Picked up a new 14 SEL TDI....a few observations

okieB7

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
So I was looking for a used tdi and wound up with a new one because of the great deal I got on it. At least I think its great. 29,070.00 +499 doc fee. I personally would have went with the SE but the wife declared that it was gonna be SEL cuz she like the seats and the keyless entry better.

I picked it up way out of area and spent the weekend driving it back. I was gonna post a few observations about it and see if anyone has any tips or can point out how I am screwing up, so even though I really love the car most of these are gonna focus on negative aspects.

I actually wound up putting about 700 miles on the car in 2 days, then went back to the dealer cuz I was still in the area to get a stain on the back seat addressed as agreed on when I left 2 days earlier. Long story short, the dealership found it easier to just swap the whole car for a new identical one. So thats what I am talking about when discussing the differences between car a and car b. The second new one I put yet another 700 miles making my way home. so thats 1400 miles on 2 cars.

First off I really love the car. The wife does too. Lots of people in the family commented on how great it was and how much room was in it. None had ever even set in a passat before and now some are seriously considering buying one. They were impressed with the features, size and mpg.

The first car started off right out of the gate with great gas mileage. I got over 50 mpg going about 350 miles to a vacation home the family owns. Went through several mountain passes heading southwest out of Denver, overall climbed about 5,000 ft. The second car on the way started off considerably less, I can't say for sure because I didn't stop and fill up every couple hundred miles but after driving the first car and becoming used to how fast it was consuming fuel and by what the DIC said I was getting high 30's probably. By the last few hundred miles it had come up considerably and was getting very close to 45. I did stop and fuel up at about 650 miles and calculated a 42.5 avg. Why such a big difference between the 2? I hope that it continues to improve as it continues to break in but I will be happy with the 45ish I suspect I am getting now.

The nav route calculations are ridiculous sometimes. Example. I was on a side street stopped at a stop sign, facing the street I knew that I needed. I knew that I needed to cross across the street and hang a left. Instead the nav said to take a right. So I obliged just to see what it would do. It made me circle the block and stop exactly right where I had started and then take the left. ***? There was another example very similar. The arrival time estimate is way off usually. It is a bit clunky as others have stated but not really that bad. Its very usuable. I wish it would give some indication of distance to next turn instead of just the voice. Seems like too many buttons to push to get things done.

I really hate having to scroll off the MFI or NAV screen on the DIC over to the AUDIO screen just to change the radio station. STUPID.

Driving at night I noticed the headlight switch reflects off the driver window in the perfect spot to cover the outer 1/3 of the drivers side mirror. Annoying having to look through the reflection to see whats in the mirror.

I liked the blue dash lighting better on my B5.5 vs the red on this new car. That said this car is feels leaps and bounds better all around than the B5.5

I have another diesel but it doesn't have adblue, so I dunno if this is industry wide or just VW but there is no way to see the adblue level? Am I just supposed to carry around a spare bottle and wait for the light to go off and pull over and put it in? If so thats seems kinda dumb.

The uphill brake assist has got to go. Its very unnatural feeling to not be able to move immediately when I need it, like trying to cut across a traffic lane to merge in the far lane when turning left from a stop.

Not really anything to do with VW or the car but XM has really gone downhill. I used to subscribe years ago when I had a long commute and loved it. Now it seems that the channels I used to listen to have changed. No even decent classic rock channel. Classic Vinyl and Classic Rewind both play about 3 crappy songs for every good song which leads into the annoying feature of having to scroll over to the AUDIO screen just to flip the channel then scrolling back to what you really want displayed in the dash.

I am gonna do some upgrading. Getting the windows tinted, led interior, led/hids, some better carpet protection, and a vagcom cable. Gonna look at HR sport springs and some new wheels also and some noise/vibration mat on the floor and maybe the doors.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I really hate having to scroll off the MFI or NAV screen on the DIC over to the AUDIO screen just to change the radio station. STUPID.
What do you mean? The audio controls on the left side of the steering wheel work in any MFI screen.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
What do you mean? The audio controls on the left side of the steering wheel work in any MFI screen.
2x.

