fuel injector return line, leaking

dsljay

Veteran Member
Return line between 3 and 4 injector is leaking, simple repair. Maybe this should be a maintanence item? Has anyone else had to replace them?

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
I assume that these fuel injector return lines are about the same stuff on a TDI as they were on a 1982 diesel Rabbit. On my Rabbit, I had to replace glow plugs about every 4 years, and in so doing, I managed on occasion to crack the brittle fuel return lines. Since VW's replacement braided fuel return lines are flexible, I assumed that they get brittle over time from underhood heat.
Once they spring a leak, I am sure that even the slightest amount of lost diesel fuel will leave a strong odor. If you don't want to replace these fuel lines pre-emptively, perhaps it is a good idea to have about a meter of fuel return line on hand. (My VW dealer's parts department sells the hose by the meter.)
My 2000 Golf GLS-TDI hasn't been around long enough yet to develope such a problem.

riddei

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1997, Storm Grey
Cars Wanted is correct.

I have replaced my fuel lines twice, both times after working on the glow plugs. The second time I broke the fuel line to the #4 Cylinder. Diesel poured out and got in my clutch causing it to slip.

They get brittle with time, and I will replace them every 2 years or so (cheap fix).

justme

Veteran Member
Has anyone ever had the rubber cap at the end of the line on injector 4 blow out? On my old A1 diesels that used to blow out every 100k miles or so. I got to carrying a spare in the glove box. It looks like the same stupid cap on the TDI.

Metalnerd

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 Passat TDI Storm Grey
It is a great mainenance item that little hose. They always seem to get brittle every few years.

I never had the rubber cap blow off, on the A1, A2 or B4.

dsljay

Veteran Member
Cars wanted, I know what you mean about the "strong odor", and this at the time that my wife is looking to trade her TDI in on a left over mini van. Oh well!Anyone have any ideas on removing that smell?

justme

Veteran Member
The smell goes away eventually -- at least it always did on my A1s. What happened on the A1s is that the rubber cap would stay on but split, and fuel would spray all over the sound-proofing in the hood. The smell always went away eventually. I guess you could try getting it steam-cleaned.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
I blew that little rubber cap on a Volvo during a long trip. Pulled into an autoparts store just as the guy was locking up (Christmas eve). Popped a new one on and off I went. (Next thing to go was the accelerator cable linkage.) I consider these bypass hoses and caps something to keep in the car like fuses.

Diesel fuel will eventually evaporate, but any type of spray engine cleaner will take care of it.

dsljay

Veteran Member
My wife stoped and brought me two feet of hose. $7.30 Must be gold lined.LOL All the hoses where dryed and cracking. Washed the engine compartment. There was fuel laying below the radiator. Thanks all,

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Using the ETKA CD, I noticed that there was a part on the CD diagram of my engine, but NOT on my car. I ordered the parts from Impex Foreign Parts

Impex

Here's the pic

The clamps are on each injector and on the return line back to the fuel pump. I agree with everyone that the lines should still be checked for cracking and leaking.

Hope this helps

[ September 26, 2001: Message edited by: tongsli ]

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
I had those on the old Volvo. My mechanic said to toss them because they were a pain in the ass to deal with, being so small. Also, there's very little pressure in the return lines themselves. The contact between the hose and the nipple is tight enough to hold in the fuel.