How long can the clutch survive??

tysingleton34

TDI
2002 jetta TDI
I have a 2002 Jeta TDI> I am looking to get an RC3 tune along with PP520 Nozzles. The thing I am worried about is the clutch. I can afford a new clutch in the future, but not at this moment. How long can the stock clutch survive before I have no choice but to replace it?

Thanks, Ty

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
RC3 tune alone --> clutch may be OK with it. No guarantees.
PP520 nozzles alone --> clutch may be OK with it. No guarantees.

RC3 tune + PP520 nozzles = clutch upgrade.

The amount of torque you can produce with RC3 and PP520 nozzles will be enough to easily exceed the rating of the stock clutch. It will last for a while provided you're kind to it. It will be hard because you're going to LOVE the performance with RC3 and PP520 nozzles. :cool: Exactly HOW long will it last? It depends....

You'll have to be careful with your right foot to help avoid clutch slip. Be especially careful in 5th and 4th on the highway. Modding is a slippery slope and the power increase from RC3+nozzles will make you think about doing that clutch upgrade sooner than originally planned.

Good luck and Welcome to TDIclub. :cool:

tysingleton34

TDI
2002 jetta TDI
n1das said:
RC3 tune alone --> clutch may be OK with it. No guarantees.
PP520 nozzles alone --> clutch may be OK with it. No guarantees.

RC3 tune + PP520 nozzles = clutch upgrade.

The amount of torque you can produce with RC3 and PP520 nozzles will be enough to easily exceed the rating of the stock clutch. It will last for a while provided you're kind to it. It will be hard because you're going to LOVE the performance with RC3 and PP520 nozzles. :cool: Exactly HOW long will it last? It depends....

You'll have to be careful with your right foot to help avoid clutch slip. Be especially careful in 5th and 4th on the highway. Modding is a slippery slope and the power increase from RC3+nozzles will make you think about doing that clutch upgrade sooner than originally planned.

Good luck and Welcome to TDIclub. :cool:
Thank you so much for your input! It was a huge help. If I do decide to upgrade clutches, what stage clutch would you recommend?

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I had Sprint 520s and a RC2 in my '02. The first time I drove it after Jeff tuned the car the clutch was OK in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. When I put it to the floor in 4th at 1800 RPMs the clutch slipped.

So I went maybe 2 miles with a lesser tune and nozzles than you plan before burning my clutch up.

DBDieseler

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Your clutch can last a while, IF you pay attention and take care of it. I have PP520s and RC3, and I don't slip my clutch while driving. Sure, I can easily slip it in 4th and 5th, even in 3rd if I really gun it, but if I watch my foot it's really easy to not slip it. (BTW, 1 and 2 are not a problem) Also, "slipping" the clutch and "burning it out" are two different things. When it does slip, mentally note what gear and how much throttle it took, and be careful in the future.

Of course, with the stock clutch you can't take full advantage of the tune. But if you control the power with your foot, I don't see a reason the stock clutch can't last for a long time.

Bottom line: you can drive for an extended period of time with the stock clutch, but you have to be careful. Getting an upgraded clutch will make the tune more enjoyable and worry free.

scubagli

Veteran Member
TDI
1986 audi 4000Q ALH SWAP in progress...
I have rc3+ pp520's and I just ordered a new clutch, it is rated for 420 ft/lbs. I don't want to drop the tranny again. PS my stock clutch held for 6 weeks to this point, and to half throttle the car drives like stock. I can make it slip at will just by punching it, if I roll in careful like it will hold till about 4500rpm. tdijetta99 has a vr6 clutch with rc5 and pp502s and it is still holding. I guess it just depends...

speed185187

Veteran Member
TDI
Case 580 Super M,
my stock clutch slips when it gets just the right amount of sunlight on it.

It's been completely at random. It's been holding more often than not lately. :rolleyes:

I'm just putting it off until the car tells me it's time. Got all the parts together for a VR6/G60 upgrade chilling in the shed.

tysingleton34

TDI
2002 jetta TDI
Thanks for all your help guys! Would I be able to survive if I get a VR6 clutch? I want to be able to have some fun with the car though.

