Looking for expert sleuths - identify a VW (car) Engine

Zanshin

TDI
VW 140-5 Marine
Hello everyone,

I have a 2.5l TDI VW Engine which was "marinized" for use on a boat. The marinization consists mainly of changing the cooling system to use external water and a differently chipped ECU that allows an emergency mode on certain faults which would halt the car version.

The whole marine engine division was sold to Mercury/Mercruiser and now I'm in a bit of bind regarding service and spare parts.

My problem is that it seems that my high-pressure injection pump is not working and needs to be replaced or refurbished. Unfortunately, the Mercruiser part number is 8M0067020 and goes for a whopping $5K, somewhat beyond what I think a part like this should go for.

My engine serial number is ANH002478 and unfortunately the location where the pump serial number is supposed to be affixed is blank. I can see 3 lines of stamped numbers on the casing just behind and above where the fuel-shutoff solenoid is located.

I have the shop manual for the engine, and an exploded diagram of the pump is located on page 305 of Workshop Manual VW Marine Boat Engine

I'd be ecstatic if a forum member can identify the car version of the pump that I'd need to order, as I'm assuming it will be a fraction of the Mercruiser price.

Typrus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Jetta Sedan GLS/TDI 5mt
Just as a heads up- if the high pressure pump let go internally you will be looking at essentially a whole new fuel system.

Zanshin

TDI
VW 140-5 Marine
I hope it won't quite come to that. I had some diesel technicians working on the engine and we saw that the pressure was there going into the pump but nothing coming out. The lines going out to the injectors were check and there were no obstructions or particles/residue in them, so it looks like whatever happened was indeed in the high-pressure pump.

I'm in the Caribbean right now and have access to just about nothing and certainly no VW Diesel expertise. I did get a connection and downloaded VCDS-Lite which shows error code 005474 and i checked the resistances of the 2 sets of wires as indicated in the shop manual and they were in range.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Just as a heads up- if the high pressure pump let go internally you will be looking at essentially a whole new fuel system.
Not on a rotary pump diesel.

Here are some better VW part numbers to try: 059 130 106 with a bunch of possible suffixes: C, D, E, J, L. If there's an x at the end it means it's a remanufactured pump, which I imagine is all you'll find. Not sure if this is for a 5 or 6 cylinder engine.

Last edited:

Zanshin

TDI
VW 140-5 Marine
My internet connection is spotty this evening, so I'll check out those serial numbers tomorrow. My engine is a 5-cylinder one.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Good luck. We did a fair amount of digging and couldn't find an exact pump for your engine code. Could be it's long gone. Your best bet may be to have the pump on the engine rebuilt by a good Bosch shop.

arniewallace

TDI
99GT TDi - 02 Bora Sport 130
That would be the same engine fitted to the 2.5 Transporter T4, its also fitted to some Volvo cars.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just have the pump rebuilt by a Bosch shop. Shouldn't be anything exceptionally strange in that regard.

FWIW, marine parts prices are always crazy high, no idea why. VAG has a whole Marine Diesel division, all that stuff should be available but no sense in spending more than you have to.

I'd call DFIS and ask them.

Zanshin

TDI
VW 140-5 Marine
Thanks for that advice.

I've been looking at the manual and it seems that removing the pump assembly is somewhat complex and requires special tools. I thought I might be able to remove the pump here and then once in the USA (I will be in Newport, RI - any recommended shops?) I'd get the pump refurbished or replaced and installed by an expert.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Just have the pump rebuilt by a Bosch shop. Shouldn't be anything exceptionally strange in that regard.

FWIW, marine parts prices are always crazy high, no idea why. VAG has a whole Marine Diesel division, all that stuff should be available but no sense in spending more than you have to.

