ALH failure to start

dunkindeso

TDI
2003 Jetta
Hi all, back again under unfortunate circumstance.

Drove home last night with NO sign of any issues upon shutdown. Go to start this morning and after prolonged crank (approx 10 sec) it fires on what sounds like one or two cylinders, probably 300rpm very softly lots of smoke then stalls. Lots of BLACK smoke upon subsequent restart attempt but no go. When i say black i mean upon non-direct inhalation I could taste my future medial condition.

No codes in vcds. Checked IP timing although cold it was within spec on the chart. Cracked an injector line loose plenty of fuel (obvious by smoke) but in case there was air introduced. I replaced the timing belt 6-7k ago everything still looks fine.

Similar but not the same symptoms to the faulty injection pump which i replaced a while back with a used unit.

Linked HERE is a video from this morning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2VP9ZiE7t0

It's 40 degrees F / 4 degrees C here so that should not be a factor.

Only thing I can think of is possibly bad needle lift sensor?

Just rolled over 300,000 I was proud of my little TDI and all i was able to accomplish myself. My confidence is now up in smoke. Love it when it's working but perhaps mine is cursed. Thanks kindly

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Look it over for air restriction, disconnected piping, etc., be sure the timing belts intact.
Try again, this happened to me once after a 6 hour freeway drive, I was pretty sure my engine was toast, started again it was fine, never reoccurred. Maybe some flap like anti-shudder or ? was sticking.

dunkindeso

TDI
2003 Jetta
I owe you one. The plastic rod between the diaphragm to the ASV is broken in half. Cannot believe i overlooked that just assuming the worst. Thank you so much