You know you're obsessed when....

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Zippy_car said:
Nick! That's a great idea - i get pampered and get modded... the only thing that's missing is what i have to do in return.... (i'm not sure i want to know :eek: )!

but! you're in luck! How's April for you? You get first round?
i'm moving to Palo Alto (south of San Fran, CA) on April 6th. So who knows... road trip to OR? I'm already planning a trip up to see Lildevildee in Washington at some point. ;)

*waves* see you then!

PS - you know you're obsessed when you're planning on moving out to CA and thinking about how many TDI'ers you can meet on your trip from one coast to the other!:cool: and how many lroad trips you can plan there after to meet those on the other coast! :D
*Nick does a skippy dance*

First round sounds great! I can host you on your way to see Dee in the Seattle area: air mattress in the living room (open fireplace to keep ya warm.) :) Palo Alto, mmmm...mapquest says:

Total Est. Time: 10 hours, 20 minutes Total Est. Distance: 657.05 miles

Sheesh, you'll be within a single tank range :D

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Tom Servo said:
Did you ever stop at a very nice looking car in the lot, with all the options you'd want, only to say out lout to no one, "Too bad it's a gasser"?
(snip)
Of course, for me, even when I find the TDI's, it's usually followed by, "Too bad it's an automatic."
There are two or three other tornado red Golf TDIs in SD County, and today I was in the neighborhood where I know one of these is parked during working hours. So when I saw a red Golf I thought I knew which one it was. It was stopped at a light as I went by, then it followed after a couple more cars. I pulled onto I-5 and I saw in my rear-view mirror that it was still following (and that the DRL's were off). I slowed enough to let it catch up and pass me, then discovered it was not a TDI, just a nice-looking 2.0 two-door.

I paced him for a mile or two, then he slowed in the right lane to exit and I roared past at 85+ (no smoke though, injection quantity is optimized for my new PowerPlus 520s).

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
nicklockard said:
*Nick does a skippy dance*

First round sounds great! I can host you on your way to see Dee in the Seattle area: air mattress in the living room (open fireplace to keep ya warm.) :) Palo Alto, mmmm...mapquest says:

Total Est. Time: 10 hours, 20 minutes Total Est. Distance: 657.05 miles

Sheesh, you'll be within a single tank range :D
;) sweet!

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Zippy: On your way too California and Oregon and ...
You could wait a week and come by for the GTG here in Pagosa!
13,14,15th APRIL
What you think?

Cool :D !
Maybe a little SKI/'Boarding?

QUOTE> "PS - you know you're obsessed when you're planning on moving out to CA and thinking about how many TDI'ers you can meet on your trip from one coast to the other!:cool: and how many lroad trips you can plan there after to meet those on the other coast! :D"

kharmin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta, DSG, Package 0
So, Zippy ~
Are you planning to leave RI the 6th, or arrive in CA on the 6th?

"Cause here's another detour to meet folks, if you'll be in the neighborhood March 29 -

Last Thursday of every month, there's a regularly scheduled GTG in Kenosha -
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=153659

We meet-up on the last Thursday of the month about 6:30 PM, at the Brat Stop in Kenosha WI, located near I-94 and Hwy 50, west of the interchange, on the north side of Hwy 50.

We'd love to see you!

anyway, Happy planning, packing, driving, arriving!
kharmin

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
you know you're obsessed when...

A beautiful white TDI bug adnored with a red "I" makes you so excited you make a sign in the car asking, "TDICLUB MEMBER?" and proceed to pull up next to the bug and honk your horn repeatedly while holding your sign to the window. The guy was so freaked out he didn't even acknowledge me! :D

Nice car though, I-89 NH plates
PS wasn't driving my TDI

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
bikeprof said:
Zippy: On your way too California and Oregon and ...
You could wait a week and come by for the GTG here in Pagosa!
13,14,15th APRIL
What you think?

Cool :D !
Maybe a little SKI/'Boarding?

QUOTE> "PS - you know you're obsessed when you're planning on moving out to CA and thinking about how many TDI'ers you can meet on your trip from one coast to the other!:cool: and how many lroad trips you can plan there after to meet those on the other coast! :D"
I've heard about that GTG! I was asked if i wanted to drive back to Colorado that weekend. (if i don't have a job yet -i'd consider it) :eek:

Kharmin,
I plan on leaving for CA the evening of April 6th (right after my last New England First Friday GTG! :( ) and arriving in CA sometime the following week. March 29th is my last day of work, so no GTG in IL for me :( Thanks for the offer tho.

YKYOW... you're considering taking the long way on a cross-country road trip so you can go to a GTG in CO on way across!

Edit: When you DO rearrange your plans slightly, so that you can stop at that GTG on your way across the country! ahahahaha.

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
And, not only that, but it's either a VR6 or a TDI!

It's almost definitely a GLS, but it looks like a VR6... *sigh*

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
eb2143 said:
A beautiful white TDI bug adnored with a red "I" makes you so excited you make a sign in the car asking, "TDICLUB MEMBER?" and proceed to pull up next to the bug and honk your horn repeatedly while holding your sign to the window. The guy was so freaked out he didn't even acknowledge me! :D

Nice car though, I-89 NH plates
PS wasn't driving my TDI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%27oh%21

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Preach on, bruthas and sistahs!

