Used A3 Purchase Options

swood1122

TDI
S3
I am looking to purchase a used A3 as a daily driver for work that is about 45 miles each way. I really like the car. I have two cars I am looking at purchasing. One is local 2011 S-line with no nav, 63k miles, and can be had for about $19k. The other I would have to fly to and drive back about 10 hours. It is a 2012 S-Line 42K miles, Premium Plus, with a extended warranty through 100k for $22.5k. The 2011 is actually in a little better shape as the 2012 has some surface damage to the rims from parking.

I have always found these type forums to be very helpful. I would appreciate anyone's input/suggestions towards my decision. Thanks.

swood1122

TDI
S3
One other request/question, can someone explain the paddle shifter option. Is part of an package or a stand alone option? I would have thought it is part of the S-Line package but have only seen it on a couple cars.

langer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 a3 & '07 gasser gti
One other request/question, can someone explain the paddle shifter option. Is part of an package or a stand alone option? I would have thought it is part of the S-Line package but have only seen it on a couple cars.
Paddle shifters come with the dsg transmission.
What kind of extended warranty? Most are junk.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
IIRC paddle shifters came on Premium Plus or Titanium models only, you can retro fit to a premium model. All the US models are considered S-Line in the TDI option (or even the face lifted A3 models)

Personally I would recommend finding a Premium Plus or Titanium package, the factory HID's, paddle shifters, improved seats are worth the price increase.

Last edited:

impulse922

TDI
a3
Like said above, paddles only come in Prem+ and Titanium package cars, but you will want a prem+ for the headlights anyways. The paddles are over rated unless you do a lot of mountain pass driving, even then i'm pretty sure the "sport" mode would suffice.

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
IIRC paddle shifters came on Premium Plus or Titanium models only, you can retro fit to a premium model. All the US models are considered S-Line in the TDI option (or even the face lifted A3 models)

Personally I would recommend finding a Premium Plus or Titanium package, the factory HID's, paddle shifters, improved seats are worth the price increase.
x2....couldn't have said it better myself, trust me HID lights make a big difference....paddle shifters I hardly use but good to have if you need a sudden downshift.

langer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 a3 & '07 gasser gti
Agreed to above, HIDs are a must IMHO. Paddles don't really serve much purpose for me except downshifting on hills or slowing down for lights. I love them on my tuned gti because I tend to wind that car out.