Auto Polar FIS+ Advance (MBV in the MFD) OEM+

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
The 23 was the max I saw with the former scangage, and confirmed as maximum by another member. IIRC, I got the !boost setting selected and there was another in the boost options, which I cannot recall right now. I've set up 8 screens and selected parameters so I can determine how to pare the list done to more pertinent parameters. I really like how fast the polarfis updates values as compared to the SG.

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
I don't think I've observed over 20 PSI for boost during the little time my unit has worked.

Received confirmation this morning that they are sending a replacement unit. I'm getting really good at installing and removing the device (not that it's very difficult). :D

Question: When updating the device firmware with it installed on the car, is it necessary to unhook the battery or just make sure the car is off?

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg
The 23 was the max I saw with the former scangage, and confirmed as maximum by another member. IIRC, I got the !boost setting selected and there was another in the boost options, which I cannot recall right now. I've set up 8 screens and selected parameters so I can determine how to pare the list done to more pertinent parameters. I really like how fast the polarfis updates values as compared to the SG.
Norm, any pram. with "!" is requested, not actual. Can you tell us what you see for peak "actual" boost?

Can you pls share with us what pram you have setup for what screen?

Last edited:

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think I've observed over 20 PSI for boost during the little time my unit has worked.

Received confirmation this morning that they are sending a replacement unit. I'm getting really good at installing and removing the device (not that it's very difficult). :D

Question: When updating the device firmware with it installed on the car, is it necessary to unhook the battery or just make sure the car is off?

When updating, after initial install, plug usb cable to fis and CPU, turn key to on, in the fis menu, select "update". Do the update procedures on the CPU and unplug the cable from CPU and Fis, cycle key to off and back on and verify fis screen.

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
You Canadian, eh?

RTFM? Hell no! We're men! Lol

I was force to RTFM yesterday after buying a chest of drawers for my daughter, from Ikea. It took my wife and me nearly 3 hours to assemble the damn thing! I must say though, TFM was very dummy friendly lol.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
So I thought that on day 2 of polarfis that it got all wonky and frozen that I was seeing the same issues as pedorro. So I checked all connections and bam - it came back OK. Worked fine for this past weekend, multiple start/stops and into this morning. Made an errand mid-day and lost some of the params. All EGTs at 32, MPH was working, coolant temp, volts, and a couple others, but no dpf info. So after work, played around with it some more. Disconnecting the battery will reset it just fine. So I thought that 0.4.4(beta) may be the issue, so I 'updated' it to 0.4.3. No EGT's! So put back the 0.4.4 (beta) for now. Now I got to go back and redo all of the screens. Not ready to call them on it yet, but it appears the FW is not that stable. I'mm going to try less screens (3) instead of the default 5 and see if that provides more stable performance. I had 8 screens going before. Got to find which fuse will reset it - it's either F3 or F16 or both pulled to remove all power and reset it.

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
Got to find which fuse will reset it - it's either F3 or F16 or both pulled to remove all power and reset it.
From your excellent fuse mapping docs I was going to try F16, though I've been too lazy to attempt thus far. Plus, I'm not really sure the best way confirm it's the correct fuse after removing it. Will be curious to know what you find out. I really hate disconnecting the battery....

It feels to me like a quality/manufacturing issue with the product. Plug it in and it configures and works well for a short period. After being powered/hot/live for a while it then goes AWOL. Could just be a firmware issue, though. ;) I'm not interested in running/testing the previous FW version since it doesn't have the EGTs.

Still waiting for confirmation my replacement unit has shipped.

-Lee

Last edited:

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
Norm and Lee: Did your box have a sticker that said "2014 KESSY EDITION" or "PF03"?

I'm still guessing its hardware issue vice SW. I'm still running the 0.4.4 beta (knock on wood) without issues. I did encounter issues after initial install (0.4.3), through my own fault, by not ensuring 100% harness connections. After that both 0.4.3 (no EGT) and 0.4.4 beta worked flawless.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
Mine just says Polar with a barcode. Can't say whether is says PF03 or Kessy or not without dropping the footwell trim. Is there something in the menus to check?