Thanks, Ty

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
Just nozzles wont slip your clutch. I have 220,000kms on my stock clutch and even with nozzles its never slipped. However after a tune im sure it will slip easy. ^^^^If i were you id buy a better clutch then a vr6 i mean they are nice but why not spend a bit more and get more then you need to be safe..also less time spent dropping the clutch more then once.

n1das

TDI
tysingleton34 said:
Thank you so much for your input! It was a huge help. If I do decide to upgrade clutches, what stage clutch would you recommend?
South Bend Stage 3, SMF version, rated to hold 425 ft-lbs (not ft/lbs or lbs/ft) is a good way to go. TDIparts has the SBC 3 SMF clutch.

The decision to upgrade will be an easy one....you definitely WILL need a clutch upgrade with RC3 tuning and PP520 nozzles. You'll eventually WANT to do the upgrade and do it sooner than planned to be able to take full advantage of the tuning and nozzle upgrade. The TORQUE is addictive. :cool:

The SBC 3 is waaaay better than the G60/VR6 clutch and uses the same (G60) SMF. I have the G60/VR6 clutch in my 02 Golf and it's held up fine for my mods until I went to RC4b tuning and a VNT-17 turbo upgrade. Now I can easily make the VR6 easily slip in 4th and 5th. I'm not surprised since I'm right at the edge of its rating (~ 300-330 ft-lbs) and I've already got 190k miles of modded performance on it. It's probably about due for a new clutch anyway. It will last for a while provided I'm kind to it.

An important lesson many of us on TDIclub have learned is to get a clutch that's way stronger than you'll ever need now and in the future, taking into account future mod plans plus allow some headroom for de-rating for long life. Clutch jobs are hard and expensive and not fun on these cars and you don't want to do a clutch upgrade more than once if you can help it. Many of us upgraded our clutches after performance mods because of slippage, then did more mods and then later faced having to upgrade the clutch AGAIN because of slippage. Best to do a clutch upgrade only once and be done with it. I went with the G60/VR6 upgrade because it was a popular and recommended upgrade at the time. I've done more mods since the upgrade and I'm now facing having to upgrade the clutch AGAIN because of my mods. I would have been better off to have put a stronger clutch in the first time around. A South Bend Stage 3 SMF upgrade is what I'm going with when I eventually have to change the clutch. The good news is a lot has been learned over the years about modding our TDIs and the mods are becoming more refined and making the cars a lot faster than they were a few years ago.

Good luck.

Last edited:

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
DBDieseler said:
Sure, I can easily slip it in 4th and 5th, even in 3rd if I really gun it, but if I watch my foot it's really easy to not slip it.
Since the whole point of the upgrade is more power, why bother if you can't use it?

My philosophy has been, upgrade the parts that will let you use the power, then when you get the extra power, enjoy!

tysingleton34

TDI
2002 jetta TDI
n1das said:
South Bend Stage 3, SMF version, rated to hold 425 ft-lbs (not ft/lbs or lbs/ft) is a good way to go. TDIparts has the SBC 3 SMF clutch.

The decision to upgrade will be an easy one....you definitely WILL need a clutch upgrade with RC3 tuning and PP520 nozzles. You'll eventually WANT to do the upgrade and do it sooner than planned to be able to take full advantage of the tuning and nozzle upgrade. The TORQUE is addictive. :cool:

The SBC 3 is waaaay better than the G60/VR6 clutch and uses the same (G60) SMF. I have the G60/VR6 clutch in my 02 Golf and it's held up fine for my mods until I went to RC4b tuning and a VNT-17 turbo upgrade. Now I can easily make the VR6 easily slip in 4th and 5th. I'm not surprised since I'm right at the edge of its rating (~ 300-330 ft-lbs) and I've already got 190k miles of modded performance on it. It's probably about due for a new clutch anyway. It will last for a while provided I'm kind to it.

An important lesson many of us on TDIclub have learned is to get a clutch that's way stronger than you'll ever need now and in the future, taking into account future mod plans plus allow some headroom for de-rating for long life. Clutch jobs are hard and expensive and not fun on these cars and you don't want to do a clutch upgrade more than once if you can help it. Many of us upgraded our clutches after performance mods because of slippage, then did more mods and then later faced having to upgrade the clutch AGAIN because of slippage. Best to do a clutch upgrade only once and be done with it. I went with the G60/VR6 upgrade because it was a popular and recommended upgrade at the time. I've done more mods since the upgrade and I'm now facing having to upgrade the clutch AGAIN because of my mods. I would have been better off to have put a stronger clutch in the first time around. A South Bend Stage 3 SMF upgrade is what I'm going with when I eventually have to change the clutch. The good news is a lot has been learned over the years about modding our TDIs and the mods are becoming more refined and making the cars a lot faster than they were a few years ago.

Good luck.
Great read here, helped out a lot! If I eventually get a new turbo (vnt 17/22), will the SBC 3 clutch still be fine to hold the nozzles, tune, and new turbo?

You guys are the best!!
Ty

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
tysingleton34 said:
Great read here, helped out a lot! If I eventually get a new turbo (vnt 17/22), will the SBC 3 clutch still be fine to hold the nozzles, tune, and new turbo?

You guys are the best!!
Ty
Yes it will be fine.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
tysingleton34 said:

You guys are the best!!
Ty
Another thing to consider since you live in a cold climate: the clutch will be more prone to slipping even under moderate driving conditions in cold weather than in warm weather. You may find yourself tooling up a hill in 4th/5th and the RPMs may suddenly skyrocket.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
tysingleton34 said:
I have a 2002 Jeta TDI> I am looking to get an RC3 tune along with PP520 Nozzles. The thing I am worried about is the clutch. I can afford a new clutch in the future, but not at this moment. How long can the stock clutch survive before I have no choice but to replace it?

Thanks, Ty
If you drive the car in such a way as to not exceed the oem clutches clamping pressure, as long as an unmodded TDI would last. When your clutch is "slipping" that is the sign to "back off".

bogievw

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon- why yes, it is silver. How'd you know?
I had RC4 + PP520s on a stock clutch for about 6 weeks. I tried to baby it and not use the power, even so when the clutch was replaced it was knocking on heavens door. SBC Stage 3 installed last week.

On my other car a Golf with PP520s and an Alligator tune the VR6 clutch will slip once it get's cold out.

n1das

TDI
bogievw said:
I had RC4 + PP520s on a stock clutch for about 6 weeks. I tried to baby it and not use the power, even so when the clutch was replaced it was knocking on heavens door. SBC Stage 3 installed last week.

On my other car a Golf with PP520s and an Alligator tune the VR6 clutch will slip once it get's cold out.
There was a time not too many years ago where the G60/VR6 clutch upgrade was probably the most recommended clutch upgrade and THE clutch setup to have. It worked well for the modding state of the art back then. Since then people have figured out how to get more and more torque out of the ALH engine such that the G60/VR6 is not enough clutch anymore for the current modding state of the art.

My G60/VR6 has served me well for the past 190k miles of modded performance with RC3 tuning and PP520 nozzles. I also had Sprint 520 nozzles for a while before the PP520s went in. I started getting slippage in 5th and sometimes 4th after stepping up to RC4b tuning and a VNT-17 upgrade. I knew I would need something stronger eventually. South Bend Stage 3 SMF clutch here I come.

D@mn mods, sometimes you get more than you bargained for. :D

Last edited:

n1das

TDI
bogievw said:
SBC Stage 3 installed last week.
How does the SBC 3 clutch feel? Is the pedal feel and engagement height like stock?

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
the pedal feel is lighter the engagement is lower close to the floor , but there a few threads that might get around that . the only bad point of and sbc clucth over stock is a slight judder on engaging the clutch slowly in first . im told it does go away but i have about 4000 miles on my sbc 3 now and the judder is still there . other than that you will not notice any difference over the stock clutch your driving now it engages smoothly and the pedal is lighter

bogievw

Veteran Member
TDI
n1das said:
How does the SBC 3 clutch feel? Is the pedal feel and engagement height like stock?
The SBC 3 is significantly lighter than the VR6. I would say the SBC is very close to to the feel and engagement of the stock clutch. I do note a bit of shudder in the SBC when starting slowly from a dead stop. I'm assuming that the shudder will go away after it's broken in.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
ruking said:
If you drive the car in such a way as to not exceed the oem clutches clamping pressure, as long as an unmodded TDI would last. When your clutch is "slipping" that is the sign to "back off".
But that just re-itterates a point from above: what's the point of modding if you can't take advantage of the mods. It would be like putting snow tires on a car that you garage for the winter.

With any mod, especially a power mod, there's a risk. Knowing the risk(s) beforehand is an important piece of info for the decission making process.

Last edited:

bogievw

Veteran Member
TDI
ChippedNotBroken said:
Starting slowly from a dead stop. Some of us would never notice a problem like that :rolleyes:
Don't egg me on. I'm trying to be good for a few hundred miles to break it in.