PSA (Peugeot-Citroen) HDI diesel

M

mickey

16vforever: You LIKE the Cougar? Hmmm. Other than that one, I agree with your opinions. Too bad the 300M is a Chrysler. You know what I really can't stand? The new Ford Mustangs! They really should have started over from scratch. "Design by committee" still doesn't work. I do like the new Corvette, but then I liked the last Mazda RX7. Why design your own car when you can rip off somebody else's?

When I was 14, my dad brought home a 1974 Austin Marina. (Yes, they sold Austins in the US for some reason.) We never let him live that decision down. "The engine runs just like a little sewing machine", he said. We remember it like it was yesterday. (He wishes we wouldn't.) You know, it's amazing what you can do with baling wire and duct tape when you have to. My mother became the family expert on SU-type carburators. I'll say one thing for it, though: At least it was ugly! A pretty car, like a Jag, would have just pissed us off. One's feelings towards the Austin tended more towards "pity" and "nurturing", rather than anger. I wonder if that means it had soul? I kind of miss that silly contraption.

-mickey

Dieselworld

Veteran Member
I can't believe this thread is still alive!

Americans drive gas guzzling porky looking oversized behemoths because.......gas is so cheap. Now don't get me wrong I love cheap fuel prices. Only does the middle east enjoy cheaper fuel than the US. Untill the prices get to around $2 per gallon will the public demand more fuel efficient cars and trucks. Then the diesel options on most cars and trucks will return. I long for a return to the mid '80's with a diesel option for almost every car and truck sold in the US. WOW.

Busting on us Americans on our vehicles won't do anything. The public wants something and the manufacturers comply. That's why we drive Tdi's right? Most cars of the world are butt ugly. We can all agree on that. I have heard from other board groups that GM, Ford, and Chrysler are experiementing with the new high tech Detroit Diesel engines in the SUV to get the fuel average up and the emmissions down.

Now if only the Jap imports would do the same. I am going to find a Jeep Scrambler and put a 4cy turbo diesel engine maybe and isuzu or a VW Tdi if I can get the tranny/bellhousing figured out. I will make my own diesels from now on.

Chow

diesel_freak

Veteran Member
Russell, if you want a TD Jeep, maybe you should check out VM Motori's engines. VM is part of the Detroit Diesel Group, and they make a 2.5 liter TD engine that is OEM in the Chrysler Minivans, Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Cherokee, and Grand Cherokees sold in Europe.

If you can get a hold of the engine and tranny or bellhousing, you've got it made.

Mickey, yes I think the new Cougar is a *****in' looking car. I am sold on Ford of Europe's new edge styling. One of the reasons I like it is because it ISN'T another "me too" design statement from Japan, Inc.

M

mickey

Russell, this poor thread never had a chance. And it showed such promise, too! I apologize.
But your TD Jeep idea, on the other hand, is very cool!

-mickey

murraywest

Veteran Member
Too late to jump in?

I graduated from HS in 1977. My dad had two 76 Peugeots, a gas 504, and a diesel 504. I had a tricked out El Camino, but every Friday night I would take the Diesel with the killer Pioneer Supertuner 8 track, and open the sunroof and fly around town with my girlfriend.

The best thing about the Peugeot was if you took the headrest off, and folded down the back of the seat, it would become like a mini bed. The summer of 77 was double lucky.

I was cruising down the road one day, and came upon a 75 504 DSL for sale for only 800 bucks. I bought it, put new tires on it, and drove it around for fun. One day it just wouldnt start - no compression. I finally got rid of it this week.

I would have bought a new Peugeot if one had been available in the US, but my TDI Jetta is a great car for the money.

------------------
My 99 Jetta proudly wears the TDI badge... Moe

tom

Veteran Member
Mickey, you mentioned the new Corvette. I found out that the front and rear tires aren't the same size (16"/17"). I would think that might lead to rotation problems but maybe they give you two sets of rims with the car, I don't know.
One thing I know for sure speaking of the differences between Europe and North America, they keep their cars longer than we do in North America. However, I would say we log (on average) more miles per year than Europe.

M

mickey

tom, I had a messy dream last night that I was leading the sort of life in which rotating tires on my '99 Corvette was a source of concern to me. Then I woke up. I don't anticipate that becoming a problem for me any time soon.

-mickey

p.s. Seriously, though, I'd guess those Z-rated stickers would probably wear out so quickly that rotation is not a meaningful issue.

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
Talk about appreciating cars that are not pretty. Right now, I'm lusting after the BMW M-Coupe. You know, the Z3 Roadster on steroids and with a hardtop? I don't know what's come over me all of a sudden.

M

mickey

Must've been a bad acid trip. I can't stand those Beemer coupes. I think they're the cheeziest looking cars on the planet.

As I've said before: I just like the new Corvette because I happened to like the last RX7. They're practically identical. Coincidence? I think not.

-mickey

[This message has been edited by mickey (edited July 15, 1999).]