Threw Code after leaving Dealer

Rather Be Biking

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Manual
Just went to the dealer and had them replace exhaust flap motor under warranty. On the way home, according to VCDS, the car threw the following code (but no check engine light). Did they mess something up? Should I ignore it? Why isn't the CEL on?

Thanks!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
1 Fault Found:
000310 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S2: Malfunction in Circuit
P0136 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 42885 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 12:43:41
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1955 /min
Speed: 103.0 km/h
Lambda: 30.8 %
Mass Air / Rev.: 335.0 mg/str
Voltage: 0.000 V
(no units): 0.01
Voltage: 0.975 V
Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
__________________:confused:

Sella Turcica

Veteran Member
TDI
none anymore
To your question about whether you should ignore it: As long as your warranty isn't about to run out, I would ignore it for the time being. If your car is still running properly and you're not getting a CEL, then chances are that it's fine. In all likelihood you'll probably never deal with the code again.

Cases in point: when I R/R'ed the intake manifold on my BMW, I ended up with a non-CEL code lodged in the system for one of the sensors on my engine. I waited about 2 weeks and the code went away with no fuss. Apparently I jostled something while taking it apart, and made it angry. Same thing happened with my Camry, I got a CEL for an O2 sensor after running what I believe was a lousy tank of gas. It eventually went away and never came back.

In fact if you run a VCDS on my TDI right now, it will say something about one of the rear door locks. Guess what, I've never had a problem (in real life) with the rear door lock. Go figure.

Rather Be Biking

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Manual
To your question about whether you should ignore it: As long as your warranty isn't about to run out, I would ignore it for the time being. If your car is still running properly and you're not getting a CEL, then chances are that it's fine. In all likelihood you'll probably never deal with the code again.
Thanks. I'll ignore it for now and see if it goes away. I'm confused, however, since it is a class 2 code (get serviced), yet is does not light the CEL. And it seemed to have occurred not at the dealer, but on the way home. Hence, I don't know if they jostled a wire (code at dealer) or left one disconnected (code on way home?).

Sella Turcica

Veteran Member
TDI
none anymore
I suppose it's possible they disconnected something. If you keep setting codes, I suppose it's worth a look. In my case, I hadn't disconnected the battery on the BMW (since I wasn't working on electrics) and must have yanked on a harness or something.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
If the CEL is not on, I would go ahead and clear the code. Check it again in a few days later. If it comes back again w/o the CEL, unplug the fuel temp sensor or another sensor, start it up, and let it trip the CEL.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
See if it pops up again. Maybe while they were under there they disloged a connector or something.

Rather Be Biking

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Manual
Thanks

See if it pops up again. Maybe while they were under there they disloged a connector or something.
Thanks all! I'll give it a few days and check the codes again. If it ever stops raining I'll go under the car and check the wiring. I'll report back if I find anything of interest.

Rather Be Biking

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Manual
A new code - Drive More, Scan Less?

Thanks Don. It just threw a different 02 code. This one reads:
008817 Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Signal B1 S2: too rich
P2271-000

Maybe I should 'Drive More, Scan Less."

Any suggestions out there?