There is no way to check the adblue level... a warning light will go off when the tank gets to about 20%. You unless you drive thousands of miles without stopping by home you don't need to carry any with you.

-J

okieB7

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
Like I said maybe I am screwing something up or making it more difficult but the way I saw to adjust the audio was volume on the left and tune/presets on the right but the right side only works if the Audio screen is selected. I haven't had time to read the book on it. Are you saying that you can tune with the left side as well as control the volume?

okieB7

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
2x.
There is no way to check the adblue level... a warning light will go off when the tank gets to about 20%. You unless you drive thousands of miles without stopping by home you don't need to carry any with you.
-J
ahh... ok. Makes sense now. I don't recall hearing about a warning. Probably could have cleared this up by looking at the manual but I haven't had time yet.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
The first car started off right out of the gate with great gas mileage. I got over 50 mpg going about 350 miles to a vacation home the family owns. Went through several mountain passes heading southwest out of Denver, overall climbed about 5,000 ft. The second car on the way started off considerably less, I can't say for sure because I didn't stop and fill up every couple hundred miles but after driving the first car and becoming used to how fast it was consuming fuel and by what the DIC said I was getting high 30's probably. By the last few hundred miles it had come up considerably and was getting very close to 45. I did stop and fuel up at about 650 miles and calculated a 42.5 avg. Why such a big difference between the 2? I hope that it continues to improve as it continues to break in but I will be happy with the 45ish I suspect I am getting now.
Hard to say, temperature, weather, driving style among other things all contribute to good/bad mileage.

The nav route calculations are ridiculous sometimes. Example. I was on a side street stopped at a stop sign, facing the street I knew that I needed. I knew that I needed to cross across the street and hang a left. Instead the nav said to take a right. So I obliged just to see what it would do. It made me circle the block and stop exactly right where I had started and then take the left. ***? There was another example very similar. The arrival time estimate is way off usually. It is a bit clunky as others have stated but not really that bad. Its very usuable. I wish it would give some indication of distance to next turn instead of just the voice. Seems like too many buttons to push to get things done.
Yeah and I've had my Garmin do the same thing. It probably has to do with the map data that Navteq provides everyone. You can adjust the arrival time in one of the navigation setup screens. By default it is set to heavy traffic so it over estimates how long it will take. Try setting it to medium or light. I found Light seems to work the best for me.

As APT said, you can use the buttons on the left of the steering wheel to move forward/backward thru the presets. You can also, depending on the screen that is showing on the radio, hit the preset "button" and choose your station that way.

Driving at night I noticed the headlight switch reflects off the driver window in the perfect spot to cover the outer 1/3 of the drivers side mirror. Annoying having to look through the reflection to see whats in the mirror.
Never noticed this, must be a difference in driving positions.

I have another diesel but it doesn't have adblue, so I dunno if this is industry wide or just VW but there is no way to see the adblue level? Am I just supposed to carry around a spare bottle and wait for the light to go off and pull over and put it in? If so thats seems kinda dumb.
It depends on the size of the engine and car and the emissions that are produced. AdBlue helps reduce the NOx levels. You can easily go the 10k miles between service on a tank so no need to carry a bottle. Also once the warning comes up you still have 1,500 miles before it won't let you restart the car. So either way you have time to add a bottle or two. I just make sure mine is topped up every service and never have an issue.

The uphill brake assist has got to go. Its very unnatural feeling to not be able to move immediately when I need it, like trying to cut across a traffic lane to merge in the far lane when turning left from a stop.
There is a way to turn it off using VCDS. I've gotten used to mine so it doesn't bother me and I don't seem to have an issue merging when I need to.

