Bleeding the injector pump??

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel
Hi all I was trying to bleed the injector pump today. I hooked my Mity Vac up to the return line as I do other diesel injection pumps. I could pull one mean vacuum but I never really got any fuel through it. What am i doing wrong? This can't be that difficult.
Greg

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel
I did that. I know it has an electric fuel shut off, but still could not get it to come through. But it would of had to of been that. I was hearing a double clicking when I would turn on the key so it makes me wonder if I didn't have a problem with it. When it was not wanting to start I did check to see if it had power and it did.
Greg

M

mickey

Sucking on the wrong tube, perhaps? It should work, if you know where to suck.

Here's an easy priming method that doesn't require sucking:

After you've filled the filter up with fresh fuel or additive, loosen two of the injector pipe fittings at the injectors. Just a couple of turns. Don't disconnect them entirely. The idea is to create a big, fat LEAK.

Crank the engine while a helper watches the "leaky" connections. Tell them to signal you the instant they notice fuel spraying from the fittings. (Yes, it'll make a bit of a mess...but nothing a few paper towels can't fix.) If the engine starts to fire, shut off the key immediately!

Once you've got fuel to the injectors, tighten the fittings and crank some more. The engine should start within a few seconds and run rather roughly on those two cylinders. After a few more seconds, it should smooth out as the other injectors come on line.

Come to think of it, you could probably bleed all 4 lines this way. It depends on how big a mess you want to make.

It works for me! Works like a charm, in fact. Even if you do the "vacuum method", the pipes will still be empty. (If you removed them.) It'll take considerable cranking. My method gets fuel to the injectors with a minimum of cranking.

-mickey