cooler be the problem? I'm not the least bit familiar with the set-up on your "09.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
I would try tightening the head bolts a bit . You might be lifting the head

emmkayJuan

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI's, Porsches, & Unique Bits
Only if your a dick!

I'm not. Well, except when it comes to grammar (you're).

I got a few quotes to pay someone else to fix it (TDI guy of course) since my time right now is very limited...and this car is my workhorse. Roughly $1500 including sending out the head to be checked. At that price I can't justify unloading the car.

Still open to other chiming in on their experiences though.

lagat

TDI
1.9 litre 4-cylinder 110hp (A4 type)
A blown head gasket is a very serious problem, in fact, if you have one, your car probably isn't running. But, just because your car isn't running, doesn't mean you've blown the head gasket.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
Sorry to say but it 99% is a bad head gasket . Pull the head have a shop machine the deck of the head ( must pull valves) and install a new head gasket and up grade the bolts from Dark side . This way you can use you upgrades to the fullest.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I'm not. Well, except when it comes to grammar (you're).
That is pretty funny... I was reading this old thread wondering why I posted on it and I'm like dammit... I used your and not you're and I was making fun of myself then I read a little further and realized you already called me out for it.

I love old threads.