MN Chat Thread

Koblet

TDI
VNT
Is there anyone who has experience with camper trailers or RVs? I happened to take a caravan for a while but to hit the road I need to get a water pump for a waste outlet. I found reviews on some of them here reviewseye.com. What are your thoughts on them?

atunicus

TDI
2005 allroad bhw, 2013 touareg
just saw a tan allroad diesel swap driving around in st. anthony
old body style allroad, manual trans, suspension looked to be in the "tall" position

Anyone know whose it is? Didn't know of one in the area on the forums at least.

That was probably me. I have the only one I know of in the area and I drive through St. Anthony area a lot.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
neato bandito

if you see a clapped out dark blue mk4 golf on big tires with the (loud) exhaust out the left front fender, I'm embarrassed to admit that's me

Always thought an allroad would be a neat swap, but with a 100hp or so mechanically governed motor, so the gas motor gearing would be excusable and pretty much the whole harness could be ignored.

Grendelprime

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen tdi
Hey everybody Saint Cloud here. Just a quick question about what you all are running in your 6sp manuals? I just bought a 2012 JSW and getting the maintenance caught up. Looking for something that will still move this winter. Thanks.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
honda's mtf is very nicely water-thin, it's what I run in my MQ500, changed out at about 40k or so of very severe service, and parked outside in the cold

otherwise, I hear the most recent VW MTFs (G71?) are also pretty thin viscosity

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Hey everybody Saint Cloud here. Just a quick question about what you all are running in your 6sp manuals? I just bought a 2012 JSW and getting the maintenance caught up. Looking for something that will still move this winter. Thanks.
Factory fluid is best for a factory setup. I ran Redline Lightweight Shockproof(Smurf Blood) when I was running a single mass flywheel, ran great, I really liked it.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Sighting: Princeton MN, an mk4 Jetta with a steel home made bumper and a winch on the front. 2.5" or 3" straight pipe with a big tip. black or dark blue in color I believe...
anyone seen this TDI? It sounded pretty good! and had character.
I'm just curious if it was anyone on the forum.
Thanks.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/pts/d/somerset-2000-vw-jetta-tdi/6874699897.html

600 dollar manual/alh jetta sedan
electrical issues, but... what's new it's a VW

Just inundated with partouts lately (just got two alh/auto beetles for $500, and had nowhere to park them), so figured I'd toss my findings up here for someone else to plunder
ETA: which is to say, not mine (though I'd pick it up in a heartbeat if I had some dirt left to park it on)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Bob Cook at Midwest Motorworks has a very nice 2002 Jetta TDI GLS wagon, 5-speed manual, reflex silver, 343k miles, Florida car with zero rust. It has a new TB, newish turbo, new clutch, and Malone 1.5. The interior is extremely clean with the seats showing almost no wear. There is a crease on the LF fender but it might just pop out without needing replacement. The right taillight lens needs replacement.

I already have two Golf TDIs and don't have room for another car. But I thought maybe a family member might be interested and I was ready to buy it on Friday. But my family member said she really wants and needs a pickup at this time. So I reluctantly told Bob that I couldn't buy it.

Bob is waiting for the buyer to specify which shocks, struts, and tires he wants. It will also get control arm bushings at the same time as the other suspension parts. Expect the final price to be in the range of $4500 or a little more, depending on the cost of the additional parts.

Bob hasn't advertised yet, but it should sell fast when he does. So if you want a nice rust-free wagon with the ALH engine, you should call early Monday morning or it will be gone.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I have a bunch of take off parts from my 09 JSW, does anyone local need anything?
3" exhaust
rear sway bar(needs some parts)
S3 FMIC
IC piping
possibly more. hoping someone wants them locally so I don't have to ship stuff, otherwise I'd post in the classifieds.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I have a bunch of take off parts from my 09 JSW, does anyone local need anything?
3" exhaust
S3 FMIC
IC piping
possibly more. hoping someone wants them locally so I don't have to ship stuff, otherwise I'd post in the classifieds.
You are moving away from the Sport Wagon?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Porsche is living in New Jersey with a LS1 in it and I have put about 1700 miles on the Passat with the new 6spd.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I really should do the same with more of my project cars.
The selling or driving them bit.

