First Passat/TDI Purchase - Advice Needed!

Z40520

TDI
Future: JSW TDI
After 2+ years of lurking, I'm finally close to a purchase. I recently accepted a new employment opportunity and need to upgrade from my 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 (11mpg) and experience the wonders of TDI life. My commute will be approximately 35 miles per working day, and maybe the same total for the weekend. Not a long commute by any stretch, but we will be taking 4-5 long trips (OH to FL, OH to WV, OH to KY) each year which will justify the TDI.

I had long been pining the JSW but have recently favored the Passat for the increased space. I like the JSW, but with a new model coming in FY15, I can't purchase a '14 knowing the new one is on the way.

My questions regarding a 2014 Passat. I happen to be hunting the TDI SEL Premium, for whatever difference that makes regarding the questions.

1. I have mixed feelings about the alcantara/suede inserts on the seats. Any feedback on how it holds up? How is it to clean from say, spilled coffee?

2. I live in central Ohio, and we have generally mild winters for the most part, but occasionally we get the standard wintery-mix crap that really sidelines my 2WD truck. How does the Passat do in the non-routine winter conditions? Think heavy snow, ice, etc?

3. Pricing. The MSRP is $35,860 on the one I'm eyeballing. Apparently, VW's Q2 sales have slumped somewhat, and they're really trying to move cars before July 1st. My local dealer has a 2014 SEL Premium listed at $30,408 before any haggling. That seems like a decent price already. He also mentioned that if I come back in tomorrow (6/30) they'll likely be able to move on price further. Folks, I haven't brought up price once - he's literally negotiating against himself. They must really want to move cars. They happen to be the #1 volume VW dealer in the greater Columbus area, with two other dealers competing within 15 minutes of each other. Any feedback on where I should be ending up - where should my target be?

4. Financing. Supposedly they're offering 0.9% for 60 months with approved credit through VW. My plan is to hold the car for at least 8 years, potentially much longer. Am I crazy to take 1.9% for 72 months? It's not about the payment being lowered at all, it's about "free" money. Either of those rates are sub-inflation numbers. I would feel silly not taking the longer term as long as the rate is below 2.5%. Does this smell right?

5. Car seats. We just had our first child 2 weeks ago (partial reason for the purchase) and we'll probably have at least a second before the car is paid off. Any feedback on how the Passat handles more than one car seat from a utility/space standpoint/ease-of-access standpoint?

Thank you all in advance - also feel free to add any insight not relating to my questions if you think it's relevant! Really looking forward to officially becoming an official member of TDICLUB!

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
2. Ours did great up until it got high-centered in 14" of wet heavy snow- then I had to use the truck to pull it the rest of the way home. I was expecting to tear the exhaust throttle off as I pulled it home- even over baseball bat sized fallen trees, but no harm was done! Car was stuck in the garage until it melted down to below a foot.
* we live in a area where even high clearance 4x4 SUV's have trouble, and 99% of the time the Passat makes it home just fine in power snow conditions.

3. Most people are ending up in the high 20k low 30k range for SEL's and mid 20's for SE+nav and low 20's for 6 speeds

4. I would never do 72 months above 1%

5. 2 full size car seats fit perfect, even squeezed the mother in law in the middle between them once

Last edited:

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
My 2013 Passat TDI SE with General Altimax snow tires was the absolute best handling car I have ever had in the snow...and that includes my wife's two 4wd Jeep Grand Cherokee's and her current 2012 Dodge Durango AWD.

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
Had a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn just prior to the 14' Passat TDI SEL I bought in Nov of 13'. Prior to that I had a 2000 Silverado 2500. 13mpg to 15mpg to 42-48mpg for my commute. From Hemi to TDI, I am plenty happy with the TDI's pep.

Never worried about Snow tires with 4WD pick-ups, but have always been a fan of running tires for the season. Snow tires are a must with any 2WD car in the Northeast, imo. Ran them on each of my Front wheel drive cars prior to the trucks. They can transform your snow driving experience.

I opted for 16in Momo Winter Pro wheels with Falken's Eurowinter HS449. Put about 4k miles on the tires from Dec to Apr. Considering the winter we had this year is one of the Snowiest I recall, I had no issues commuting. I leave work around 5:45am and regardless of snow or ice, the TDI, DSG and snow tires gave me plenty of confidence.

Aside from Snow tires I opted for seat covers during the work week and a Frost Heater and Winter Front to make my TDI happy in winter weather. Very happy with each. Aries Automotive 3142-09 covers is what I got. Quick on, quick off and, if tucked in and tight, it doesn't look horrible. They come off for the weekend. Kept on for some winter storms too. One day Rt84 was closed and I opted to stay home all winter.

Vmwalker

TDI
2013 Passet TDI SEL Premium Reflex/Moonrock
My 2013 Passat TDI SE with General Altimax snow tires was the absolute best handling car I have ever had in the snow ....................
These are the same tires I had on my SEL the past two winters. Also a CBus person, the only days last winter (you which snowfall) that I parked the TDI, and drove the Trailblazer, was that I'd rather have some fool slide into the truck instead of the Passat. Good luck on your choice, they should be a-dealin' near the airport. I got mine from Chris (3193) but that was 2 years ago and no one locally was dealing off of MSRP.

DaveTC

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I wouldn't expect the Passat to handle better or worse than the 2WD truck.

I do not have snow tires, but I am considering purchasing a set. They would probably help quite a bit, but the car handles reasonably well. Twice this winter, I got the car stuck in heavier wet snow. Below the engine there is a belly pan. It acted like a wedge and lifted the car up so the front tires did not have traction. One time it happened in my unplowed driveway and one time it happened when it snowed while I was working late and tried to head home. Snow tires may not have helped in those cases. Still the car handles well, but having a shovel in back is a decent idea.