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
Mine just says Polar with a barcode. Can't say whether is says PF03 or Kessy or not without dropping the footwell trim. Is there something in the menus to check?
Same with mine (wife emailed a pic). Will check this evening to see if there are any markings on the case itself. The updater app displays the product type and mine reads 'PF03' per the image I posted on the Auto Polar site.

Edit: No other markings on my unit and it's labeling doesn't match the PF03 devices shown on either the Auto-Polar or polarfis websites.

-Lee

Last edited:

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
Same with mine (wife emailed a pic). Will check this evening to see if there are any markings on the case itself. The updater app displays the product type and mine reads 'PF03' per the image I posted on the Auto Polar site.

Edit: No other markings on my unit and it's labeling doesn't match the PF03 devices shown on either the Auto-Polar or polarfis websites.

-Lee
I Concur. My box does not match what is shown on the movitelonline site, which apparently is the only option for PF03+Advanced. What we get, NOS?

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
My cousin ordered his after mine. His box is similar to yours, my looks like the pics on the web site. When I was helping my cuz install his that's the first thing I noticed. Hence my question about how your box looks...My cousins is working just like mine though.....

Have you guys tried resetting the fis via the menu and re-installing 0.4.4?

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
My cousin ordered his after mine. His box is similar to yours, my looks like the pics on the web site. When I was helping my cuz install his that's the first thing I noticed. Hence my question about how your box looks...My cousins is working just like mine though.....
Have you guys tried resetting the fis via the menu and re-installing 0.4.4?
Trice, today I was having difficulties just getting into the param menu to change the params after doing a factory reset. Ended up pulling the battery cable once again. Here's a pic of the box:

Emailing to movitelonline tonight as well. Give them an opportunity to resolve this first. This is getting ridiculous. It's great when it works, but it's getting old disconnecting the battery (pulling fuses did not work!), and since I already sold the SG, I'm feeling naked without reliable EGT temps!

This box does not appear to be the same as the one I thought I ordered: AUTO-POLAR-FIS-INTERFACE

Last edited:

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
^ That box looks like my cousin's. Contact movitel and they should be able to sort this out pronto.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
^ That box looks like my cousin's. Contact movitel and they should be able to sort this out pronto.
They responded already and I provided them more information on the car - year, model, engine code, radio version (whether OEM or not). They said that this is the latest version, same on the site (but label is different), and its a HW/FW issue. It's nighttime there now, so I should have a response later today/tonight.

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
Norm - I share your sentiments and frustration. Fortunately, I decided to keep my SG until I was sure the FIS+ works as advertised.

BTW, all communication -- other than an initial reply when notified of a defective product -- I've received has come from Auto Polar (info@auto-polar.com) and not Movitel. I received an email today stating my replacement unit will be shipped tomorrow.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
I've been dealing with movitel, so far. Maybe I'll raise the issue with the OEM. Anyways, movitel said to use FW version 0.4.4 beta 5. However, it appears that only beta 1 is on the updater site as when I look at the version info, I get SW: 0.4.4WZ1 and HW: 0.3.
Is this what yours shows? After doing another update last night, reducing the screens to only 3, it behaved itself all day today. This is the last reply I got (I wonder whom they are referring to?):

We already have some customers with PF03 Kessy Edition running fine into 2012 NMS & TDI Engine.

Did you tested the latest v0.4.4 beta 5?

If not, pls do so and let us know because 2 customers with same car like you (1 from USA and 1 from Canada) already using latest beta and they even having working the EGT readings (that in NMS cars changed a little and needed few different and new parameters added to the firmware)

Meantime we will contact the main coder of PF03 product for inform him about your situation.