I'd pester you for an update on the passat thread, but I've been neglecting the heck out of my insight swap thread so...

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
3" exhaust
S3 FMIC
IC piping
Curious, would that exhaust by chance fit under an mk4 body? don't know how much they have changed things over the years other than cosmetics...
mines kinda rotting out:-( so im going to have to re-pipe, or have it sounding like a tractor lol!

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Saw two today that might be on here, silver mk4 golf in roseville going down county C with the exhaust through the rear bumper in the LR corner, sounded like you had a bigger VNT turbo and a straight pipe, it had that howl that they make when you let off.

and a red MK5 jetta who I passed on 35W southbound in the morning with the old intel style 'diesel inside' sticker on the left side, keeping speed as you do through the 610/35 onramp despite minivans on their brakes in the left lane as they do

Oh, and indigo, your old wagon is finally seeing use again rather than sitting! Convinced my dad to give it a try for his 50 mile commute rather than driving his 10mpg jeep.

Last edited:

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Any interest in a fall GTG in Duluth? The paved part of my yard can park about 10 cars easily. I have a deep two car garage and a huge back yard. Oh yeah I have a Traeger too.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Any interest in a fall GTG in Duluth? The paved part of my yard can park about 10 cars easily. I have a deep two car garage and a huge back yard. Oh yeah I have a Traeger too.
Certainly would be interested. Hard to say if I could actually make it. If there ends up being enough interest and a date is setup I'll try to make it.

Good of you to offer!

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1997 1Z (RIP), 2002 Jetta GLS, 2002 Jetta GLS, 2006 Jetta Pkg 1
Question for any MKV (2006 Jetta) owners out there. If you replaced your headliner, do you have any recommendations for where to get that done? Or any votes of confidence for those that have replaced it themselves? I have done some research and almost everyone says how crappy of a job it is to do on your own.

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Question for any MKV (2006 Jetta) owners out there. If you replaced your headliner, do you have any recommendations for where to get that done? Or any votes of confidence for those that have replaced it themselves? I have done some research and almost everyone says how crappy of a job it is to do on your own.
I've recently been looking around at a couple different automotive upholstery places to get mine done. I've read that it's cheaper to have them repair it than buy a new headliner from VW... Maybe sometime this summer I'll bite and get it done. I haven't gotten any estimates or anything yet... That's my next step.

In the meantime, I've been using 3M headliner adhesive to stick it back up, usually after one of my kids pulls at it.

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1997 1Z (RIP), 2002 Jetta GLS, 2002 Jetta GLS, 2006 Jetta Pkg 1
Headliner options.

I've recently been looking around at a couple different automotive upholstery places to get mine done. I've read that it's cheaper to have them repair it than buy a new headliner from VW... Maybe sometime this summer I'll bite and get it done. I haven't gotten any estimates or anything yet... That's my next step.

In the meantime, I've been using 3M headliner adhesive to stick it back up, usually after one of my kids pulls at it.
Thanks Kriesel!
The part is ~$390 + tax online through Burnsville VW. I have one quote for $1200 as they say a new windshield is needed as the headliner needs to come through the windshield. $250 if I remove the headliner and they recover. But we all take care of our cars and want a quality job done. Price is not the only motivator. I am not sure recovering the existing one would last for.

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
http://forums.tdiclub.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=4831594
I finally got sick of my falling headliner and decided to fix it. VW obviously did not engineer the headliner to ever be removed because it has taken me much longer than I expected. I basically had to remove the seats and I was able to get the headliner out the back door. I cleaned it up and did not break any of the wires and I hired a company to install a new headliner for $100. I put it back in and installed all of the plastic pieces and I guess that is has been worth it but I won't be doing it again. I hope that the glue that this company used does it's job.
Most of the companies that I called said that they won't replace headliners in Jetta's and the few that did were over $500.
In this guys instance, he removed it himself and had it re-upholstered for $100. This is likely the route I would go, not having a shop do the work other than upholstery.

Edit:
More people's headliners getting done for about $200
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=209380&highlight=upholster+headliner

Last edited: