NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

HammerTDI

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Manual
Pretty easy, I'm not going to buy one. New or used.

Drive more worry less (in my ALHs).:D
I have my 2012 and i am not concerned at this point. I spoke with my dealer and two others in NE OH and all three of them combined had only done 2 HPFP repairs. One was a known misfuel. There are examples on the internet of 2009 CR units achieving well over 100K so far.

I am going to sit and watch what happens over the next couple of years. If it becomes more of an issue, I will sell the car. The used CR values are holding up very well (at least for now) so if I start losing sleep over it, i'll just trade it (maybe for a TDi Passat).

For right now i'm loving my CR!

LTCUSARetired

TDI
2011 Jetta SportWagen
VW email address

Hello,

Reference: HPFP warranty issue.

I would appreciate the email address you use to correspond with VW. What "department" are you dealing with, if you know?

Is the dept. able to handle technical questions such as lubricants, if you know?
If you don't, that's ok. I'll just send them an em and ask my question(s). They may need to refer me to another dept. Such fun.

Thx, Sam

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I figured I could retype it in less time then it would take to read 213 pages!

I emailed VW today to verify if the HPFP was a covered part under VW's 5/60 powertrain warranty. I actually wound up chatting with an advocate. He stated that VW and NHTSA are doing a voluntary investigation onto the potential HPFP failures. He stated that while they sort out the problem VW has "voluntarily" extended the warranty on the HPFP to 5/60 on "certian" TDi models.

I explained that I have a new 2012 and wanted to know if the HPFP would be covered under the 3/36 or the 5/60. I provided my VIN and he stated he would have to check and email me in the morning but he was fairly certain that it was covered to 5/60.

If I get the email in the morning and it states the warranty is covered to 5/60, I will for sure save the email, but I will also post it here.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
HammerTDI: > VW has almost 2 years to figure it out before...

VW has had over 2 years to take a more responsible position on supporting the out-of-warranty customers (regardless of whether the root cause was fully understood, remedied or redesigned around). They've done nothing.

This just cost them a CR sale. I've taken steps to keep our ALH running for another year or so, and see what's on the market then.
VW initial reaction to this wasn't the smartest from PR point of view. Now that its out in the open, my sense is that VW is doing a far better job.

Sure some of the pumps will fail, but we never hear the good news where VW takes responsibility, just the bad news.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
**Note**--I'm not trying to throw fuel on the fire of paranoia here, just making a suggestion if you want to email and get a complete answer. Personally, I'm getting less and less worried about the whole thing as time goes on--I mean, what can you do at this point? (hopefully not famous last words...).
Cheers,
~T
You've just stated they way that the corporate environment works today. At best, they will only answer the questions that you asked, in the same way that you asked them.

At worst, they will give you an answer that they think will placate you that may or may not actually give you the desired answer to your question. This happens both internally and externally and is also dependent on who you specifically ask the question to.

joseph2012

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Assuming that VW covers the high pressure fuel pump for 5/60 because that is part of the powertrain, does that also mean they will pay for the replacement of the rest of the fuel system that has been contaminated by metal fragments.
My concern is that they will cover the cost of the fuel pump but I will still have to pay for other parts that have to be replaced when the fuel pump fails.

HammerTDI

TDI
Hello,

Reference: HPFP warranty issue.

I would appreciate the email address you use to correspond with VW. What "department" are you dealing with, if you know?

Is the dept. able to handle technical questions such as lubricants, if you know?
If you don't, that's ok. I'll just send them an em and ask my question(s). They may need to refer me to another dept. Such fun.

Thx, Sam
The online chat department is who I dealt with. They can be reached at: volktalk@vw.com

HammerTDI

TDI
Assuming that VW covers the high pressure fuel pump for 5/60 because that is part of the powertrain, does that also mean they will pay for the replacement of the rest of the fuel system that has been contaminated by metal fragments.
My concern is that they will cover the cost of the fuel pump but I will still have to pay for other parts that have to be replaced when the fuel pump fails.
I spoke with the service manager at the dealership I bought my car at. VW will cover damage to non covered parts if they are caused by the failure of a covered part. For example: Your HPFP goes at 54,287 miles and toasts the whole fuel system. In this case the HPFP would be covered as would every other part that was damaged / destroyed by the HPFP failure.