I'd call DFIS and ask them.
Don't know about this particular application, but usually a lot of stainless steel or special materials, smaller market compared to cars, and a customer base that typically has $. Marine bottom paint used to contain a lot of copper salts (now some other biocide)- $150/gallon. Marine wiring will have the full length of every strand tinned to prevent corrosion - price typically about 4x automotive. etc

B.O.A.T. - bust out another thousand

Q. What are the two best days in a boat owner's life?

A. The day he buys his boat and day he sells it.

-boat owner

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I was going to suggest DFIS in Portland, but oilhammer beat me to it. I now only use DFIS when it comes to fueling my TDI; pump, injectors, nozzles, etc.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Don't know about this particular application, but usually a lot of stainless steel or special materials, smaller market compared to cars, and a customer base that typically has $. Marine bottom paint used to contain a lot of copper salts (now some other biocide)- $150/gallon. Marine wiring will have the full length of every strand tinned to prevent corrosion - price typically about 4x automotive. etc

B.O.A.T. - bust out another thousand

Q. What are the two best days in a boat owner's life?

A. The day he buys his boat and day he sells it.

-boat owner
Oh I knew that stuff, but the parts that ARE the same are almost always a lot more. If you price a connecting rod that is the same exact part, same part number, at a Volkswagen car dealer it will be less than if you priced it at a Marine dealer. And that is not just for Volkswagen. I helped a friend rebuild his marine Iron Duke years ago, and it was shocking how much more the boat dealer wanted for what was out of the box GM parts for the engine. They even came in a GM box, with some other sticker slapped over them. I guess the sticker added 50% to the cost, LOL.

Zanshin

TDI
VW 140-5 Marine
Markups of 5x or 10x for the same part when sold as "marine" versus "regular use" are not unknown. Many boat have Yanmar engines, but the same engines are used in Yanmar tractors and the differences in price between two identical parts is shocking. Likewise for cleaning materials and other boat consumables - they assume that boaters are either (a) gullible or (b) so rich they don't care. Unfortunately, one of those 2 reasons is almost always true so they get away with it.

Zanshin

TDI
VW 140-5 Marine
Update : I gave up on looking for Marine shops to help me. Using resources here on the forum I found Jesse at Banchwerks in Providence to help me. He recognized the pump and came aboard last week to replace the pump that we'd ordered. It turns out that it was a 4-banger pump but my engine is a 5-cylinder one, so that didn't work out. But he had more tricks up his sleeve and took apart the pump to find that there was gunk in the top end and that had burned out a part of the pump. He returned to the boat (on his weekend day off!) to replace that portion from an old pump he had and the engine fired up immediately!

Unfortunately it won't rev beyond 1200 :(

Now I'm going to use some liquid moly diesel purge to see if that might clear the pump or injectors and, failing that, am going to have the injectors checked and if they are OK then the pump needs to be ordered from Germany.

Thanks to all those here on the forum for their help; without this I would have gone to a marine shop that wasn't interested in helping me and would probably have taken my first born male child after draining all my bank accounts :)

Zanshin

TDI
VW 140-5 Marine
Thanks for the suggestions. I've ordered a refurbished pump from a vendor in Germany; the shipping via DHL Express was $200 but considering that I'm stuck here in Newport at the moment it is my best option. The pump will arrive on Friday and will be installed by Jesse from Banchwerks on Saturday and then I'll have a fully functioning engine again!

Thanks for all the support.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Well, you could be "stuck" in a lot worse places. :D If you have never been, you should head up to Bristol and see the Herreshoff Museum while you're waiting for your IP to arrive.

...considering that I'm stuck here in Newport at the moment...

Last edited:

Zanshin

TDI
VW 140-5 Marine
It is very nice (and pricey) in this neck of the woods and I'll travel around with a rental car to see the sights. Unfortunately I need to get to Annapolis to deliver the boat and then return to Europe in order to finance the repairs, so I'm on a tight schedule.

On a side note, the turbocharger was stuck and I removed it (that took longer than expected) and used the oven cleaner trick from this forum to let it soak overnight and loosen up some of the collected carbon deposits. That worked quite well and once the engine allows revving over 1200 RPM I'll make sure to give it some higher revs to burn off the carbon.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
The Herreshoff museum is only a half hour drive from Newport and well worth the trip if you're a sailor.

Zanshin

TDI
VW 140-5 Marine
I ordered a refurbished pump from Germany on Wednesday the 19th of June. Paid over $200 for "DHL express next day delivery". Their guarantee isn't worth much, despite my constant contact with them, the package didn't arrive until the following Thursday afternoon!

Jesse came and replaced the pump and after doing some work with getting the timing corrected the engine, unfortunately, still shows the same general symptoms and won't run correctly.

I've opened up a thread at Final Control Test - "Fuel cut-off valve" causes RPMs to increase describing some problems which I can't quite explain.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I have a friend who is a racing sailboat rigger in Newport. I'll ask him if he knows any diesel mechanics.