Head lights turn on by themselves and wont shut off

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Hello ALL Please any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

i have a 06 plain Jane basic Jetta TDI purchased New back in the day I have 277k miles on her now, been keeping on the road with help from here I want to thank you all for a great information source!

Here is my current problem My Headlights turn on all by themselves after I shut down and walk away from car in the middle of the night or when just plain parked in the middle of the day it doesn't matter if its cold or not! i used to be able to play with the ignition switch by turning it on and off and that would get them to shut off but that doesn't work anymore!
This leaves me stranded with a dead battery if I don't pop hood and pull a couple fusses that control them.

Thats were I'm at currently I have to pull the two fuses so I have a Battery to start it.

I can unplug the Light switch and they still stay on.

I have a Volkswagen Service manual But the schematics Leave a lot to be desired there more like logic flow charts than schematics.

I tried several searches here on the web sight but am not finding anything that really stands out as the culprit.

Again thanks for any and all help in advance!

Last edited:

Satsonic

TDI
2006 Jetta TDi (BRM) - DSG Trans (02E)
Are your DRL’s enabled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
German engineers seem to have the idea that if something is possible, it should be done, regardless of whether it is actually a good idea or not. This seems to be the case with much of our cars' electronics. Please download and read this:
http://www.vaglinks.com/vaglinks_com/docs/ssp/VWUSA.COM_SSP_873403_MK5_Jetta_Electrical_System.pdf

So it appears to me that some electronic component is not functioning correctly. Page 28 and 29 describe the headlight operation. Your VCDS will probably reveal some error code that will help you figure this out.

Good luck.