2001 Golf Automatic Transmission problems??

ccices

TDI
91 Jetta, 01 Golf
Is there an ongoing problem with these transmissions? I see some posts make referrence to a known issue (like they wear out in 100k) but can anyone point me to some links that talk about waht VW will do to fix the issue?

Newgene

Veteran Member
TDI
ccices said:
Is there an ongoing problem with these transmissions? I see some posts make referrence to a known issue (like they wear out in 100k) but can anyone point me to some links that talk about waht VW will do to fix the issue?
Here's what I have found. VW's fix, for them, is never to put the 01M in newer VW autos again. That basically leaves you with the option to replace or have the transmission rebuilt. Unfortunately, I really haven't found a good rebuilder at any price significantly lower than an OEM remanufactured unit. Sure, there are places like German Transaxle in Oregon, but their price is very close to the price of one from an online OEM supplier. The OEM unit lists around $4400, but you should be able to get it for around $3500.

If you go to the dealer, expect them to quote you around $6000 to fix it, which is nothing more than swapping out yours with an OEM reman unit. I have a slipping reverse gear in mine, and I'm keeping an eye on it to see if it gets any worse. Then again, I have 140k miles on it, so I guess the car has done well. We just get kinda spoiled because the engine will probably last over 300k miles, so we expect the transmission to last that long, too. Arguably, I think it should, though.

I would stay away from discount remanufactured units unless you plan to get in there a bunch. I have no experience with them, but I have heard they never last long. Even the discount ones are nearly $2000, so it may not be a valid option anyway.

As for used, pricing on them is a joke, too. I was quoted a price just the other day for a used one. It was $3000, and it had 48k miles on it with a 60-day warranty. Unless you can get a used one, that you can you verify has low miles, I would stay away from them. To me, I wouldn't even install one that has 100k miles on it. You're time just isn't worth it because we all know how long these units last. I would guess, by the time you factor in labor costs or at least your time, a transmission with 50k miles would be worth about a thousand bucks. However, like I said, used transmissions are waaaaaay overpriced.

As for your original question. Is VW going to do anything to fix these failing 01M's (at their expense)? I would say, no way. I just don't expect much out of them.

chemist93

TDI
'03 New Beetle
Automatic or DSG?

Would someone reply to this question, please. Would it be best to buy a
2002 Jetta or New Beetle equipped with the automatic transmission, or would it be better to buy a 2005 New Beetle equipped with a DSG?
Why and why not? And what problems appear with these transmissions over 5-10 years? I cannot find a TDi with a manual transmission in this area: Western and Central North Carolina. Any replies will be appreciated.

I just remembered, the Jetta has 110101 miles, and the 02 Beetle has 98000 miles. The 05 Beetle has 34191 miles, in case someone needs that data for his reply. :)

Newgene

Veteran Member
TDI
chemist93 said:
Would someone reply to this question, please. Would it be best to buy a
2002 Jetta or New Beetle equipped with the automatic transmission, or would it be better to buy a 2005 New Beetle equipped with a DSG?
Why and why not? And what problems appear with these transmissions over 5-10 years? I cannot find a TDi with a manual transmission in this area: Western and Central North Carolina. Any replies will be appreciated.

I just remembered, the Jetta has 110101 miles, and the 02 Beetle has 98000 miles. The 05 Beetle has 34191 miles, in case someone needs that data for his reply. :)
In general, I would stay away from the 01M transmissions (the one in the 02 beetle). The DSG, to my understanding is actually an automatically shifted manual transmission (no torque converter, etc.). My understanding is that the DSGs have much less problems. I would go ahead and factor in around $5000 to the cost of the 02 beetle for when the transmission goes out.

As for additional info on the DSG, I'm sure there are lot of other posts about them on this forum. This is just my $0.02.

ccices

TDI
91 Jetta, 01 Golf
if and when my 01M blows up, can I fit/put a DSG in it? (01 Golf.. hey since we are putting new things in it.. would a V10 TDI fit:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D )

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
The DSG needs to be serviced religiously every 40,000 miles.

michellep

TDI
TDI, 2001, silver
2001 Golf, auto transmission took a nosedive.

I have a 2001 Golf TDI- automatic transmission.
The neutral safety sensor had been temperamental on occasion (has already been replaced once) for the past several weeks, but with a little patience... would eventually turn off and away we'd go. I shoved off the other day and found that when i put the car in reverse.. it didn’t move... although the engine revved when i accelerated. I threw it in drive... it lunged forward... then back in reverse and it was OK. That afternoon i attempted to drive home and found that the same thing was happening. It wouldn’t move... then would jump into gear.... then lose power and go about 5 mph, struggling along the way. I dropped it off at the shop (which are folks i trust btw) and they say they’re unable to get it out of park now. Seems to be stuck; the diagnosis.. bad transmission. They’ve quoted me $4,500 to install a new one. I’ve looked around for used ones... but they don’t seem to be worth the price. I’ve tried to do searches for new transmissions.. but cant find anything on the web.
My car needs in additional to the transmission replacement... a new timing belt... which runs around 1K to replace. So im basically looking at 5,500-6,000 (to over guestimate) for repairs on a car that Kelly Blue Books at $9,000. The current mileage is 115K... which i know isnt much on a diesel engine.. but still. The cost of repairs leaves me indecisive. Im not sure what would make the most sense. So heres what im curious about..

* Anyone know where i could price new VW transmissions?
* What would I want to replace the current one with?
* Would it be better to sell the car as is or part it out? How much could I expect to get for it in its current state?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Michelle

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
alphaseinor said:
The DSG needs to be serviced religiously every 40,000 miles.
ALL automatics should be serviced this way - Whoever decided to remove the dipstick from the 01M and call the fluid "lifetime" deserves a most appropriate punishment.

"Lifetime" transmission fluid defies all logic.

Rob