Dashboard illumination not working

Bio-Beetle

Veteran Member
I have a 2001 VW Golf TDI and the dashboard/instrument panel illumination lights are not working. The warning/indicator lights are working, though. Any help would be greatly appreciated?

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
YOu mean in the instrument cluster and nowhere else? Or only the cluster is working and not the radio/AC/headlightSwitch?

Bio-Beetle

Veteran Member
The radio/AC/headlight switch is working. The night driving light that illuminates the speedometer area gauges is not working.

Bio-Beetle

Veteran Member
I found that my driver side tail light was out as well, so I replaced the bulb and that didn't fix the problem, so I checked the fuse (okay, I should've done that first) and found that the fuse was missing, so I replaced the fuse and voila, both dashboard illumination and tail light are now working. These two aren't really connected are they?

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
Yes, your tail light circuit and your tail light circuit are interconnected. It is this way on alot of cars. If your dash lights aren't working, your tail lights likely aren't working either. It was this way on my 78 monte carlo, my 87 toyota van, and my friend's '00 pathfinder. the transmission interlock was also on the same circuit in the pathfinder. He couldn't even drive to the store to get a new fuse!

Bio-Beetle

Veteran Member
Thanks for the info. I assume you mean my tail light circuit and dashboard illumination circuit are interconnected? /images/graemlins/smile.gif Now I know. And to think I believed my local VW dealer mechanic when he told me there was no fuse for the dashboard illumination. Glad I didn't take it in.

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
Ummm.... no, I was trying to point out the very tricky interaction between the tail light circuit, and the tail light circuit... It's difficult to find, and even more tricky to explain! /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif That's what i get for typing on a full stomach!

Bio-Beetle

Veteran Member
Thanks for trying anyway. The main thing is that all my lights are now working properly, and I didn't make the mistake of taking it to the dealer.

Faz

TDI
Golf mk5
I seem to be having a similar problem.

All my dashboard lights working, apart from the one light up on the air vents??

Any help please

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
There are two fuse circuts (?). One for the left side marker/tail lites and one for the right. If either of these go out the dash illumination lights go out. I think it is fuse 22 and 23 for the MkIV's.
Fuse probably out for a reason. Mine did it when one of the front side marker lites came out of the housing and made contact with my Panzer Plate. Intermittant short.

Faz

TDI
Golf mk5
Iv checked my fuses and they all seem to be fine not broken.
Basically all the lights on the dashboard are working(radio/heater/ speedometer and electrical window
Switch lights) the ones that are not working or light up are the 4 air vent 2 middle and 1 each side, there are the ones that show 0.