A3 Belly Pan / Splash Guard

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
I cannot for the life of me find any information or part numbers for the A3 splash guard / belly pan. From what I understand the belly pan on a Mk3 TDI was a two piece ordeal, one piece was a "diaper" for the oil pan which functioned more as a sound baffle, and a second piece that surrounded it that also functioned as a side cover for the engine and belts.

My car is completely missing all of these parts and I have been looking high and low for a source given the wet weather quickly approaching. Does anyone know where to find one of these or a part number list so I can at least find someone selling one used? Will one off a VR6 fit as well?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I threw one out, not too long ago. Mine was 2 piece as you mentioned.

Skid plates are available for B4s, so I’d imagine they’d be available for A3s.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
You are both correct, I still have both items installed on my Mk3. I don't know why they call it a diaper because it has a hole for the drain plug so technically it won't do much diapering really.

The TDI was the only Mk3 to get the belly pan and diaper, the other models didn't warrant the sound proofing.

I have the diaper installed on the B3V because it helps to shield and insulate the engine oil pan heater.

Steve

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
just go get a quality skid plate and be done with it, if you need one, get a full pan.
Like this, maybe find one cheaper?
https://www.evolutionimport.com/odin-skid-plate-kit-for-golf-jetta-mkii-iii-p/a3004.htm
the reason is, the skid pan is 100% useless other than the extra few little days you get out of the belts if your driving though rain every day!
So if you need one, the OEM is going to provide NO protection from road hazards. Buy a quality one otherwise forget about it!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
just go get a quality skid plate and be done with it, if you need one, get a full pan.
Like this, maybe find one cheaper?
https://www.evolutionimport.com/odin-skid-plate-kit-for-golf-jetta-mkii-iii-p/a3004.htm
the reason is, the skid pan is 100% useless other than the extra few little days you get out of the belts if your driving though rain every day!
So if you need one, the OEM is going to provide NO protection from road hazards. Buy a quality one otherwise forget about it!
The original components were never intended to provide protection. If you look at what VW says in the parts catalog these are for insulation and noise reduction only.

For some, like me, it's about the integrity of the original car, or at least a car that hasn't been modded beyond recognition. And while some think that lots of mods might be ok and don't detract from the car I just prefer to have a car that is pretty much a VW and not an agglomeration of misc parts from misc cars. Besides, if you look at the value of mods it's pretty clear that there is no resale value in most of the things that kids do on Vortex. People literally have to take the mods off the car in order to get any residual value from them.

In the end I don't fault people for taking off the belly pans, they are a bit of a hassle and I do have to take mine off when I change the oil, but that's typically between 8500-10,000k miles so that's not really very often in my case.

If I could find a belly pan for my B3V wagon locally I would get it, but I can't. At least Abacus has one with my name on it!

And now, for the OP, there are some belly pans on Vortex being sold, or at least there used to be. Just check the Mk3 parts sale forum. Someone in your area might have one!

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Steve Addy said:
I don't know why they call it a diaper because it has a hole for the drain plug so technically it won't do much diapering really.

Probably because the sound insulation foam soaks in grease and oil, like a diaper. I kept it around for a little bit, then tossed it. I did keep the oil pan part. I’ll probably clean it out and reline it with some Dynamat Hoodliner.

-Todd

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
there are some things you need when they are useful. If your low or live in a rocky area, the skid pad is great but otherwise a waste of money.
As far as OEM sound, i dont think it does much of anything.

Like the 10lb chunk of steel bolted to the sub frame on MK3's Completely pointless and worthless other than making VW feel happy about some testing or balancing.