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
I've been dealing with movitel, so far. Maybe I'll raise the issue with the OEM. Anyways, movitel said to use FW version 0.4.4 beta 5. However, it appears that only beta 1 is on the updater site as when I look at the version info, I get SW: 0.4.4WZ1 and HW: 0.3.
Is this what yours shows? After doing another update last night, reducing the screens to only 3, it behaved itself all day today. This is the last reply I got (I wonder whom they are referring to?):
We already have some customers with PF03 Kessy Edition running fine into 2012 NMS & TDI Engine.
Did you tested the latest v0.4.4 beta 5?
If not, pls do so and let us know because 2 customers with same car like you (1 from USA and 1 from Canada) already using latest beta and they even having working the EGT readings (that in NMS cars changed a little and needed few different and new parameters added to the firmware)
Meantime we will contact the main coder of PF03 product for inform him about your situation.
My SW and HW versions are identical to yours. I think the "beta 5" update must have been made available very recently, judging by a recent post by Mun on the Auto-Polar forum. I'll check the updater this evening for giggles but I'm not going to re-install the current device back on my car.

I received tracking info today for my replacement unit from A-P and it is coming via Spanish post -- it will be interesting to see how long it takes to arrive. A-P said it is from a new batch and has been thoroughly tested.

Are they sending you a replacement unit?

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
My SW and HW versions are identical to yours. I think the "beta 5" update must have been made available very recently, judging by a recent post by Mun on the Auto-Polar forum. I'll check the updater this evening for giggles but I'm not going to re-install the current device back on my car.
I'm seeing v0.4.4b5 under the beta folder in the online updater. It will be interesting to see what version the replacement unit comes loaded with.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
I'm seeing v0.4.4b5 under the beta folder in the online updater. It will be interesting to see what version the replacement unit comes loaded with.
Yep. I banged that one in this morning before going to work. Unfortunately, the version screen does not provide the minutia of detail to verify that is indeed installed. So far so good today. Not going to touch it for a couple days and see how it goes. Movitel said that the FW was being updated daily.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
Had the first dpf regeneration with the P-F in place. While the dpf status did not change, the dpf miles reset to 0 after the regen completed. Was at 311 miles, so while the box was not installed for all those miles, it pulled the current mileage from the ecu. 2 days now and no error or hangups.

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
^ how many screens? Did you notice your soot mass start to count down? My !soot mass goes down to about 5.x before regn stops and starts at about 2X.X. It would be nice to sorts out the AdBlue tank level, but I looked in VCDS and vdubtdi also confirmed that there is no actual level monitor for AdBlue on the NMS. Unfortunately DPF status will not work on the NMS. I'm content with being able to predict regen by monitering DPF KM and !soot mass.

Last edited:

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
^ how many screens? Did you notice your soot mass start to count down? My !soot mass goes down to about 5.x before regn stops and starts at about 2X.X. It would be nice to sorts out the AdBlue tank level, but I looked in VCDS and vdubtdi also confirmed that there is no actual level monitor for AdBlue on the NMS. Unfortunately DPF status will not work on the NMS. I'm content with being able to predict regen by monitering DPF KM and !soot mass.
Just running 3 screens for now, and don't have soot mass up right now. If this FW continues to be stable, I'll start adding screens one by one. Hopefully a future FW update will toggle the dpf status bit.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
Seems my replacement unit has arrived. Anxious to install it this evening.
What's your new box look like?

My box has been stable for the last week with absolutely no issues. Actually observed a passive regen today and watched the dpf miles reset to 0 and the soot mass count down to 0.0 from wherever it was. So stoked with its performance that I added a 4th screen. It can go up to 10 screens, although I think that is a bit much. Running 0.4.4 beta 5 from last week, I will check this weekend coming if there is a new update. So far so good, Not missing the scangage at all.

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
What's your new box look like?

My box has been stable for the last week with absolutely no issues. Actually observed a passive regen today and watched the dpf miles reset to 0 and the soot mass count down to 0.0 from wherever it was. So stoked with its performance that I added a 4th screen. It can go up to 10 screens, although I think that is a bit much. Running 0.4.4 beta 5 from last week, I will check this weekend coming if there is a new update. So far so good, Not missing the scangage at all.
The new box is ~300 higher in serial number sequence and has the newer label, but otherwise looks the same. It came loaded with 0.4.4 but didn't have the EGT parameters -- they appeared after reloading 0.4.4. (The b5 release was not present on the online updater yesterday.)

I will wait a few days to make sure it is stable before claiming victory. What a nice device...!