Halogen vs LED

jbrill

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
With winter fast approaching and nightfall starting sooner, I have never been really fond of the amount of light my headlights throw. "Upgrading" the standard H7 bulbs to Sylvania Silverstars did seem to improve things a bit but at 4x the price, they also seem to burnout 4x faster too! :eek:

That said, I'm thinking of trying out some aftermarket H7 LED bulbs? Has anyone made the conversion and found a bulb that fits well? From what I can tell LED bulbs have bigger backends and may not fit well in 2005 Passat housings. Here is the model I'm contemplating ordering:

http://www.opt-7.com/fluxbeam-led-headlights/

Thoughts? Other brands?

Thanks!

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I put an HID kit in. With the B5 projectors they have a nice cutoff still.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I put new lights in. Polishing would reduce the scratched on the outside but not the yellowing of the plastic. You can get a set of new headlights for the less than the cost of LED bulb. HIDS will also be cheaper and much brighter if your lenses are in otherwise good condition.

https://www.amazon.com/Depo-341-1109L-AS-Volkswagen-Replacement-Headlight/dp/B004I11UAQ/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Volkswagen%7C74&Model=Passat%7C979&Year=2005%7C2005&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=2&vehicleType=automotive

What a lot of you from the US of A fail to realize that up in Canuckistan any of those prices are way more or the item is not available. Even if it is on Amazon, Amazon.ca may not have it !!!

Never mind the sometimes outrageous duties imposed or even worse if you have to deal with FEDEX, UPS etc, Those B a s t a r d s have a hefty "BROKERAGE" charge !!!

Just my 2 cents worth on LED bulbs, save your money and rather spend it on a complete headlight set with projectors and HID bulbs,. Check eBay for those. I tried LED replacement bulbs on my 2002 Jetta and they sucked big time.

Last edited: