US Warranty Work on Canadian Car

bboshart

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline 6M Sports Package
We were vacationing in Pennsylvania this past week. Our 2013 Passat starting making very loud noises from the rear suspension. I called a local VW dealer, explained we were from Canada and our car had started making these disturbing noises. I inquired if they could have a quick look to make sure its safe to continue to drive and I would have it repaired back in Canada. The answer was sorry we are totally booked all week. I explained again that we are a thousand miles from home, have non-refundable motels booked and a play. Could they please fit us in for a quick look. The answer again was sorry we are booked. I said ok, I guess I will try another dealer. Sensing I was not happy, he took my number and said he would see what he can do and call me back, never did call back. I called my dealer back in Canada, he said sorry they have no influence in the USA, and said that this is a common complaint as the warranty paperwork for USA dealers on Canadian cars is time consuming. I was not impressed. Drove the car home, hoping it was only noisy links. Is it wrong for me to expect better? I did not want to displace another customer's repair time but surely they could have a quick look for someone in this position on a vacation far from home?

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
I'd say that's par for the course if you visit the States, at least from what I've read on this site.

Glad to hear you made it home.

Regards

Requiescat In Pace
Burlington, NJ {35 minutes from Phila Int"l
TDI
all the TDI's on the lot
This is very disturbing to hear and I apologies to you how you were treated and left out to dry.

And to think of the days when the techs are sitting back there wondering where their next job will come.

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
In the US it seems that there is only one or two dealers with a usable service department in any given area. Scheduling an oil change can take a week at many dealers. My 1 year service took 3 hours and they forgot to top the urea.

1alfie

TDI
2015 Passat Highline
I've had both warranty issues and routine maintenance looked after at Lokey VW in Clearwater, Fl. The work in each case was performed on the day I called to make an appointment with no problems.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
If I had an appointment for service (for the only day that worked for me) and discovered I was bumped because someone else's car broke down I would be angy. Please don't be upset when a dealer - or any mechanic - is completely booked and can't see you RIGHT NOW.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
If I had an appointment for service (for the only day that worked for me) and discovered I was bumped because someone else's car broke down I would be angy. Please don't be upset when a dealer - or any mechanic - is completely booked and can't see you RIGHT NOW.
I wouldn't be so.

Having your car break down sucks, and that is magnified 100x when the car is broken down a thousand miles from home. If I had my car in for service and if my dealer called and explained the situation, in no way would I be upset. It might put me out a little, but I'd ask myself how would I feel if I were the guy suffering the breakdown.

Again, he wasn't asking them to fix it on the spot. It appears as though he was asking for a quick best-effort diagnosis and a "Is this OK to drive an additional 1,000 miles until I get back home?"

Not an unreasonable request.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Did the OP offer to pay cash for the quick inspection?

Volkswagen is ultimately responsible for the fact that a car purchased in Canada has no easy warranty access in the USA, and, I presume, vice versa. If this were to happen in Europe, would the situation be the same? A Germany purchased car has poor access to warranty services in France? Doubt it. They are part of the EU. Well, Canada and the USA are part of NAFTA. Gee whiz, many of our cars are made in Mexico.

bboshart

Veteran Member
TDI
It was not so much an issue of "RIGHT NOW". It was obvious that there was a complete lack of interest. No suggestions, no advice, no offering of in a couple days, just a flat out "sorry we are too busy".

bboshart

Veteran Member
TDI
A few years ago, my wife and I were motorcycling in New Hampshire. My wife's BMW motorcycle turn signal switch failed and was under warranty. We stopped at shop, they were very welcoming, fit us in that afternoon and even took the needed part off a bike in the showroom. Amazing people. Mind you, the motorcycle culture can be different than auto.

bboshart

Veteran Member
TDI
Btw, my car was repaired today at my dealer. Both rear sway bar links replaced, one had free play and the other was broke!

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE/sunroof, DSG
We have had to make a few emergency stops over the years while traveling away from home. Every VW dealer we stopped at was courteous and helpful, and took care of our needs right away---so dealers in Duluth, MN; Fargo, ND; Eugene, OR, Salem, OR and Spokane, WA, please take a bow. You rock!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Btw, my car was repaired today at my dealer. Both rear sway bar links replaced, one had free play and the other was broke!
Glad to hear you returned safely, and your dealer took care of you.

There's a sway bar link thread going. seems that there have been more than a few failures. Make sure you post there!

Dealership experiences run the full range of possibilities, don't they? Sorry your experience here was particularly poor.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
There's empathy and then there are dollars. It doesn't take long to find out which is more important. Please don't condemn all for the actions of a few.