Compounds for the Passat

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I tuned my previous setup to cruise just under 30:1 AFR and WOT at 17:1 AFR. I'm not sure I'll be able to get it down to 30:1 cruising
Interesting way to monitor engine load.

Would make timing adjustments dirt simple, that's for sure. I'm going to have to look into it, any idea on how long they last in such a sooty environment?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Thanks LNXGUY!

I'm not sure its going to monitor load all that well, just change the boost levels at a given fuel level and it'll change the AFR. It was extremely helpful developing my timing map!

I used it for less than 6 months so far, you can always recalibrate it, the sensors are around $50.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I didn't make the AN banjo fittings, found them on Ebay. I made the double banjo bolt and the EMP adapter

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
I didn't make the AN banjo fittings, found them on Ebay. I made the double banjo bolt and the EMP adapter
ah thought you might made those too...the EMP adapter is cake, the double banjo is pretty cool though, I need to find a lathe :D

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I'm not sure its going to monitor load all that well,
An AFR that is around 17:1 is going to be right around full engine load, as that is where it is getting as much fuel as it can burn and is therefore putting out as much power as it can.
More fuel in the mix, more load.

I suppose varying boost levels would screw with it somewhat, but it is pretty easy to look at your boost gauge and see "Hey, it is making 30lbs of peak boost while it's at an AFR around 20:1, I should make my wastegate open a little sooner (or get more fuel in at that particular point) as I'm compressing more air than the engine can use."

What kind of lathe have you got?
I've just got an old taiwanese JET. Just barely adequate to make functional parts. :p

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
FUB is exactly right, 17:1 can be anywhere.

Lathe is also a Jet, 1340PB, I actually used a nice Hardinge for these parts. My jet has a ton of slop but I can still make good parts on it ;)

Only got to spend a little time working on the car today. Lower downpipe is installed, intake is installed. TD06 is about ready to mount, looks like I might have to remake the actuator bracket but I can make due with this one for now.

LP Boost gauge didn't come with expected plumbing so I'll have to do something with that. I have 2 60psi autometer gauges identical that came with a T and everything, the 30psi gauge came with a compression fitting. I will have to get the appropriate T for that or put another bung on the pipe.

Here is my EMP adapter and how it works. The copper is a little soft so I'm worried about the temps and it actually sealing.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
For my EMP gauge I used a stainless pipe that was originally on an old VW 16v engine for mixture adjustment...meant to take the heat...I simply welded the fitting for it into my EGR blockoff plate...air compressor hose delivers the air to the gauge

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
What does it idle at? I have hard diesels idle at like 100:1 AFR.

So do you need to change any settings to go from gasoline to diesel on the gage?

Thats cool it does 99:1, I have seen videos on youtube where like a Supra is doing a pull and the AFR gauge goes to 20:1 and then the engine lets loose!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Usually between 60 and 100.

The gauge comes with software to set up the gauge limits. Nothing special

SS tube is a good idea.

p0wer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 3 -94 1Z 377hp, Golf 3 Cabrio 4-Motion 1.8T 620hp, Golf 3 Syncro 2.9 VR6 HX52, Bora AJM 4-Motion 2260vk +120% Firad, Passat 3B Syncro AFN 2260vk
This is interesting one. What head, valves and cam do you use, and do you also use stock bottom end? 11mm IP with 5x.013" nozzles will be good for approximately 340-360hp if nozzles are good, but you need good head and exhaust flow to make it happen. Wastegate of your LP turbo could be more spacious, as well as your EGR outlet on exhaust manifold. I did grind it from my AFN manifold much more bigger and oval for the wastegate, there´s plenty of material to remove without problems and make it flow much better.

Do you have compressor map from this LP turbo available?

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
You can have a 17:1 AFR at 10% engine load if you don't have the mass airflow to go with it.
Well, 10% of the engine's peak maximum rated output at least.
Near 100% of the possible output with however much airflow the engine is getting at that moment in time.
Lathe is also a Jet, 1340PB, I actually used a nice Hardinge for these parts. My jet has a ton of slop but I can still make good parts on it ;)
I don't even know what the numbers of mine are, it'll swing a 10" chuck with very little room to spare for the jaws to protrude out. :p
A good place to look at if you're having issues with rigidity is the fit between the compound and cross slide. The swivel base on mine looked like it was scraped flat with an angle grinder or a chainsaw. After giving it a bit of attention I can actually use the parting tool.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Didn't finish last week and worked on a landscaping project this week since it was cool but today I decided to get busy with the car. Re-calibrated the injectors to lower pressures to see if I can get more fuel out of them - I theorized that the thicker shims restricted the needle lift, we'll see how that goes.

Also got the turbos installed, oil feeds installed, EMP gauge plumbed, downpipe installed, etc. Its TIGHT!

Tomorrow I finish the oil chainge(filter and fill), install injectors, purge/prime all the lines, wire up 6bar MAP, see what happens! I took the day off so I have no excuses!

leon10tagg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 90bhp ALH tdi, 2002 Golf PD100, 2004 Passat 1.9PD AWX, 2001 Golf 4-Motion, 1997 Audi A4 1.8t sport, 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.0t WRX
Nice piece of work......will be good to see the final power output and how the car performs on the open road...

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Looking good!!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Thanks! I already have a good idea for a new intake manifold to go over the valve cover - I'd do this if the intercooler is insufficient.

I went to prime the oil lines and battery was dead :( Its been unhooked for probably 6 months now I guess. LP boost gauge is installed, both MAP sensors are wired up, I just need to reassemble the interior and its ready for its first start!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
If you want! I'm diagnosing an issue with the 6bar MAP coding at the moment. N75 is commanding 0 vacuum

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I got it running pretty well! I'm running a 1bar spring set on the external gate, the LP is putting out 10psi(I want 16). I T'd into the N75 to actuator and plumbed that to the bottom of the wastegate and it responds crazy fast, easily as fast or faster than BV43 alone, hits 35psi in no time - its all I'm tuned for at the moment.

There is so much tuning to do its overwhelming.

All buttoned up:

Last edited:

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
A properly setup compound will indeed spool slightly faster than the small turbo alone and support all the boost you will ever need, and then some. Congrats on passing this milestone and good luck with the long and winding road getting it finetuned and ready for the dyno :)