Test drove Passat TDI DSG. Initial impressions

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The trunk space is generous, but somewhat truncated by the way the hinges have to take up so much space. We couldn't get my son's folding wheelchair in there because of that, despite there being enough "space". In all fairness, we can't get it in the B5's trunk either, but that is because of the small opening. My old '91 Jetta's trunk inhales it with room to spare. :rolleyes:

My2013TDI

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Cons.
- Steering wheel is certainly off. Its towards right. So your right hand is closer to it than your left hand. It was very weird to drive and I'm not sure if I can manage with this on long drive.
- Above 80mph car started vibrating/shaking a lot.
- On down ramps to freeway it felt that it is engaging ABS. It was halting and moving from start till end of ramp.
- Big turning radius.
- Not as sporty as Jetta in handling.
- Doors are not as heavy as Jetta.
Pros.
Big
Better suspension
Did anyone else observed same on their cars or it was an exception.
-Bulletguy
The wheel is slightly off to the right, but it never has bothered me. Something must have been wrong with that car you drove, I've had mine up a little over 120 (responding to a doozie of a motorcycle wreck 2 minutes after I got off shift) and it felt firmly planted and stable with no vibrations. Brakes are still great after 40k as well.

I've loved this Passat so much that I'm thinking about trading up to an SEL for the added creature comforts (TSI though)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Over 120? I thought the NMS was limited to 115. :confused:

scottysize

TDI
Passat SE/Sunroof
I have read that the steering wheel is off, but I have no idea. Seems fine to me. No vibration at or above 80 and I do that all the time. Turning radius? I mean, it's considered a large car, not a small car, so I'd say it turns fine. It sounds like you didn't like it. So, I'd probably not get one if you didn't like the driving experience. My 2 cents.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
I'm really not sure what this business about the steering wheel position is all about. Maybe I'm lopsided, or maybe my steering wheel is on center, but I haven't ever thought that the wheel was badly positioned. Seems fine to me.

I'm also not sure what all this discussion on the brake is about. Maybe the brakes on DSG TDIs feel different because of the downshifting, but on my 6MT they feel exactly as I would expect them to: linear and predictable. Also damn good at stopping the car pretty quickly. They don't feel spongy, nor overly sensitive. Sure, the brakes are pretty strongly assisted, but I like that anyways. I'd rather have overly assisted steering or brakes than steering or brakes that are too heavy/stiff.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
Sounds like the braking is a DSG-only thing. From what I'm reading, the DSG downshifts while braking, with engine braking kicking in each time it engages at a new gear. That must cause a "surge" braking effect. We with the MTs obviously don't have that. No idea if the steering wheel is also a DSG-only thing. I've never noticed any problem or discomfort in my MT based on wheel position.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
Sounds like the braking is a DSG-only thing. From what I'm reading, the DSG downshifts while braking, with engine braking kicking in each time it engages at a new gear. That must cause a "surge" braking effect. We with the MTs obviously don't have that. No idea if the steering wheel is also a DSG-only thing. I've never noticed any problem or discomfort in my MT based on wheel position.
I wonder if the constant RPM variation as the DSG downshifts under braking also changes the level of vacuum assist in the brakes since the engine driven vacuum pump is changing speed with the engine. I'm just speculating there.

As for the steering wheel, I highly doubt the steering wheel positioning is different between the 6MT and the DSG. I think some people just have a tendency to notice what is apparently a slight (and probably deliberate) offset of the steering wheel. I guess I'm just not one of those who has noticed it.:)

Last edited:

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
I think some people just have a tendency to notice what is apparently a slight (and probably deliberate) offset of the steering wheel. I guess I'm just not one of those who has noticed it.:)
VW probably does it deliberately so old VW drivers subconsciously feel queazy in other brands new cars and then go back and buy a VW again. :p

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
The steering wheel is definitely offset to the right of center just a bit, but coming from a Toyota Prius v5 where the steering wheel is offset from center to the left, I prefer the Passat setup. It's more comfortable when I want to rest my elbows on the center are rest pad and door arm rest. Speaking of the center arm rest, why is it so hard? Anyone have a solution to add even just a bit of padding?