2002 Golf battery

zanne101

TDI
2002 Golf TDI 5-speed
I am having a hard time figuring out which battery will work in my Golf. The battery in now is very large (12x7x7approx) but when i check around, all the batteries suggested for my car are very small. Will these work to fit in the battery area?
I was looking at Walmart's Value Power group 65 (seems to have the correct V & amp), but I was told to get the Maxx H5, group 47.
I am on a tight budget so don't want to go to a VW dealer or let the local guys order an expensive one.
Anyone replaced their older Golf battery recently?

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
The battery you need is an H7, which is also known as group 94R.

In my experience, most of the look-ups in parts stores are wrong, and the dealers are not much better.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The dealer actually sells the correct battery at a competitive price.

The H7 is a common battery. Dodge Caravans and Chevy Silverados use them.

It is NOT an H5/47. That is two sizes too small.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Interesting, did not know that caravans and Silverados used H7s. That explains why almost everyone has one is stock.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
It is NOT an H5/47. That is two sizes too small.
OP: your diesel has much higher compression than a gasser and needs a right-sized battery to turn 'er over in the mornings. Don't let someone sell you the wrong one just 'cause a chart tells them it should fit. Odds are they may be looking at the gas engined-version of whatever vehicle they are looking up. :)

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I've only ever replaced our '01 Golf's battery with new ones from the dealer. Currently on only the third in seventeen years...