11mm 107j pump + sdi 038e cam installed. Problems.

MTZ

TDI
AFN
Hi, i just installed on my AFN a 11mm fuel pump from alh and sdi cam 038e. I set the timing on the 3 marks, according to autodata ilustration.

First start, white continuous smoke ( blown head gasket like), missfires in intake, runing lumpy.
I hooked vcds, dynamic timing off the chart. I retarded the pump to~60 timing. The same white smoke, engine runing lumpy, idle lumpy, low power. I played with timing from injection pump sprocket all day. Because of lumpy idle it was bouncing between how i set it and 38. For example in vcds injection start spec is 5 deg BTDC and actual bouncing between 27 deg btdc and 0.

Before that, the car was runing normal. I even swapped back to my .216 bosch nozzles, i thought it was too much fuel.

Is there any chance that the pump is mechanically 180 deg off? Or a different mechanical adjustment of the cam, because it opens early and closes later?

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
The possibility exists that the IQ is set too high (numerically low) and that is causing the lumpy idle, compounding the overall situation. Maybe reduce the fuel from the pump (hammer mod) temporarily to be able to set the more basic parameters, like timing, and then reintroduce more fuel to the equation?

Sent from my mobile look-at device

All Stock

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
Sounds like belt is a tooth off. Marks may be good but it doesn't run like it. Its not the first time I have heard of that being the case. On my AHU I had to set it one tooth off at the pump on the belt and everything dialed in perfectly.

arazvan2002

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 B6 1.9TDI AVF quattro
Check the timming. Shouldn't be any problem with your setup. It was used by a friend of mine ( @bios84bog ) without problems.

MTZ

TDI
AFN
Update: the pump was 180 degrees backwards from camshaft.

Now is running, a little white smoke when coming on throttle, idle is a little lumpy, probably IQ - timing related.

Next step, hook up VCDS. Keep you posted.

MTZ

TDI
AFN
Iq was 0.8-1 and timing off the chart. Hammer mode the pump to iq 4.8 - 5 and set timing to 65. Runs beautiful.

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Is the SDi cam considered an upgrade, please? Ive seen various threads over the years and not seen any dyno figures etc to back up any gains?

MTZ

TDI
AFN
I can t tell for now, because my turbo is not making any boost. I will swap my msa15 ecu to edc15vm, clean the turbo and make a proper map. The cam, at least visually, it is definately more flat ( the end of the lobes) than the stock one, so it should be an upgrade.

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Sdi cam have little more exhaust duration not so much difference

Better to go for dbilas 260/260 9.9 ore the nps 10mm cam
Much more mid and top end pull power