New mk7 features not highlighted.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
The key fob is ergonomic. The turn signal and wiper stalks have a beveled bottom lip that fits your finger better. Radio volume adjustment display is dependent on the location adjusted from; if you use the steering wheel adjustment it displays radio volume on the center gauge. If you use the head unit it will display on the head. Not really a big deal but it shows vw didn't skip over anything.

Sunroof can be used at highway speeds without terrible wind noise. Drivers window has terrible wind buffering at around 60mph but if you crack or open any window or sunroof the buffering is greatly decreased. Rear windows down worn front windows up creates a terrible buffering sound. But you can just crack a front window and it also greatly decreases the buffering wind. Is the correct term buffering or buffeting:confused: either way it's better than the mk6.

The mk6 when you went to full cold it forced interior recirculating. Mk7 doesn't do that. If you select max AC it goes full max cold, full fan, and recirc.

For those that love mpg. The car head unit tracks fuel use per tank, since start, and long term. The center display will give you a tip if your wasting fuel such as sport mode verse D or even if the windows are down.

ROD-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf S TDI 6-speed, 2017 Tiguan Limited, 2015 Golf R DSG/DCC/NAV.
Snip... For those that love mpg. The car head unit tracks fuel use per tank, since start, and long term. The center display will give you a tip if your wasting fuel such as sport mode verse D or even if the windows are down.
Has anybody actually checked the accuracy of the instrument MPG indications, versus what the trip odometer and gallons pumped math indicates? With rental cars we've found the dash indicators are typically 5-7% too high, indicating a MPG number that isn't supported by actual miles driven divided by fuel quantity pumped. This has involved a half dozen different current model vehicles, unfortunately not a VW which nobody rents. Is the VW MPG calculator system more accurate, based on actual observations?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I've rented two Volkswagens, a Jetta and a Passat, from Enterprise.

However, in all cases, I have found the MFA to be more accurate over a longer trip, but never perfectly on the nose as compared to GPS-checked distance driven and fuel station pump's displayed amount. However, it is reasonably close over a longer trip and to be honest I really don't care all that much. I know my TDIs use far less fuel than my gasser Volkswagens, that's enough for me.

Last edited:

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
good thread. hope to hear from many more 7 owners. maybe we call it the 7 series. lol

Chockomon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
The mk7 has a separate max cold button. One button will turn the temp to full cold, fans to full speed, and recirculating. The old mk6 had a single dial when turned to the full cold setting it would do the above.
Only on the 2012 and up models. The 2010 and 2011 have a semi-auto climatic system. My 2010 doesn't have just a low and hi setting, it has temperatures like a climatronic

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG/ 2015 Golf S Three Pedal
I like how the door bin is set up for a water bottle (both sides) no water on the floor and my soccer player son likes it

T_D_I_geek

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S 6-speed
Has anybody actually checked the accuracy of the instrument MPG indications, versus what the trip odometer and gallons pumped math indicates? With rental cars we've found the dash indicators are typically 5-7% too high, indicating a MPG number that isn't supported by actual miles driven divided by fuel quantity pumped. This has involved a half dozen different current model vehicles, unfortunately not a VW which nobody rents. Is the VW MPG calculator system more accurate, based on actual observations?
So far, my multi-function display indicated MPG's are 7-10% higher than my actual MPG. My odometer is accurate to within +/- 1%.

Is their a way to adjust the calibration of the multi-function display?

T_D_I_geek

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S 6-speed
Some of my favorite features not highlighted.....

Armrest. The über adjustable, supremely functional armrest (particularly for positioning your shifting arm) is brilliant.

The robust nature of the FE. Even with some spirited driving and occasional "honking on", the FE is still outstanding. Even with some stop-and-go traffic on the commute, the FE is still awesome. On my commute home this afternoon, I sat in stop-and-go traffic for 10 miles/45 minutes, and it still achieved ~48 mpg. To me, that is just amazing.

Steering wheel. The shape of the steering wheel is perfect - both the square bottom and the asymmetrical tubular section.

Manual gearbox shifting quality. Although great even when it had only 50 miles on it, now with over 1000 miles, the shift quality of the gearbox has improved substantially - it shifts effortlessly, with a satisfying "snick" as you notch it into each gear.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
good stuff...VW may have a winner! Pray for NO Fuel pump issues and I am all in.

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
What is the latch gate on the inside of the rear hatch door? It is storage for something but what? (Assuming I will be amazed and thrilled to go find this something and brag about how easy it is to store)

WiszMaster

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI - Silver, '06 Golf TDI, '06 MB 320 CDI
When the MFD shows the AVERAGE FE(not instant), pressing the OK square on the right steering wheel button set, changes between SINCE START, SINCE REFILL, SINCE BC.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
When the MFD shows the AVERAGE FE(not instant), pressing the OK square on the right steering wheel button set, changes between SINCE START, SINCE REFILL, SINCE BC.
Thank you!!!

Works to cycle the Travel Time and Average Speed as well.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not sure how much of this is new. the '12 has water bottle holders in the door pockets, armrest in the '15 I drove seemed similar to the '12, turn signal stalk didn't feel any different to me, and you can adjust speed with the cruise stalk in the '12, I think in 1 MPH increments.

I found the nanny reminder in Sport mode annoying, but I don't like cars that tell me what to do. It took me a while before I could ignore the upshift light in the '12. And sunroof buffeting that's "not terrible" is hardly a rave, when a B4 Passat can run with the sunroof open and no buffeting (correct term).

I like the new Golf, but it seems more evolutionary than revolutionary. That's fine, because I think the MKVI is great, too. No cloth seats and smaller fuel tank is disappointing, however, and I think the S version looks more like it's built to a price than the MKVI. SEL looks nice inside, however.

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Funny. Seems like an opportunity for a chair, or air pump, chains, since you want the bed clear in a hatch there is a bunch of stuff that might fit.

Does ANYONE have anything in this spot?

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased

Asmerrill

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Blue Silk Golf TDI SEL
...but can you "pre-set" the speed in 5 mph increments, using the +/- button, and then when you get close.... hit the resume button?

Yes. I do this before I'm getting on the freeway and once I'm on the on ramp, I just hit resume and off she goes. It's very nice.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Noticed today on the way home from work, while driving with cruise control on you can switch gears up or down without losing cruise.
Simply shift and go, no resume required

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

njiska

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 MkVII Golf
I also noticed that. A real surprise as every other car I've driven drops cruise as soon as you even think about touching the clutch. Comes in handy when you don't want to change speeds but may want more torque for a bit.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
You can also shut down the car while driving/moving with the start/stop button. 1st push it gives a warning on the dash that lasts about 5 seconds. Press it again and it shuts down. I was surprised it would do that. I don't think my BRZ will allow it to shut off but I want to go test again.

JBizz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 vw golf tdi
Is their a sensor in the key to lock the door if you walk away from the car?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

TDI
2015 Golf 6spd
I like the lowered garment hook on the driver's side. I can hang up my suit jacket without it blocking my view, brilliant.