Not really anything to do with VW or the car but XM has really gone downhill. I used to subscribe years ago when I had a long commute and loved it. Now it seems that the channels I used to listen to have changed. No even decent classic rock channel. Classic Vinyl and Classic Rewind both play about 3 crappy songs for every good song which leads into the annoying feature of having to scroll over to the AUDIO screen just to flip the channel then scrolling back to what you really want displayed in the dash.
See my previous comment. If they are presets, especially next to each other, you can use the steering wheel buttons to switch. I agree I don't care too much for the XM stuff. I use it mainly for the traffic and travellink. I found I burned the MP3's I like on an SD card and use that when I want to listen to music. Again with the SD card you can use the buttons to the steering wheel to skip forward and back thru the songs.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Like I said maybe I am screwing something up or making it more difficult but the way I saw to adjust the audio was volume on the left and tune/presets on the right but the right side only works if the Audio screen is selected. I haven't had time to read the book on it. Are you saying that you can tune with the left side as well as control the volume?
Yes, volume is controlled by the top/bottom buttons use the left/right buttons to move forward/backwards.

FYI, double pressing the center button (phone) will redial the last number you dialed on the linked phone.

okieB7

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
You can adjust the arrival time in one of the navigation setup screens. By default it is set to heavy traffic so it over estimates how long it will take. Try setting it to medium or light. I found Light seems to work the best for me.
Thanks, I will check that out. I have garmin nav in my truck (aftermarket) and yes I have had a few squirrely routings with it every once in a while.

As APT said, you can use the buttons on the left of the steering wheel to move forward/backward thru the presets. You can also, depending on the screen that is showing on the radio, hit the preset "button" and choose your station that way.
Yep, I feel dumb now. I got to thinking and I remember the buttons being there but I never hit the left/right ones, just the up/down vol control. and the mic button and the phone button.

Never noticed this, must be a difference in driving positions.
I will take a pic. I moved a ways forward and backward trying to get this out of line with the mirror but nothing helped.

I just make sure mine is topped up every service and never have an issue.
Thats what I am going to do then, sounds like the way to go.

There is a way to turn it off using VCDS. I've gotten used to mine so it doesn't bother me and I don't seem to have an issue merging when I need to.
I have read about that. Perhaps it is something that I would get used to but right now my heart leaps into my throat when I try to go and nothing happens.

Yes, volume is controlled by the top/bottom buttons use the left/right buttons to move forward/backwards.

FYI, double pressing the center button (phone) will redial the last number you dialed on the linked phone.
thanks

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
With the brake assist, if you press the accelerator, it will go. It won't creep forward like you might be used to until you have been off of the brake for two seconds... but it will always go as soon as you press the accelerator.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
We all learned sometime so no problem. This forums is good for helping each other out.

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Not really anything to do with VW or the car but XM has really gone downhill. I used to subscribe years ago when I had a long commute and loved it. Now it seems that the channels I used to listen to have changed.
Sirius and XM nominally merged a few years ago, but in reality Sirius bought XM. As a result, Sirius' programming philosophy - tighter playlists, more repeats - took over. Personally, I greatly preferred XM's deeper playlists and overall music programming philosophy, but if that's what it took for the service to survive, I'll deal.

One thing to note is that if there had been no merger, you'd still be in the same boat, since VWs came with Sirius radios and not XM. Cold comfort, I know. :)

coowhip

TDI
N/A
If satelite radio could get their music quality up to date I'd have bought into it a long time ago. It sounds horrible on a good headunit. Garbled and muddy...sucks.

