Bluetooth music auto on - Come on VW!

sandydeb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE 6MT Black
So, 2014 TDI SE with the base sound system.

I have CDs loaded in the CD changer but mostly use streaming music from my phone over bluetooth.

So let us say I was tuned to BT before turning the car off. When I start the car again, it DOES NOT go to BT but starts playing the CD instead.

Hmm, weird. I look up settings and see something for 'Auto play BT' Hurray! I check that box.

One day later, I am listening to FM before shutting the car down. When I start the car next, it goes to ...... BT? *** :confused:

Nothing more than a minor irritant but how difficult would it be to remember what was playing last, something that every manufacturer out there seems to have figured out. I have owned Toyota, Suzuki, Honda, Infiniti previously and currently co-own an Infiniti alongside the VW and they all have no trouble remember what was playing before the car stopped.
What am I missing here?

Last edited:

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
And leave the damn radio playing when I turn off the key. Don't shut off the radio until I pull my key out.

I hate it when i'm listening to BT, stop at CVS, my wife runs in, I shut off the car, and WHAM...radio out and BT disconnected. Then I have to press the button to turn on the radio again and then wait for BT to reconnect. PITA.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
I'm with pparks1. It may not be a very big deal to hit the button to turn the radio back on, but I don't think I know anyone who PREFERS the radio to shut off along with the engine, rather than when opening the door AFTER shutting off. Minor irritance, but it's one that I notice routinely, so it gets disproportionate attention.

09jettaloyale

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Passat SE DSG, 2001 F-250 PSD
I have the RNS-510 and it remembers what was playing when it was shut off. When my wife listens via BT it takes the radio a good 20-25 seconds to turn on. If she was listening to the radio it's about 5 seconds.

sandydeb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE 6MT Black
I'm with pparks1. It may not be a very big deal to hit the button to turn the radio back on, but I don't think I know anyone who PREFERS the radio to shut off along with the engine, rather than when opening the door AFTER shutting off. Minor irritance, but it's one that I notice routinely, so it gets disproportionate attention.
The bizarre thing there is that there is some power ALWAYS flowing to the radio, even when ignition is on full off and the key is out.

I figured this out the other day when I way cleaning the mats when the car was parked, fully off and no key in ignition. The CD changer was making random noises of the sort made when the CDs are being loaded. I tried to turn the radio on but that did not work.

However, for some reason (what????) the CD changer was doing things.

Sometimes I think this is some VW insider joke or may be German sense of humor that I do not get. :rolleyes:

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
I've noticed the same CD changer noise when the car is off. I suspect that the CD changer is going into a "safe" disc storage mode or something like that (I had an old stereo that would make similar shuffling noise after being turned off). But that's pure speculation... Anyone know for sure?

Justinw303

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG w/ Sunroof
I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't just leave the Bluetooth on my phone on 24/7, so having it automatically remember I was on Bluetooth last isn't helpful to me, considering how easy it is to connect.

So then you find a option that automatically connects to Bluetooth when the car is turned on, and you're upset that it automatically connects to Bluetooth when the car is turned on? Of all the simple things to complain about...

AggieFCO

TDI
2012 Passat SE
What really drives me crazy is that when my phone is connected the Passat will automatically play Pandora or Sirius through my phone, killing my data plan. I know I could just turn bluetooth off, but I wish there were an "auto play" option.

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
Time to pile on - getting into the car and ready to roll, I may choose either Sir/XM or FM to play. Behind the scene is my iPhone playing my music library. I have to hit the Media button and hit pause. Then, resume listening to the other source. What really sucks about this is the unneeded drain on my phone's battery while it's plugged in and supposedly charging. The one tried and true way to get a work around is to shut down the BT. Any other suggestions?

2012 Passat TDI SE. 6SpM

brsexton

TDI
Don't own TDI's
Time to pile on - getting into the car and ready to roll, I may choose either Sir/XM or FM to play. Behind the scene is my iPhone playing my music library. I have to hit the Media button and hit pause. Then, resume listening to the other source. What really sucks about this is the unneeded drain on my phone's battery while it's plugged in and supposedly charging. The one tried and true way to get a work around is to shut down the BT. Any other suggestions?

2012 Passat TDI SE. 6SpM

There is a TSB to correct this issue. Read here http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4063118#post4063118

sandydeb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE 6MT Black
So then you find a option that automatically connects to Bluetooth when the car is turned on, and you're upset that it automatically connects to Bluetooth when the car is turned on? Of all the simple things to complain about...
No. I said it automatically starts playing music through BT (or more accurately, switches to Aux BT mode without playing anything) even though I may be tuned to something other than Aux BT.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
Thanks for pointing out the Auto Play Bluetooth option! I'll have to check that box on my radio. Bluetooth is really the only thing I listen to in my car anyways.