What does relay 135 do?

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
Hey gang,

Well I have my whole – torn apart doing the phone replacement for the heating system. Dangling down with no apparent home is a relay number 135… Does anybody know what that does?

I haven't figured out how to find out what specific numbered relays do via the Bentley book… Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Behind the center console? If so, it turns the AC off, from a standing start. I remove it and add a jumper wire between terminals 30 and 87.

-Todd

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 1.9L mk3 1Z AHU
I guess it’s a load reduction relay. Temporarily turns off AC while you’re trying to run your glow plugs and start the car. This way, the car can start comfortably. Bypassing the relay lets the AC run WHILE the glow plugs run, puts a much greater strain on your battery and could result in the car NOT starting. Best leave relay 135 installed, eh?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
That’s not what it does. Like most accessories, AC is already on a load reduction relay.

To clarify, it interrupts power to the clutch coil, to reduce drag on the engine at low engine rpm take offs. I don’t notice a huge difference other than the vents blowing hot air, hence the reason I bypass it, in my cars. I found it unnecessary and annoying.

I should add 135 delete to my signature mods...

-Todd

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
Thanks guys... Is there anywhere in the Bentley ( or here) that tells you what each numbered relay does?

Regards,
Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
A2resourse is an excellent source of information, even for B3/4/Mk3 owners since all those cars (save for early Mk2) all use the CE2 electrics system.

since relays often have multiple purposes I sometimes just query the part number of the relay (if available) to see what functions it is supposed to cover.

Additionally, there are sometimes different relays (different numbers) that do the same thing, like the 99 and 196 relays, which both provide variable delay wiper functionality.

Steve