Rear main seal

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG Highline Red w/tan
Just bought a new rear crankshaft seal for my BRM. Victor Reinz 038 103 171S. Got it all installed. Just putting oil pan bolts in and I hear a crack. The new seal is not tapped as deep as the original seal. When you use the original bolt from the oil pan, breaks seal housing. Really sucks on a Sunday afternoon. Anybody seen this or am I the only one?��

Last edited:

mk3pd

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Passat Quattro :)
Just bought a new rear crankshaft seal for my BRM. Victor Reinz 038 103 171S. Got it all installed. Just putting oil pan bolts in and I hear a crack. The new seal is not tapped as deep as the original seal. When you use the original bolt from the oil pan, breaks seal housing. Really sucks on a Sunday afternoon. Anybody seen this or am I the only one?��
I have seen this happen with one guy that used too much sealant on the oil pan,some sealant came down the seals threaded hole and when he tightened the bolt the sealant cracked the housing.......

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG Highline Red w/tan
Got a new one

Because I am in Canada, did not have time to wait to get another one from ID parts. Got a new one from local parts place. This one was in Victor Reine box but fid not say Dana on it. The one from ID parts I believe was a newer box. The difference is the Reinz/Dan one has a reddish brown seal colour. The older one has a black seal colour like the original VW one. I took my caliper to measure depth of oil pan bolts. The new one from ID parts was 17.5mm deep. The original VW one and my local procured one was 20.5mm deep. When I threaded the oil pan bolt in there was 8.5mm of the bolt left when threaded all the way in. The local one was the same. The new one from ID parts was still 10.5mm. The oil pan is 10mm thick. This explains why the seal flange cracked. I emailed Victor Reinz and ID parts but no reply so far. I got the job finished today with local procured one. Suppose to be 34f for high tomorrow. If you get a new rear main seal and the box says Dana and Victor Reinz on box, check depth of hole. It cracks so very easily.