Enclosed Car Trailer shopping....

Quattrojim

Veteran Member
TDI
'07 Touareg V10 TDI & '03 "GO" 1.9T TDI
I'm in the market (or window shopping) for an enclosed car trailer. What do you guys recommend? How long? I do not need a race-car trailer with all the amenities, just an enclosed car hauler and maybe a side door access. A driver door "escape hatch" on the left side of the trailer (as I've seen them called) would be nice but not necessary. Your thoughts?

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
I paid $500 for this one, only lose 1-2 mpg pulling it, you can't feel it behind the car at all

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Aaron, he did say "Car Hauler" eventually, but I was wondering there at first as well.

Also, my cousins wife loved the armrest hinge repair kit and she had fun installing it. So easy a girl can do it.

thevwkid53

Veteran Member
TDI
DAS SOOT
The most common is 8.5 X 20, but it will depend on a number of things.

How long is the car you plan on putting in it ?
Will that car change before you change the trailer ?
If you are looking to keep it or resell it in a few years, will play a role in the length you should get because that will affect resale if its to short or to long. (ie: an uncommon size)
How heavy is the car, and the tools/stuff that will be in it all at the same time?
Do you want to have a work bench or counter at the front ?

I could go on and on but lets start with those questions ?

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
What are you towing with?

I've been thinking of getting one with the V front for less wind resistance.

You usually need a 16', but as stated 20 seems standard.

I'm 6'2" so I usually get my trailers an extra foot tall. If nothing else that's where all the heat is in the summer and its nice to have the headroom.

The diamond plate shield on the front is nice. Shows less wear.

Personally I prefer the torsion axles to springs.

If you're going about it all about price make sure the trailer has the brakes necessary for your state. Sometimes they'll do something like brakes only on one axle to save a few bucks. You can't get a trailer like that inspected here in PA like that. Breakaway kit, safety chains, etc.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
oops, hehe, didn't notice that he wanted to haul a car in it.

Glad your relative is enjoying the armrest hinges :D

tehDiceman

TDI
2013 Jetta
A 20 foot enclosed? I think the smallest you would want is 25-28.(do they even make a 20 foot enclosed?) Figuring you'll want some spare tools, set of tires, spare parts, etc. I had an 18+2 dovetail open trailer and it was a stretch on some vehicles. Would be more than enough for a small coupe but anything else the 25-28 foot will be a life saver.

Sent from my mobile device