DC's 1756VK-assisted B4

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Time hasn't been aplenty, as expected. However things are slowly but surely falling into place. I've had a chance to deal with some of the tuning and backtrack all of my communications with Mark [Malone] over the course of tuning my B4. I've had times of wicked fast spooling, surge, slow spooling, coal rolling, and smooth sailing that's soot free. Between blow head gaskets and not enough time, to stall issues thanks to trying to outflow my MAF, so jerks who blow up turbos and socially hold you hostage. I've learned a lot. I just wish that it wasn't with a car that was so old.

This latter sentiment isn't one that you'd assume is filled with regret. As many of the long time readers of my two build threads know, I learn and post because I wish to share what I've learned. Because the platform I've learned on is so old, there are literal parts of the mechatronics that have been obsoleted by a few generations so this knowledge is similarly obsoleted. I just hope that what I continue to post will still remain useful for others if they wish to go down the path of DIY as I have. By that I mean I'm doing the tuning myself. I'll pay someone else for fabrication ;). Usually it is the other way around, from what I've seen.

Anyhow, I still have some things to learn regarding the injection pump and the QA, which appears to be a glorified AC motor at first sniff.

I'm not sure if I'll revive the "Is the MAF the limit?" thread, or make my own as it's more comparative to a MAF vs MAP debate.

Additionally, a N75/VGT vs EMP thread is in my head to with the addition as to why the electronic/electrical, worm-gear-driven control units are far superior.

I even recently figured out how to "hack" the idle system to help fix stalling issues due to new/unfamiliar clutches. First I thought this was a IP voltage map issue, but VW messed with stuff there that hid the real culprit (kinda like the MKIV hot start issue). And I know what to adjust if someone is having cruise control problems due to taller 5th gears or even 6th gears.

Finally, in terms of DIY tuning, I still have the writeup I've been working on that will spell out how to manipulate the VCDS portions of an MSA15/EDC15 tune to expand "diagnostics" (aka VCDS output), make custom measuring blocks, and thus defining your own logs.

As evident by the lack of mention, I've not had a chance to work on the car. I'll likely be tending to it instead of going on the intended vacation. I also like vacations where I just do my own thing, even if that is "nothing".

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Very well said. I am right on board with you and your wealth of knowledge. I started my build thread back when the ALH was "the motor" and I'm still not done. Something can be said for stoutness and reliability though. I salute you, your tenacity and very insightful albeit sometimes overwhelming posts. I, like you am happy to spend my vacation in the garage, doing something, or nothing. It is definitely my happy place.

Cheers,
Justin