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
If satelite radio could get their music quality up to date I'd have bought into it a long time ago. It sounds horrible on a good headunit. Garbled and muddy...sucks.
Neither XM nor Sirius are up to CD or iPod quality, but XM's compression technology was much better than Sirius'. Unfortunately, pretty much all the new receivers (with the exception of original XM OEM partners like GM and Honda) use Sirius' lousy codec. That's the overlooked and very unfortunate side effect of the merger.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
With the brake assist, if you press the accelerator, it will go. It won't creep forward like you might be used to until you have been off of the brake for two seconds... but it will always go as soon as you press the accelerator.
I didn't think mine worked correctly, because it doesn't release with a slight throttle press - you have to 'rev' it up a bit. Not a lot, but more than needed with the torque of the TDI. Originally, I never got it to release and was dealing with the 2 second delay. Now that I know more throttle will do the trick - I'm more comfortable with it.

quattroginger

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Passat SEL
yup, im not sure why they put preset control at all on the right side of wheel. makes it way more confusing. as others stated mine is same. left side present control always works, right side preset controls only work with audio is on MFI.

coowhip

TDI
N/A
I think there is a VCDS setting for the hill hold control. I believe you can take it down or up a notch in sensitivity.

okieB7

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
Neither XM nor Sirius are up to CD or iPod quality, but XM's compression technology was much better than Sirius'. Unfortunately, pretty much all the new receivers (with the exception of original XM OEM partners like GM and Honda) use Sirius' lousy codec. That's the overlooked and very unfortunate side effect of the merger.
I noticed this. Quality was worse than I remember. This may explain that. Almost sounds like an FM station thats a bit weak.

okieB7

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
I didn't think mine worked correctly, because it doesn't release with a slight throttle press - you have to 'rev' it up a bit. Not a lot, but more than needed with the torque of the TDI. Originally, I never got it to release and was dealing with the 2 second delay. Now that I know more throttle will do the trick - I'm more comfortable with it.

This is what I was talking about. It feels like I am trying to pull a 10,000 lb trailer when I first step on the gas. I found that I just need to mash the pedal a bit more and get the revs up and the brakes release fully.

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
My 14' SEL does not act like that.

-Release the brake and the car moves forward, easily accepting slight throttle to aggressive throttle.

-In reverse backing up an incline I need more throttle. Otherwise it feels normal.

I would have a dealer adjust it next visit.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I found that if you want instant throttle response you must use Sport mode, normal mode does indeed have a huge lag when driving aggressively and mashing it to the floor after every stop.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Re: throttle response from stop. I had to force myself to learn the appropriate hesitation between brake and go pedal. It is counter-intuitive, at a busy intersection, to release the brake well before applying throttle. I was taught that the right foot should ALWAYS be on the brake when you're creeping into the middle of a busy intersection, waiting for the chance to cut across traffic.

Sinner

Veteran Member
TDI
none
After +9k miles on my 2014 TDi SEL, I'm pretty happy with the car. I couldn't care less about satellite radio (I play music from my phone through Bluetooth or from an iPod).

And, yes, whoever designed the user interface of the radio/GPS needs to be tarred and feathered. It's horrible! Looks like they skipped UI 101 class at college! As a software developer, I'm embarrassed by its lack of basic user friendliness. Adding "touch" doesn't make it "more user friendly". Specially on a moving car, and with such a slow screen response!

And the GPS... I like better the one on my phone, thank you very much!

I love it's fuel economy, its torque, good seats, timeless elegance, stereo sound.

I'd love HID bi-xenon, CarPlay, being able to roll up/down windows without having to turn on ignition, and a little less body roll.

Surprisingly, the Continental tires are not bad at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
sinner: Re: windows up/down w/o the key: How new is your 2014? I used VCDS to program auto up/down with the key fob, which VWoA made available post 2013...not sure if all the 2014s have the function.

Sinner

Veteran Member
TDI
none
sinner: Re: windows up/down w/o the key: How new is your 2014? I used VCDS to program auto up/down with the key fob, which VWoA made available post 2013...not sure if all the 2014s have the function.

I bought mine in early March. Model year 2014.

What is a VCDS?

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
I bought mine in early March. Model year 2014.

What is a VCDS?

The premiere hack and tweak tool that is a must have for any Vag product.
You need the canbus version.
Read all about it here: ross-tech

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
I noticed this. Quality was worse than I remember. This may explain that. Almost sounds like an FM station thats a bit weak.

Reminds me of AM radio from the 70's