Amen to that.

It doesn't matter what car I can get my hands on, I want my lil' Golf.

Many years ago I had to fly to Vegas... I rented a Ford Ranger pick up because I thought it'd be fun. It was fun, until it encountered the slightest of inclines... *struggle-struggle-struggle*

The whole way to LA out in the desert, all I could think about was, "Gee, my TDI would never need to downshift for this hill!"

:D

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat TDI sedan (sold)
Tom Servo said:
Amen to that.
It doesn't matter what car I can get my hands on, I want my lil' Golf.
Many years ago I had to fly to Vegas... I rented a Ford Ranger pick up because I thought it'd be fun. It was fun, until it encountered the slightest of inclines... *struggle-struggle-struggle*
The whole way to LA out in the desert, all I could think about was, "Gee, my TDI would never need to downshift for this hill!"
:D
A few years back I rented a Ford Contour V6 (automatic, of course) and I got tired of its engine lugging in fourth gear on inclines. Ultimately it would need to downshift to third to get decent power, so when driving through hilly terrain I just punched "O/D OFF" to keep it in third all the time.

Apparently Ford didn't put "grade logic" into their automatic. Even my sister's 1996 Golf is smarter than that. When climbing a hill, it downshifts early and stays in the lower gear until you reach level ground. Unlike most automatics you can even lift off the throttle, and it won't instantly upshift if the tilt sensor tells it you're going up a hill.

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
bhtooefr said:
And, not only that, but it's either a VR6 or a TDI!

It's almost definitely a GLS, but it looks like a VR6... *sigh*

actually saving the picture to your desktop,and checking it out and zooming up it and changing brightness to see what it sayes on the back.And it says TDI, we have a winner

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Now THIS is obsessed!

meangreen said:
actually saving the picture to your desktop,and checking it out and zooming up it and changing brightness to see what it sayes on the back.And it says TDI, we have a winner
Now THIS is obsessed! :eek:

soberups

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I realized the magnitude of my obsession today when I had to go to the mall. There was a Jetta TDI with a slew of biodiesel stickers all over the bumper, parked at the very farthest end of the lot. Rather than take one of the available spots much closer to the entrance of the mall, I parked my Jetta right next to it in such a manner that whoever owned it would be sure to see MY biodiesel sticker as they got into their car. I then hiked appox. 200 yards to the entrance of the mall, in the rain, hoping to see the owner of the other Jetta on his/her way out. No luck....and when I left the mall and hiked clear back out to my car, the other Jetta was still there. I wonder if there is some medication I could take....

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
... when you see a random add for "Recaro Car Seat" on the side bar of your gmail, completely disregard the email your reading to check out the link, because even tho you don't have a baby (nor ever want one) you have to look at how cool it is! .... and feel jealous that the babies get the good seats ... and then you wander off to check the prices on Recaro's for your MK4! :eek:

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
...you then decide to go ahead and rub this photo in Zippy's face:

That one cost $7.50. So did the passenger one. I <3 Pick-N-Pull half price day. :D

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
TDI obsession:

When, while reading some of these posts...
I'm laughing SO hard that I cannot focus on the screen and tears roll down my checks while chasing the tissue box :D !

Ponders:
2:00AM, yes...been there:)
Magnifying a PIC. not yet but WILL get there:D
Refreshing he page OVER and OVER because it is UN-available :(

Loving the TDI feeling, YES ;) !

PS. Don't "you hate it" when going up a hill, there are vehicles with bigger/larger engines and they BLOCK traffic :mad: ?

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
TDI obsession: making last minute plans to join some other friends who happen to have TDIs in atlanta this weekend (and welcomg home our Military buddy in the process)!!!

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
You know you're obsessed when you pull off the road to take a picture of your odometer as it rolls over even the most mundane mileage aniversaries:
101,010 - for the guys in computer programming
312,312 - you gotta live in Chicago to understand this one.

On an unrelated note: I know a guy who quit driving his old pickup for two weeks just so he could role the odometer over 212121 on his 21st birthday.

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat TDI sedan (sold)
You know you're obsessed when...

...you print out TDIclub cards and leave several under the wiper of an unsuspecting TDI. :D

There's actually a lot more to it than that. Today as I was pulling into a shopping center I noticed a red B4 Passat out of the corner of my eye. Even though it was on the opposite side of the parking lot from where I wanted to go, I swung by to check it out. Turns out it was a Tornado Red Passat TDI sedan almost identical to mine -- and you sure don't see too many red B4 TDIs! :eek:

So I parked right next to it (backed in, just like it was) and ran in to buy a cheapie disposable 35mm camera at a photo store in the shopping center because I didn't have my digital camera on hand. I ran back out and took about 15 or 16 photos of our two red TDIs parked next to each other. :)

Thankfully I had to run an errand for my job later in the afternoon, so I printed out a bunch of TDIclub "business cards" and came back to the shopping center during my trip, found the same TDI there (it was in the last row, so it was probably owned by someone who worked there), and left two cards under the driver's wiper. ;)

Of course I'll share the photos here soon... I just gotta use up the rest of the roll of film and get it developed, just like the olden days. :cool:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Or when you are so obsessed that you cease to call TDI simply a Passat TDI, you must call it either a B4 Passat or B5.5 Passat TDI.