40k mile DSG service

TDI_Ryan

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
This is the quote I got from Archer VW in Houston (attached screen shot).
Seems high. I thought I remembered seeing sub-$400 prices posted in this forum, but maybe I'm wrong.

Dealer wants $693.
Best aftermarket price I could find was $595.

Am I missing something, or is that just the going rate these days?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
That quoted price is for more than just a DSG service. The DSG parts are $140.59 and the labor is for the entire service. Then you have sales tax on the parts.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
This is what I'd call a "high ballpark" figure given by dealers in the various threads I've seen on this topic. If I didn't plan to do the service myself, I'd take it to a trusted mechanic, my choice would be "oilhammer" in this forum since he's only about a 3 hour drive (in St. Louis), and we can easily work that into a getaway there. Somebody recently posted that the 80K was done there for $540.This would be a good price, from what I've seen.

TDI_Ryan

Veteran Member
TDI
That quoted price is for more than just a DSG service. The DSG parts are $140.59 and the labor is for the entire service. Then you have sales tax on the parts.
I'm talking about "out the door" / "I do nothing but hand them the keys" service. I thought that's what the "around $400" figure that was being tossed around was referring to.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
The $400 mark was in reference to just the dsg service at a dealer, not the complete 40k service. The filters and oil change are really easy I did them myself and a local mechanic in houston did the dsg service for $250.

Bobmws

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG
My dealer quoted me $500 for the full 40K service. I'm at 29K now, I'll check again at the 30k service in a couple of weeks.

toddoxley

TDI
Titan Black, 2006 Jetta TDI
I have a quote for 2013 Passat DSG service, 395.00. This is from a competent, reliable independent VW/Audi shop.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
The labor figures on these are astounding.

Changing oil - 30 minutes, most time spent draining likely done with vehicle on lift for DSG service.
Changing fuel filter - 20 minutes.
Changing cabin filter - 15 minutes for me, with little practice. I'm sure it's much less for techs who do it every day.
Changing DSG fluid - 60-90 minutes, including diagnostic time.
Topping off DEF - 10 minutes.

So that's 2:15 - 2:45 all in. At $110/hr for labor that's $302 if they spent the whole 2.75 hours. Keep in mind that some of these times are probably shorter for seasoned techs. I know some dealerships like their techs to work between 40-50 hours but book between 80-90 hours of service work a week.

Ugh - that's why I like to do my own maintenance.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I got a quote for 40k service when I was waiting for my 30k service. $1250 total. I'll be calling a guru.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
$1250 would be squarely in "highway robbery" territory.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Anyone from Houston got a better figure by chance?
No been there done that. The complete 40k is at least $200 in parts cost. Shop rates in Houston are $90-$120 an hour. Doubt anyone is going to book much less than 4 hours for this service, certainly not the one(s) I'd take my car too. $600 isn't bad IMHO for the whole thing.

Like I said if you want to save money do the easy stuff. Oil, filters, and adblue are easy and take less than a hour of your time. Have a mechanic do the dsg by itself if you are at all worried. That's what I did and saved about $200.

Last edited:

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I believe that is not an outrageous figure to do it all out the door given current labor rates. Just for DSG, that is too much. I spent around 200 for just the parts for the entire service. $400 for labor is a bit much for an experienced mechanic. It took me the better part of the day but I was being careful and did the top fill on the DSG which took extra time...

TDI_Ryan

Veteran Member
TDI
Went and did the deal for $693 (maybe I shouldn't use the word "deal").

At least it's over.

Now for tires....

I've gotten almost 41k out of the stock Hankooks. Not bad.

Ace Deprave

Veteran Member
TDI
Former owner of a 2012 Passat SE TDI (traded for a 2015 Golf R)
At least it's over.
Now for tires....
That's about what I paid here in Louisiana as well. All of the independent shops were in the same ballpark, some even more expensive than the dealership. Oh well, it is what it is.

I managed 45k on my Hankooks before I finally replaced them with Michelins. As everyone says, the difference is huge.

omegis

TDI
'13 Passat
$345 for 40k and $240 for DSG after tax in Abilene, Texas at the VW dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My2013TDI

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
At least it's over.
Now for tires....
Dang, I'm too late... I was going to say Das Autohaus in Spring. I called them last week since I'm at 39,7xx. $595 was their quote. West Houston VW quoted me 650 IIRC. I usually deal with WHVW, but I'm going to shop around for the best price assuming I don't trade for a TSI SEL when I get back from Vacation next week (leave for Colorado in 14 hours!)

I replaced my tires with Pirelli P7 and love them. Don't think twice, they're great.

Bobmws

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG
Just back from my 30K service this morning. Leesburg VW (FL) quoted me $525 for the full 40K service.