www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old August 2nd, 2014, 12:06   #226
Tuco
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBuckeye View Post
For those of us reaching 120-140K plus miles, has anyone replaced or is thinking about replacing their HPFP? I keep kicking this idea around since I want to keep my car another 3-4 years. Major repairs done.... timing belt, intake manifold, turbo, radiator fan, and several door locks. Also had a DPF delete, Malone tune, and DSG tune. Car runs like a champ! Looking down the road and/or trying to take some precautionary measures. A HPFP meltdown at this stage would really REALLY piss me off! Trying to avoid that.

Looking at long-term and reliability, does anyone think it's wise to go ahead and replace the HPFP with a car that has 140K miles on it? Does VW warranty a new HPFP the same way they are honoring or covering the OEM HPFP?e
Your HPFP has lasted 140K miles. I would say it has proven itself to be reliable. Why would you want to risk replacing a perfectly reliable part with one that may or not be reliable? If it isn't broke, don't fix it.
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 00:04   #227
09 VW TDI

Default 2009 vw jetta Mt tdi warning light.

So my windshield washer fluid warning comes on prompting me to add fluid, problem is its topped off. any suggestions.
Old March 19th, 2015, 17:34   #228
Dreadsen

Hello Everyone. I currently own a 1985 Golf Diesel. But due to winter problems would like to buy a 2009 Jetta TDI. There's one i found that has 245,000 miles on it. What kind of issues would i possibly face getting one with this high of miles? Or should i NOT get this due to the miles?
Dreadsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015, 07:25   #229
sprinks
Veteran Member

09 is a touchy year for many users on the forum. First year of the new engine design for vw known as common rail. It also had a 1 piece Diesel particulate filter (dpf) which is fine at first glance, but makes replacing (or upgrading to the 2 piece, which is what 2010 and up used) quite costly. I imagine with that many miles it's been driven nearly all of it's life on highways, so it probably has a lower particulate load, but if i were you i'd have it looked at by a diesel guru what the filter loading is at. Does it have the DSG or manual transmission? Has it had its high pressure fuel pump replaced? Timing belts replaced at regular intervals?
Old March 27th, 2015, 07:46   #230
South Coast Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsen View Post
Hello Everyone. I currently own a 1985 Golf Diesel. But due to winter problems would like to buy a 2009 Jetta TDI. There's one i found that has 245,000 miles on it. What kind of issues would i possibly face getting one with this high of miles? Or should i NOT get this due to the miles?
The question to be answered is what is the price? Has regular maintenance been done ( confirmed by receipts)? With this many miles, I wouldn't pay more that $4,500 for the car.
South Coast Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 18:33   #231
meerschm
Veteran Member

This is under the category of I did not know that.

noticed for the first time today, that the key has an LED that lights up when you press the button. I just don't think I ever looked at the key when I pressed the button. lots of times look at the car, to make sure it locks when i leave it, or unlock it so my wife can get some gizmo she left in the car, just do not ever remember looking at the key.

guess that is from learning to touch type. don't look at what my fingers do, but what the results are.

this is up there with the steering column that goes in and out, and the lock on the gas door that operates with the car door locks.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 11:29   #232
cracklepop

Fuel Economy: 41 freeway

THANK YOU to everyone that took the time to write out, direct towards links, recorded video, etc... on how to change the timing belt on my 2009 Jetta TDI (bought it with 129k and after some checking I found out the tb wasn't changed or no documentation. at 120k). It was definitely a learning experience with my last vehicle being a 2002 Jeep Liberty (owned for 13 years, did all maintenance but due to living in occupied californistan the air ****s require the stealership to sell and replace the 3 catalyic converters for $3000 which is much more than the vehicle was worth with 250k). But alas it's finished and now I must learn how to change the oil (oil canister with filter like an old 53 dodge pick up I had in high school) and fuel filter (same type canister with filter inside). Anyway, I learned A LOT and saved even more money. Btw, I even paid 9.99 to join myturbodiesel.com to support them and I'd like to do the same for this site. If you can't tell I'm very appreciative of the work that was put into these sites to help us all.
Once again, thank you.
Cracklepop
cracklepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2015, 10:39   #233
C3156
Veteran Member

TDI(s): All sold
Fuel Economy: With or w/o emmisions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBuckeye View Post
Looking at long-term and reliability, does anyone think it's wise to go ahead and replace the HPFP with a car that has 140K miles on it? Does VW warranty a new HPFP the same way they are honoring or covering the OEM HPFP?