I have the SE, but I would probably select the SEL if I were to do it again.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
Take the .9% for 60. You'll pay ~$800 more per year, but save ~$1100 over the life of the loan. It's possible you'd do better putting the "savings" of the lower payment on the longer loan into stocks each year, but that's more work, less certain, and not something most people will wind up actually doing in the end. With a couple of kids on the way, if you're like most people the $800/yr will wind up going into kid expenses, and you'll just wind up paying more for the loan.

visionlinx

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
We bought our 2013 SEL TDI in August last year. Fully loaded model for $29,800. You should be able to get below $30k if the salesman is already negotiating against himself. , especially if you go back and close the deal today (month end and quarter end).

We have the lighter color seats, and they clean up easily (as long as you clean it right away). My wife loves the suede in the summer since it doesn't burn her legs. But I still won't let my kids eat or drink in the car.

On the kids reply, we have an 18month old and a newborn. Two seats fit easily in the back, and my mother-in-law had plenty of room. We had my toddler behind the driver, and the newborn in the middle, and my MIL behind my wife. But...do get the seat protectors they sell (got ours at babies-r-us) because the carseat will leave an imprint mark on the seats if you leave them in full-time.

If you can afford the higher monthly payment, do the 0.9% for 60 months. Juts my two cents, but personal finance is just that - no one-size fits all.

Last edited:

panther_v

TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Here are my 2 cents:
1. The suede insert is holding up pretty good after 1 year. i'm pretty careful not to spill anything in the car, so no experience with liquid.
2. sorry, no experience in snowy weather.
3. I bought mine in the summer of 2013, right before the '14 came out. my deal price was 30500 plus tax/fee. i believe i could have gotten a little cheaper.
4. I took advantage of their promotion - 0 down, 0% for 60 month.
5. I have a 2 yr old. The rear seat is very roomy. I had a Combi Shuttle 33 with base installed behind driver side, and I'm 6' tall. There is plenty of room even with a rear facing seat. Now I switched to a front facing baby seat and there's absolutely no issues. Mommy and my 9 yr old can fit along with my 2 yr old in the car seat fine. 2 adults with baby seat in the back might be a little tight though.
accessing baby in the back seat is no issues, as long as the door is swung beyond the 1st indent. it can be a challenge if space is tight (same for all swing open rear doors).
Hope these will help you.

My2013TDI

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
After 2+ years of lurking, I'm finally close to a purchase. I recently accepted a new employment opportunity and need to upgrade from my 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 (11mpg) and experience the wonders of TDI life. My commute will be approximately 35 miles per working day, and maybe the same total for the weekend. Not a long commute by any stretch, but we will be taking 4-5 long trips (OH to FL, OH to WV, OH to KY) each year which will justify the TDI.
I had long been pining the JSW but have recently favored the Passat for the increased space. I like the JSW, but with a new model coming in FY15, I can't purchase a '14 knowing the new one is on the way.
My questions regarding a 2014 Passat. I happen to be hunting the TDI SEL Premium, for whatever difference that makes regarding the questions.
1. I have mixed feelings about the alcantara/suede inserts on the seats. Any feedback on how it holds up? How is it to clean from say, spilled coffee?
2. I live in central Ohio, and we have generally mild winters for the most part, but occasionally we get the standard wintery-mix crap that really sidelines my 2WD truck. How does the Passat do in the non-routine winter conditions? Think heavy snow, ice, etc?
3. Pricing. The MSRP is $35,860 on the one I'm eyeballing. Apparently, VW's Q2 sales have slumped somewhat, and they're really trying to move cars before July 1st. My local dealer has a 2014 SEL Premium listed at $30,408 before any haggling. That seems like a decent price already. He also mentioned that if I come back in tomorrow (6/30) they'll likely be able to move on price further. Folks, I haven't brought up price once - he's literally negotiating against himself. They must really want to move cars. They happen to be the #1 volume VW dealer in the greater Columbus area, with two other dealers competing within 15 minutes of each other. Any feedback on where I should be ending up - where should my target be?
4. Financing. Supposedly they're offering 0.9% for 60 months with approved credit through VW. My plan is to hold the car for at least 8 years, potentially much longer. Am I crazy to take 1.9% for 72 months? It's not about the payment being lowered at all, it's about "free" money. Either of those rates are sub-inflation numbers. I would feel silly not taking the longer term as long as the rate is below 2.5%. Does this smell right?
5. Car seats. We just had our first child 2 weeks ago (partial reason for the purchase) and we'll probably have at least a second before the car is paid off. Any feedback on how the Passat handles more than one car seat from a utility/space standpoint/ease-of-access standpoint?
Thank you all in advance - also feel free to add any insight not relating to my questions if you think it's relevant! Really looking forward to officially becoming an official member of TDICLUB!
I traded in a 4 month old, 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 for my TDI. Love the car, wishing that I would have bought the SEL instead of my SE though. The car now has 40k on it and I'm thinking about trading in for a TSI SEL.

I'll be going 72 months just as I usually do. I prefer the lower note and am never upside down. I did sales for 2 years before I went to school for my EMT and Paramedic, still have plenty of ties with people who will bend over backwards for me. I was offered 23,500 today on trade. If I wasn't leaving for Colorado in 15 hours, I would have probably picked up a new Passat today.

Best of luck with the purchase! I miss having my Ram, but I love my Passat even more.