Keyless entry remote not working

powerram250

TDI
2004 PD Jetta/ 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Put new batteries in it and tried many ways to reprogram it. Oreilly auto parts tester says it works. Any special way to reprogram it? It's a 1998 VW Jetta.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
powerram250 said:
Put new batteries in it and tried many ways to reprogram it. Oreilly auto parts tester says it works. Any special way to reprogram it? It's a 1998 VW Jetta.
1997-1999 MK3
:

It will need 2 keys.
**-Turn ignition ON
-Close all doors and trunk
-Take 2 key and turn lock cyl.on dr. door to unlock position and hold till horn make some sound and relese key(3 times horn sould sound)
-Press ulock button on first transmitter (alarm horn will sound once)
-Press ulock button on second transitter(alarm horn will sound twice)
-Repeat same for 3&4 transitter
-Turn lock cyl.on dr. door to unlock position and hold till horn make some sound and relese key(3 times horn sould sound)
-Switch ignition off

powerram250

TDI
jetta said:
1997-1999 MK3
:

It will need 2 keys.
**-Turn ignition ON
-Close all doors and trunk
-Take 2 key and turn lock cyl.on dr. door to unlock position and hold till horn make some sound and relese key(3 times horn sould sound)
-Press ulock button on first transmitter (alarm horn will sound once)
-Press ulock button on second transitter(alarm horn will sound twice)
-Repeat same for 3&4 transitter
-Turn lock cyl.on dr. door to unlock position and hold till horn make some sound and relese key(3 times horn sould sound)
-Switch ignition off

Okay, I've tried that method too. Maybe my remote is junk somehow. I'll buy one of them off of ebay and give that a try. I can get the car to honk 3 times but nothing when I push the unlock button on my remote.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
powerram250 said:
Per Bentley, you need 2 keys. You have one minute to complete the procedure (I don't why, it just saids so --- maybe the car explodes, maybe a kitten dies somewhere). Insert one key in the ignition to the on position and the other key in the driver's door lock. Lock the door then unlock it till you hear the horn beep three times; then hit the unlock on the remote; horn beeps one more time. Remove keys, done

Thats from memory (did it about a month or so ago --- so no promises on correctness).

powerram250

TDI
Now does the stock radio have to be in place in order for the keyless entry system to work? My car has an aftermarket cd player in it. I'm thinking about buying a new remote off of ebay, just hope it will work when I go to program it.