2006 Jetta Coolant Leaking from EGR Valve area

Gettyhand

TDI
2006 Jetta
I have coolant leaking from the EGR area, also white smoke coming out the tail pipe. Air intake has a popping sound and air filter has a heavy layer black soot on it.
My first thought is the EGR cooler is leaking into the recirculated exhaust into the intake.
Second thought is a stuck intake valve.
Anyone experience this out there?
126,000 miles and timing belt replaced at 85,000 miles.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Air intake popping sounds like a typical camshaft/lifter issue. A lifter (or lifters) are deformed and getting depressed by the neighboring injectors lobe which may by now have a notch worn into it. I'd look for the notch in the center of the injector lobe and worn intake/exhaust valve lobes with scuffing on the dwell side of the lobes.

Sooty air filter is most likely due to a blown out flap valve bearing on the EGR cooler.
Plenty of info on the forums about that.

Are you experiencing a noted coolant loss in the reservoir? "EGR area" extends from the back side of the engine to the upper passenger side of the intake. Where exactly is the coolant showing.

Last edited:

Gettyhand

TDI
2006 Jetta
Yes black coolant from the EGR area suspect it's the EGR cooler leaking.
With this leaking can it make it into the intake?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The coolant part of the EGR cooler is built like a tank so more likely the coolant hoses to it are leaking. The black would be soot from the EGR cooler butterfly valve shaft leaking exhaust.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=480431&highlight=egr+cooler
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=234986&highlight=egr+cooler

This guy has a kit that is a permanent fix for the leaking butterfly shaft that includes a reworked cooler, gaskets and coolant hoses. Give him a call.
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Yes black coolant from the EGR area suspect it's the EGR cooler leaking.
With this leaking can it make it into the intake?
To check the EGR function, using VCDS, go to engine basic setting and do the EGR test in basic settings. Note: The drop down menu for a TDI will be different than the pic below. It will have 2 different tests, one for testing turbo boost an one for testing the EGR valve.

The black in your air filter is most likely soot from the leaking EGR cooler butterfly valve being drawn in through the cold weather intake to the air cleaner. The popping sound at the intake is very likely a worn cam. With the car idling, listen for a bup bup bup sound at the tailpipe which would mean a worn cam.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Ol'Rattler,

Thank you for the recommendation. I appreciate it.

Gettyhand,

As for the EGR cooler, the only way the EGR cooler will leak water into the intake manifold is if the heat exchanger core is bad. If that is the case, you can check the cooler by applying a vacuum onto the nipples for the EGR cooler and it should go to maximum Vacuum and hold it all day long. If you show a leak down, it's a bad EGR cooler.

Otherwise, the soot around the EGR cooler is caused by the butterfly valve shaft seal wearing out and allowing a lot of your boost to blow out. This is the normal issue with the EGR coolers, as not many of them leak water.

If the heat exchanger is leaking, there is no good method for fixing them. Normally, we send you a repaired EGR cooler and then you send your old broken EGR cooler back to us. In this case, I have some doubt you have a usable core.

Our kit includes the EGR cooler, several replacement stainless steel gaskets, some with 'legs' that keep them in place, and o-rings.

The dual heater hose, which goes to the EGR cooler is often damaged or swollen. There is a split year for a change on the hoses; 6/06. Please note manufacture date, which can be found on the rocker panel of the driver's door.

We charge $85 for our repaired EGR cooler and offer $85 for a returned core. So, if your core is leaking, the cost of the repaired EGR cooler is $170...roughly 1/3 the cost of a new EGR cooler

The other issue you seem to be having is the puff of black smoke. That is the first indicator of a worn cam/ lifter set. We are well known for our cam kit and it's success.

On the EGR cooler, we offer a life-time replacement. All 4 mounting bolts to the back of the block for the EGR cooler MUST BE INSTALLED, or warranty is void.

The cam kits we sell have a 3 year, unlimited mileage warranty.

Feel free to call or email.

Gettyhand

TDI
2006 Jetta
Well I pulled the valve cover off tonight and the can is in no way wore out, one lobe farthest from the timing belt had a little ware but the hard facing is still intact and no signs of any metal anywhere.
I am on board that the EGR valve is bad and coolant is leaking from the EGR actuator seal so pretty sure the cooler is bad.

Any recommendations on a good aftermarket EGR/Cooler?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Double check it's not the coolant line, or flange, to the back of the head. Could spray across to the egr.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

NightHawk

TDI
I identify as a TDI owner
This post!!
Yes!
Now I know exactly where to start with my coolant leak!

i have two the first, and smallest is the coolant crossover pipe.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Well I pulled the valve cover off tonight and the can is in no way wore out, one lobe farthest from the timing belt had a little ware but the hard facing is still intact and no signs of any metal anywhere.
I am on board that the EGR valve is bad and coolant is leaking from the EGR actuator seal so pretty sure the cooler is bad.

Any recommendations on a good aftermarket EGR/Cooler?
Gettyhand,
we sell repaired ‘06 EGR cooler kits. Call me.
416-232-4634

noob_tl

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 NB
Frank, I wouldn't sit by the phone waiting for a call. Gettyhand hasn't been active on here since he posted that about 5 years ago.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
heh... I sometimes don't look at the responding date. Even so, I don't have to worry about the phone. It rings anyway... LOL!

The crossover pipe or Manifold to EGR cooler pipe comes off most easily with a VERY long extension going down the exhaust tunnel with a short wobble extension and a 12mm socket. The connection to the EGR cooler, put the 6mm socket into the bolt, then install the proper length extension, finally putting a wobble head ratchet onto the extension. The setup won't fit otherwise.

Time consuming, OH YEAH! 4.5 hrs in my shop and that is FAST. Best to only have to do the job once.

aktxyz

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagon, 1997 Passat TDI
Anyone know a good TDI place in Austin TX ? My son was driving my 2010 Jetta TDI wagon yesterday and got a dreaded coolant light. After getting the car home today and digging around, the leak is around the EGR. I don't think I have the ability to do this one myself.