Clutch gone?

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Today I was driving normally going up a hill in 1st gear, switched to second and boom rpms shoot up for sec and a knocking/grinding noise occurs. I stop and clutch doesnt grab, pedal feels normal car revs in neutral engine is fine all gears work, however moment I let the clutch go out slowly it makes a terrible grinding/knocking noise however engine revves fine and sound seems independent maybe the dmf? Clutch just doesnt work.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
shure it isn't one of your axles? I have had two blow on me recently and it had the same effect... my car was in second gear as well when the one blew

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
Wouldt one of the failed axle ends be on the ground? If op can look underneath the front of the car and see both axles attached then problem could be transmisson internals or clutch system related?

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Would make sense, couple months back had the axle leak grease from the boot, and the noise seems like its the drivers side... I need to remove the bottom shield to look at the axles.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Wouldt one of the failed axle ends be on the ground? If op can look underneath the front of the car and see both axles attached then problem could be transmisson internals or clutch system related?
no the first one i had go stayed attached. the reason i knew which one it was is because it had been clicking on sharp turns, and i just hadn't gotten the time to fix it (big mistake). the second one the bolts hadn't been torqued right and the backed out and twisted off (this one fell from the tranny)

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
How can I check.
put the car on jacks ease it into 1st. gear and see what shaft is turning without spinning the wheel. Just don't hurt yourself!!

if it's the trans side the shaft may not spin but the bolted part would...

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
not that i know of. if it's your axle (which is most likely) it just wore out and broke. all you should need is a new axle. though if one went the other may not be to far behind so it may be a good idea to do both. The car is not driving correct? as in the you let the clutch out and it doesn't move

to the extent of my knowledge if this were the clutch it would start slipping before anything else... but then again i could be wrong. maybe someone with some clutch experience will chime in.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
the knocking/grinding you hear is your bearings/CV being spun around.

it's a whole lot cheaper to replace axels than a clutch... so id start there.

Last edited:

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Lol so I took a look, turns out the axle pretty much just popped out of place, took a look at everything and theres nothing actually damaged or broken, just popped itself out. Whoever installed it did a crap job and didnt tighten the bolts, some of them were missing overall it was a mess down there. Gonna re attach it and re grease it as well as get new bolts and do the proper procedure myself.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
ok, just make sure everything is there. that is what happened to me the second time, but at the 15 mile speed i was going it threw bearings, grease and sheared bolts about the road. Hope its an easy fix for ya!