This is know in the industry as "resultant damage". The same could be said with other parts too. Lets say you had a brake issue that caused the brake pads (normally not covered) to fail prematurely. In that cash VW would pay for new brake pads as well.

Last edited:

turborod

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Sport Wagon
I'll buy supplemental insurance to cover the pump if its available. I know Loyds of London will cover anything but it is got to reasonable if it's even possible.
Pump out at 105k. Turbo out at 114k. Drivers visor broke a few weeks ago( drive in the desert a lot). Am radio quit working a year after I got it. Drink holder in back broke. Sun glasses holder broke. Few bruises. Seat belt light went on a few days ago. But what a blast to drive.

Sonic_Sound

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Black, ALH
i live in MI, my dad was looking to get a 2012 TDI sport wagen. i called our local stealership ( thelen vw ) here in bay city and they have never heard of this fuel pump problem, i called the dealership the car he wants is at( 3990 East Lincoln Highway US 30Merrillville, IN 46410 ) and they haven't heard anything about fuel pump problems either but gave me the vw care phone number and said they might know what areas are affected... idk weather to be concerned that they don't know or glad. should i discourage my dad from getting one?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It happens/happened to a small percentage of owners. Both of you should read up on it here so your father can make an informed decision. No one can do this for you.

Sonic_Sound

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Black, ALH
i thought this was a meeting place or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged. sorry if i didn't convey the question properly. when purchesing a new tdi should we be wary of dealerships that have no clue about the HPFP failures? and the information is good BUT the way its presented and reading most of it ALMOST makes us want to stop buying VWs all together. so i came here to ask.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
i thought this was a meeting place or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged. sorry if i didn't convey the question properly. when purchesing a new tdi should we be wary of dealerships that have no clue about the HPFP failures? and the information is good BUT the way its presented and reading most of it ALMOST makes us want to stop buying VWs all together. so i came here to ask.
Never owned a VW in my life until 2010. Did my research and read all the information here before my purchase. You can go to almost any auto forum and find problems with the exception of some Lexus groups who censor and delete posts if you start mentioning issues you are having.

I like the open exchange of ideas here at TDIClub.

There are now 3 TDI's in our house. Two in my signature and a 2012 Golf TDI.

I would not be afraid of a dealer who doesnt admit to vehicles having problems. You will be hard pressed to find any business admit to having issues with any product they sell.

Last edited:

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
i live in MI, my dad was looking to get a 2012 TDI sport wagen. i called our local stealership ( thelen vw ) here in bay city and they have never heard of this fuel pump problem, i called the dealership the car he wants is at( 3990 East Lincoln Highway US 30Merrillville, IN 46410 ) and they haven't heard anything about fuel pump problems either but gave me the vw care phone number and said they might know what areas are affected... idk weather to be concerned that they don't know or glad. should i discourage my dad from getting one?
I love mine and knowing what I know today, I'd do it again without hesitation.

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
i live in MI, my dad was looking to get a 2012 TDI sport wagen. i called our local stealership ( thelen vw ) here in bay city and they have never heard of this fuel pump problem, i called the dealership the car he wants is at( 3990 East Lincoln Highway US 30Merrillville, IN 46410 ) and they haven't heard anything about fuel pump problems either but gave me the vw care phone number and said they might know what areas are affected... idk weather to be concerned that they don't know or glad. should i discourage my dad from getting one?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not. Take it from one of the thousands and thousands of us who really like our TDI. Has there been problems with the car? Has any car not had a problem? Don't thinks so.

The HPFP issue has been blown so far out of proportion it's just beyond belief. Many feel that some of those who have made wild statements could well be trolls for another make but who knows.

My TDI puts a smile on my face every day I drive it. Not many cars can be cruised at 75/80 mph and show 44 mpg on the trip computer.

