B5.5 rusty suitcase muffler-replace?

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
What's everyone doing when these guys rust out? Replacing or eliminating? Don't want a noisy Passat so should I replace with OE type and if so, where is the best source?

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
On my 2003 jetta I have replaced the muffler with a straight pipe and did not notice much of a noise increase at all. Most of my noise is from the engine bay while idling. I can hear more turbo now, but that is about it. I would just keep it simple and have a straight pipe put on. It is also the cheapest option. I had a shop do mine for $70.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The outer shell on my B5.5 muffler rusted and partially came off a year and a half ago. I tore it off the rest of the way and it's been fine ever since.

When it finally goes, I'm replacing it with a pipe.

Is yours leaking?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I removed my muffler (Mufflerectomy) years ago on my 2002 Jetta. I guess it depends on your or your passengers ear sensitivity. With the muffler gone there was an annoying "DRONING" from a standstill, especially for rear seat passengers, until you reached cruising speed. Or any other time you had to re-accelerate after having had to slow down.

I found the cure for that was to put a "Hollywood" or straight through muffler in that space. It cured the droning !!!!!

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
So, Jetta Pilot, you just put a straight pipe in place of the muffler, or went through the old, rotted muffler with a straight pipe?

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
If its anything like the late MK4 mufflers, the outer case will rust away but the insides are all stainless and will last forever. Unless it leaking, I would leave it.