malone stage 2, deletes, p0544

apeck618

TDI
2012 golf 2dr TDI, 6speed
I have the p0544 code

I changed bank 1 egt sensor, its the only egt i have, as i have the full deletes on my car, I cleared the codes, but after 1 restart the code comes back and is cutting my power, any help?

TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I have the p0544 code

I changed bank 1 egt sensor, its the only egt i have, as i have the full deletes on my car, I cleared the codes, but after 1 restart the code comes back and is cutting my power, any help?
How long have you been in your current setup?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You changed the sensor on the exhaust manifold, not the downpipe, correct? And you didn't mix up the orange and black connections on the firewall I assume.

Last edited:

apeck618

TDI
You changed the sensor on the exhaust manifold, not the downpipe, correct? And you didn't mix up the orange and black connections on the firewall I assume.

I changed the one on the down pipe, Maybe I change the wrong one. I didnt see one on the manifold. Il have to check that out.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you changed the wrong sensor. egt1 is in the exhaust manifold. You can reach down and change it without pulling the turbo. Alternatively you can swap the orange and black plugs on the firewall with minor tweak to one plug. But then the ecu is getting a false reading and won't cut power until further into the danger zone.

apeck618

TDI
you changed the wrong sensor. egt1 is in the exhaust manifold. You can reach down and change it without pulling the turbo. Alternatively you can swap the orange and black plugs on the firewall with minor tweak to one plug. But then the ecu is getting a false reading and won't cut power until further into the danger zone.
Okay so I swapped the plug with the orange plug, it worked for 5k miles and now the code is back. I dont even drive the car hard at all. Any suggestions?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Okay so I swapped the plug with the orange plug, it worked for 5k miles and now the code is back. I dont even drive the car hard at all. Any suggestions?
Sounds like the second sensor died. I'd buy a new one, put it in the proper egt1 location and swap the plugs back. Or you could replace egt2 and leave the plugs. Be gentle when you install it and don't get any grease or oil on the sensor.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
But first I'd check the plug connection to make sure it's firmly seated.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You'd set it to read resistance in ohms across the plug terminals. You'd have to look up the specs on that. If the OP kept the original egt2 sensor he mistakenly replaced, it should still be good.

KidFromAkron

TDI
2010 jetta
I have the same upgrades and the same code. I thought I ordered the correct temp sensor and although it looked right the threads were too small. Do you have part number for the two sensors ?