Windshield washer fluid Q

ZipiTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver B5.5 GLS TDi Passat wagon w/ Tiptronic
I noticed my washer fluid was almost empty this week so I went to buy some more at Wal-Mart. I've only ever used the the blue stuff. Came across a green fluid that claims to better at removing bugs and bird poop. Also bought some de-icer fluid for the winter that is yellow. When I got home I realize I have some orange de-icer fluid in the garage already.

Anyone know if I can add the green stuff with what's left of the blue in my washer tank or do I need to flush the tank and lines first with water?

Is there a danger to adding the yellow or orange stuff later if the tank isn't completely empty of the green or blue fluid, or shuld I do a flush again?

ZipiTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
So I found a few other threads about washer fluid. Maybe I should just buy the concentrate and the rain repel from VW?

nighthawk62

Veteran Member
TDI
BANNED
Yes it does matter! They are all compatible I believe but a lot of them that are supposed to be good at removing bugs are not so good at preventing "hard water disease" and Tis the season soon for hard water disease. Take a hard look at the container for how much frost protection it provides.

ZipiTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Hard water disease?

nighthawk62 said:
Yes it does matter! They are all compatible I believe but a lot of them that are supposed to be good at removing bugs are not so good at preventing "hard water disease" and Tis the season soon for hard water disease. Take a hard look at the container for how much frost protection it provides.
What is "hard water disease"? I've never heard of this.

Magi'sGolf

TDI
2005 GOLF TDI GLS; 2004 Golf GLS TDI, TOTALLED on her way to western Europe to be parted out.
blue green pinkish

OK, now before I say this, I need to remind you that Blueberry is...sparkly blue almost deep purple... My brother has too many VWs for me to remember and it seems like he's always getting another one! Anyway, he tells me to use the pink stuff..it's already in my windshield washer tank when I get it from Maine, so I guess Blueberry is accustomed to it and LOVES the stuff. It never gives her/him "hard water disease" and in Maine it would surely happen before it would happen in Illinois!

So sit back and relax when you get a bug or a blob of air scum(bird)...squirt, pull wiper knob/handle a couple of passes, clean!

ZipiTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
I went shopping at Costco and 2 Wal-Marts over the weekend. No fluid of any brand found at Costco. At Wal-Mart I found only de-icer fluids because Winter is on it's way. I bought the Prestone brand with de-icer + Dirt Blocker because there was a $1 off rebate on the bottle, which made me want to try it out. Brought it home and discovered I still had some orange Rain-X washer fluid with de-icer in my garage. This is what I used in my old Subaru all last Winter and I'd forgotten I had it. So, I filled up the Passat washer fluid tank with the old stuff first to use it up, but haven't needed to use it yet. Then I cleaned the glass with some windshield spray cleaner just to start off with a clean shield. The weather is changing today to cold and wet so I guess I'll find out if this works.

Results: it all works. Haven't had any freeze ups with any of the things I've used.

Last edited: