2006 Jetta air conditioner

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I had to pry my RVC out since it was stuck fairly solidly.
Once the snap ring was removed I took a large screwdriver and pried on the available protrusions to get it moving.
Once it moved it came out OK.

9mmkungfu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen, 2006 Jetta
My smaller fan is not coming on. As I understand it from previous posts, it seems this could be due to either a faulty RCV or the fan itself.

How can I test one or the other so I know which one is at fault?

Thanks!

monkeytrader

TDI
Jetta 2006
I was able to remove my RCV by drilling a small hole in the end and inserting a large screw. This gave me something to pull on. It was quite stuck but worked out eventually. After replacing the RCV, vacuum check, and recharge. The system cooled like a champ down to 40F. There is a lot of noise now from the idler pulley area. But cools!!! The only negative was the cooling fans flew apart shortly after hitting high speed. I was able to find a full assembly for less than two fans. Posted are pictures of the old RCV and the fans. If anyone can use the motors or shroud message me and we can work something out.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I try to leave about 20 or 30 psi in the system to help with removal. Even then, it often takes a hammer and chisel, prybar, and some patience to move around the corroded valve in order to break it free. It took about 40 minutes today to get one out - and this ain't my first rodeo.

The screw install is a good approach as well.

Everyone please remember that all it takes to foul up a new RCV is a tiny metal particle.
Also a working RCV does not guarantee that the swash plate and other components that must move will be able to move. 90% of the time it is just the RCV, with the symptoms covered in this thread.

But 5 or 10% of the time you must replace the compressor or the HVAC controller, or the wiring.

dschein

Veteran Member
TDI
None
DanG I'm hoping you can shed some light on this :(

Yesterday my son mentioned that the A/C on our 06 TDI Jetta isn't cooling. So I went out today to add some Freon. Took a look and the compressor isn't running. Check VCDS and the shut off (Compressor-Cutout) Code is 00, pulled and tested the 2-wire connector at the rear of the compressor for 12V - it has 12+ when on and drops when turned off. Next I try moving the clutch (center part) by hand - moves easy. Start the car and now there is a 'tinny' sound in the area of the compressor. Clutch still doesn't engage and I'm suspecting it's time for a new clutch.

Any idea if I'm on the right trail?

Is the clutch available as a solo part?

dschein

Veteran Member
TDI
None
On a related note (cause I'm curious) - when the RCV valve fails, does the clutch run (engage)?

The links to replacement RCV valve's from China no longer work. Anyone have a current link?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Dan,
Good to hear from you again.
There is no clutch on your 2006. There is only a breakaway feature on the pulley coupling. It sound as your's has de-coupled. It should always be turning, even in mid-winter.

The voltage you are measuring is to the RCV on your compressor, not the clutch.

You must either replace the coupling or the compressor. I have never simply replaced the coupling, as you have to wonder why it broke? Age and vibration? Or a binding in your compressor, even momentarily.

If you wanted to dismount the compressor, drain some oil, and verify no metal flakes are present, and the oil is light amber and clear, then you could try to replace the coupling/break-away device.

Mk V AC system

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
You can replace the rivets on the pulley coupling and see what happens. Or replace and compressor and condenser.

dschein

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Other projects and a son who's never home have kept me from working on this. But I do plan to get started soon. A video showing the compressor and the plate that's (currently) rattling here.

How simple is it to replace the rivets? Perhaps the big question is can I do it without opening the system?