:)

Sonic_Sound

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Black, ALH
thank you GTIDan for helping me with my question i was starting to think that and needed somebody with more knowledge about it to make a statement like that, i started thinking it was being BOP as well but wasn't sure, BOP ( blown out of proportion), and to darrelld for making a good point which is probably on point, I like the open exchange of ideas here at TDIClub as well which is why i come here from time to time to ask questions. thanks to all you've helped another :)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I wasn't trying to put you off, but the discussion you are asking about has been happening for years now and still goes on. Ultimately though only you can make the decision how much faith you put in any statement made here and if you think the problem is significant enough to warrant caution. I want a new Passat 6 speed and have no issues with buying one. "If" something happens to the hpfp, I know exactly what I am in for. Good luck with your decision!

Charrigan

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
The dealer is there to sell cars. It wouldn't be in their best interest to confirm a known vehicle issue that could lose them a sale.

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
The dealer is there to sell cars. It wouldn't be in their best interest to confirm a known vehicle issue that could lose them a sale.
Really not every dealer or person on this planet is out to get you. Have some faith.

I shopped around prior to buying my TDI and found they all were pretty up front about the car. Now, after almost three years of ownership I have a great relationship with the service manager and stop by often for some free coffee and a chat. He has always been open on any issue I've asked about and, he does read this forum.

To date they have had four HPFP replaced.......all under warranty. Three were definitely due to mis-fueling and one is still unexplained. All were 2009MY vehicles.

Three of their customers (2009MY) have gone over the 100K mark with no major problems.

My car (2010) has had two tail lite bulbs and the driver's door lock assembly replaced due to intermittent failure to lock remotely. All under warranty.

The good feeling I get when driving the car today is as strong as the day I drove it home.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
^ these cars really are such a pleasure to drive I have stopped worrying about this and just enjoy !

HammerTDI

TDI
+1... blew by some poor sap driving a Prius today. They where in the left hand lane doing 50 MPH (65 MPH Zone) I blew by at 75 MPH all while averaging 51 MPG on my trip computer.

Lets see a Prius pull 51 MPG on the highway at 75 MPH... Ain't gonna happen.

I love my TDi!

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
It is amazing that after 4 years the HPFP's are still imploding.

The TDI had the potential of being another beetle that kept on going forever, but that ain't gonna happen.

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
Worry less drive more? Or speak softly and have a trust account for repairs? I too think they dropped the ball, but, they will NEVER admit that fact in this lifetime. As a result, nothing newer than 06 in my garage. Maybe the redesign will address the issues, we can only hope...

pcnorton

TDI
2011 JSW
I did the research. Read the forums and listened to those that say its only 1% failure rate. I figured those with problems are an exaggeration. After the second fuel system swap at 35k, with all my fuel bought a high turnover stations, kept my receipts, no mis fuels. So now I am trading in the vehicle if I don't take so much of a hit. So to those that will tell you drive more worry less, I say yes if you plan on selling after warranty is out or you routinely have 8k available.

Paul

Niner

duplicate account, banned
VW initial reaction to this wasn't the smartest from PR point of view. Now that its out in the open, my sense is that VW is doing a far better job.

Sure some of the pumps will fail, but we never hear the good news where VW takes responsibility, just the bad news.
Having your HPFP fail and covered under warranty is the good news? Can you be without your car for 2 or 3 weeks with a rental instead, while parts show up to be installed to be fixed on your TDI? What about what your time is worth, waiting for a tow truck to get it to a dealership? What about if you have to rent a room, because you are out of town when it goes and dies? What if the dealership doesn't know you from Adam? What if the dealership denies you warranty coverage?

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Worry less drive more? Or speak softly and have a trust account for repairs? I too think they dropped the ball, but, they will NEVER admit that fact in this lifetime. As a result, nothing newer than 06 in my garage. Maybe the redesign will address the issues, we can only hope...
LOL Brian I hope you say the same thing when the Cam goes on your 06....:rolleyes: Bottom Line VW Sucks!! and a lot of us keep buying them....:mad:

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
The difference between a cam and a HPFP failure is night and day. Cam can be done reasonably if you do your own work in conjunction with a timing belt change. 8K is not reasonable! As others have said, its not the failure of the part (parts fail, I get that) that is the problem, it is the collateral damage from the failure that IS the problem. Headed out today to get another 06, wife liked mine, demanded I get her one? How does that happen? (mental note do not let wife drive car)