Stereo Upgraded

sandwichtx

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI (6M)
[/url][/IMG]

I was not happy with the sound quality on the stock RCD 510, so I swapped out the head unit with this JVC unit (KW-HDR81BT). The sound is now so much better with the original stock speakers.

Last edited:

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Do the steering wheel controls still work OK? I guess the only thing you lose is the screen that tells you that your seat heaters are on (which is pretty useless IMO).

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Looks like a downgrade (can't comment on sound)

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I had to activate my Sirius just because of how terrible my 315 performs on FM. Close to the station transmitter its fine, but any distance (where I normally commute) is completely unacceptable. Next year I think I will be shoping for a nice glass aftermarket head unit that supports Airplay between my ipad and i phones. I have a $99 JVC HD radio in my dodge diesel, and that cheap radio holds a perfect HD lock very well in the rural parts, even a hundred miles away from the transmitter up firewood cutting!

Last edited:

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I'm going to replace my RNS-510 in about 6 months (want to wait until after the torrent of birthdays and holidays in the second half of the year) because it's such an awful piece of junk.

This makes me wonder if my SQ will improve; since the RNS-510 is such a piece of outdated crap technologically, perhaps the SQ is poor compared to quality aftermarket HUs as well.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Looks like a downgrade (can't comment on sound)
yeah I'd have to agree. It's quite ugly:p

BUT the sound might be better. Like the others said did you integrate it into the steering wheel and satelite etc.

I've been mulling over getting a new headunit and to keep the factory integration with all the different system stuff it's an extra 2-300$ on top of hte install. Roughly. This is paying a shop to do it. I don't trust myself to do it.

It's just tough to justify the price. I do want one though :mad:

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Sounds about right. This is roughly what I've figured out so far to replace my RNS-510 (thanks to large part to JM Popaleetus):

• Head Unit (the two I'm looking at are ~$1300)
  • Install bracket and bezel ($50)
  • RVC Adapter ($45)
  • Adapter for steering wheel controls & MFD integration ($80)
  • SiriusXM Antenna Adapter ($25)
  • AM/FM Antenna Adapter ($12)
  • GPS Antenna Adapter ($30)
  • iPod Cable ($30)

The iPod cable may just be a standard one, in which case it won't cost $30.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
As an aside, with the HU you are looking at, are the maps a FREE update? Or do you have to pay through the nose as we do with the stock system?

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Look at the Pioneer 4000 NEX if you don't want/need integrated NAV, or the 8000 if you do.

The 8000 is stinking gorgeous. It's also expensive. The 4000 has the same sound quality and same feature set but no Nav. The only other difference is that the 8000 has a capacitive screen, the 4000 is resistive.

I put a 4000 in my Mazda, tucked a 120Gb SSD up under the glove box full of FLAC files (yes, it plays FLAC!) and have my entire music collection with me anywhere I go. As a bonus it knows how handle a reverse camera and I fit one of those in the trunk lip; it's completely invisible from the rear of the car and adds that functionality.

I love it and in addition to working fabulously it also LOOKS good.

Last edited:

sandwichtx

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI (6M)
It may not look too good, but it does sound so much better. I did not think the stock speakers could sound so good. It is a huge improvement in sound quality. I did the install myself and I decided to add the module that will allow steering wheel control at a later time. I wanted to try the unit out for a while before spending more money. They are about $100.00, but you can find them for about $50.00 on Ebay. Although lately, I really don't miss or need the steering wheel controls.

I did gain direct ipod control and the ability to charge my ipod when plugged into the JVC headunit. I also like the ability to connect flash drives directly to the unit.

I also tried a Pioneer unit which sounded really good as well, but I switched to this one because it has HD radio. I think just about any aftermarket headunit will beat the sound quality on stock unit. I would recommend changing the head unit first before changing the stock speakers.

yeah I'd have to agree. It's quite ugly:p

BUT the sound might be better. Like the others said did you integrate it into the steering wheel and satelite etc.

I've been mulling over getting a new headunit and to keep the factory integration with all the different system stuff it's an extra 2-300$ on top of hte install. Roughly. This is paying a shop to do it. I don't trust myself to do it.

It's just tough to justify the price. I do want one though :mad:

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The Pioneer NEX series (the 4000 is what I put in my dash up above) has HD radio, bluetooth streaming and control/passthrough for both Aha radio and Pandora, and it integrates (with the PAC adapter) with the steering wheel controls. It will also accept a Sirius/XM feed if you want to add one.

I also replaced the speakers in the rear doors and tweeters in the dash (that's my Mazda, not a VW) and added a Kenwood sub under the passenger seat. The improvement in sound quality is astounding and is reasonably competitive with my near-field monitor + sub I listen to at home.