Thoughts/suggestions.... (moderator- plz move post if you feel it belongs elsewhere)
Mine went at 157k and I thought I was good. I would recommend either you replace the unit or at a minimum buy 2micron's contain kit to keep the metal from going everywhere.
Old August 14th, 2015, 11:06   #234
C3156
Veteran Member

TDI(s): All sold
Fuel Economy: With or w/o emmisions?

I figured that I since have a 2009 and a 2010 TDI, I would post a list of issues that I have had with these two vehicles. Unfortunately most are documented on this site as known issues with these cars.

2009:

A/C Compressor died and filled system with metal
Bad glow plug
Drivers side door electrical gremlin - Common VW issue
Radio died - CRC HARDWARE FAULT
Intake flap valve - P2015
Exhaust flap valve - P047F
High Pressure Fuel Pump died and filled fuel system with metal- Well known, VW warranty extended to 10yr/120,000 miles

2010:

Sun roof drains leaked - VW lost a class action for this item
Touch screen radio died
Intake flap valve - P2015
Exhaust flap valve - P047F
DFP cracked - P0407 w/ black soot in the exhaust

No particular order and I don't want to document how much all of these have cost me. Most of the issues happened outside of the original 3yr/36,000 mile warranty and VW denied repair. Based on that and general reliability, I would be hesitant to ever purchase another VW. This is coming from previously owning a Toyota that never had a single issue in the 10 years I owned the car.

Last edited by C3156; September 2nd, 2015 at 07:27.
C3156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2015, 03:30   #235
n8ronJ
Veteran Member

I've looked around the site and am trying to learn more about my 2010 Jetta 6M. I just picked it up a couple weeks ago - has 122k on it. Occasionally the car feels like it's running rough - at idle on a cold start and even idling at a stop light. When it acts like this it even feels like while I'm cruising that it's hesitating (feels like a misfire in an old V8). It's not consistently doing it every day. I like the car so far but I'm scratching my head when it comes to this lumpy idle/hesitation driving. Can anyone direct me to a link to read up on this? What other info can I provide here? I've driven an 03 ALH for the past 8 years so getting used to a 2010 is like a whole new world.

sold2003 Jetta GLS TDI, 275k, Platinum Grey, 5 Speed, SBC Stage2 Daily, Evo Atlas Skidplate, RC3
n8ronJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 15:08   #236
MHC48

TDI(s): 2009 TDI DSG

Wondering how many '09 Common Rail early posters are left on the Board who still have their TDI. Trying to decide what to do now that the class action appears to be settled. I imagine many of us have similar experiences, mileage and buyback numbers. I still really like my TDI a lot (it's been very good to me in many ways) and I never had any of the major or $$ problems others have) in over 121k miles.

Thing is, I've got even more wear and tear on me than my TDI, (although both well maintained) and don't do as much mileage as I used to. I think I'd really like some of those new electronic safety features VW and Subaru in particular have as options these days. The $12-13k could get me pretty close on a gasser.
MHC48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 11:33   #237
jeneric

Still here with our '10 Jetta TDI....not sure for how long though. Wondering about all the rumors I've been reading about the possible buy back, etc...w/165k miles and counting I'm not expecting a windfall of cash but possibly a good deal on a new Golf would be entertained...
jeneric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 12:47   #238
Rodya

Default 2009 Still Alive

106500 on my 2009. Will probably keep for another 10K; looking at GTI or Golf SE gasser.
Rodya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 13:22   #239
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Note: This thread is NOT about any dieselgate related subjects. Please keep all discussions about buybacks, fixes, and replacement vehicles in the Dieselgate forum. If these off topic posts continue in this thread, this thread will get locked. All Dieselgate related discussions belong in the new "diesegate" forum here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99

Have Fun!

Don
Old February 2nd, 2017, 14:57   #240
pcharnish

hopefuully i can get some help here my 2010 jetta what the lihgt that looks like an engine come on and i took it to a mechanic and they scaned it and it said boost cylander and they werent fermillerr with vws so they called one of hter friends who works a local vw and thereand extended warenty on it it the throttle assembly on the egr velve and they recomended that i call the local dealer and take it there under warrenty i just called the local w dealership and i told them what it was and of course they said that they would need to scan it but i was they seemed to think that it wasnt under warrenty any advice please would help it has under 70000km on it
pcharnish is offline   Reply With Quote