PD150 Intake in ALH with ASV?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Looking to upgrade my ALH intake manifold to a PD150 in the interest of more and better air flow to the pistons. No intercooler upgrade plans, just use the stock intercooler setup. Important here to get the correct orientation on the intake elbow to the passenger or starboard side of the vehicle.

I would like to retain the ASV function of the EGR, with no emissions testing here in PA, no need to retain the EGR emissions function, although starting warmup time and heater response is important.

The "usual" upgrade is a race pipe/delete setup with 2 options, a 51mm pipe to connect direct to stock plumbing, or a 57mm pipe with a hose adapter, 57>51. I'm thinking that if I bought a bare manifold, I should be able to buy a used pd EGR set up here on the forums and simply disable the egr valve by blocking the vacuum control line. I just did this on my existing setup and to my surprise, has thrown no code, EGR adaptation is at the minimum.

Thoughts, experience, installation tips etc, greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
R*2

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
ryanp is the guy to talk to about getting setup with a PD150 intake manifold and a working ASV setup as well.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4052520&postcount=2

I know there are others out there that have made a PD150 intake and EGR/ASV setup work on their car. It might be worth it to do some searching on here to see what you come up with.

And yes a PD150 intake will point to the passenger side of a North American MKIV Jetta or Golf. ;) It's the Passat PD130 intake manifolds that point to the driver's side of the vehicle.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
3L3M3NT,

Thanks for the reply, I did get a manifold and the "race pipe" from

Darkside. Installed with complete EGR removal. I decided that

if I do get a runaway, I'll just stall out the car by putting it in gear.

With adaptation set to the lowest, I get no codes, so I'm happy.
And the engine is clearly getting my air. Replaced a lot of vacuum hoses and removed the small round valve that was giving me intermittent boost faults. A new N75 valve has smoothed out the turbo response,much more linear now.

A boost gauge now in, and it's giving me a much better idea of how the turbo is working. I'm nearly to the bottom of the slippery slope

of upgraditis. Next TB I should have a head & cam from Franko6
and I'm picking up a rebuilt injection pump from BurnYourMoney
this weekend.

Cheers,
R*2

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
racerxtdi,
PD150 intake has been in for 20k, love it! Much better airflow.
Another tweak, on the recommendation of Jeff of RC, is a catchcan.
Turbo's running a lot cleaner, spooling quicker with less smoke.
Keeps the compressor side from getting carboned up.

Next is the R32 airbox with the euro DSG snorkel and a bigger maf.
IBW is running this, my take is it contributes it to his extraordinary
FE.

VR6 288mm rotors on the front and, recently, TT rears 254mm rotors have improved braking, the rears ARE worth it.

Front top strut tie bar tightens up the front, and I've got an internal rear
bar, the combo stiffens the whole body.

Still waiting on a head and cam from Franko6, got a set of ARP studs
in hand for the install.

I could make more power, but feel that too many do that without accompanying attention to overall suspension. If you want a dragster,
fine, but I'm interested in the GT car, high speed handling and comfort
with the ability to stay nimble on the twisty bits.

Oh, and do get an LSD, you'll never look back. And I'd heartily recommend a .717 5th, much better power band from 4th to 5th.
I swapped out my .658 for the higher ratio, much better highway
car.

My $.02.

Where in PA?

Here's some details on the R32 airbox mod;
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=264978

Last edited:

racerxtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5spd GLS
Your what I want to be when I grow up. LOL

I have had my car for many years and only started having money to upgrade. I would love a LSD but think it would have to be part a 6spd swap if I did.

How did you get around missing EGR for PA Safety inspection?

I have a rear hotchkis swaybar and GLI beam I want to install over the winter. Then turbo upgrade next spring. I am not sure if I should do a VNT1756 (VNT17 with GTB1756VK compressor and turbine) or a gtd1752vrk (ball bearing turbo welded on cast manifold) trying to keep that under $750. Then nozzles and maybe IP.

Very slippery...

I am in Bucks County about 25 minutes from Philadelphia. Are you in Lancaster?

AWD-TDI

TDI
ALH - 2003 AWD Jetta
I read the BRM intakes outperform (small margin) PD150s and for me were more available. I got one and have yet to test it out but looking forward to the improvement. Sounds like you have a nice setup!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Your what I want to be when I grow up. LOL

I have had my car for many years and only started having money to upgrade. I would love a LSD but think it would have to be part a 6spd swap if I did.

How did you get around missing EGR for PA Safety inspection?

I have a rear hotchkis swaybar and GLI beam I want to install over the winter. Then turbo upgrade next spring. I am not sure if I should do a VNT1756 (VNT17 with GTB1756VK compressor and turbine) or a gtd1752vrk (ball bearing turbo welded on cast manifold) trying to keep that under $750. Then nozzles and maybe IP.

Very slippery...

I am in Bucks County about 25 minutes from Philadelphia. Are you in Lancaster?

Ayup, Lancaster. Let me know if you ever get over this way, we'll compare notes.

Personally, having owned both, I prefer the 02J 5 spd with the caveat that
you have a .717 5th. Spend the money on that and a Peloquin from APtuning in Lebanon, PA.

A 17/52vklr is essentially a 17/22 with ball bearings. I'd love to run that
or a 17/56 with bearings. Realistically though what I've got is plenty of
power without getting into extensive engine mods. The ball bearing turbos are faster to spool, 26psi (17/22) is plenty boost for this side of 200whp.

Then suspension and brakes, BIG fan of bigger rotors all round. VR6 front calipers are fairly ez to find, TT quattro rears harder. NOT a fan of rear sway bars, I prefer to leave the beam alone and focus on springs, shocks, bigger tires and spacers.

No PA emission test on diesels here in Lancaster County, so no problem
with EGR delete.

First and foremost, have fun!

racerxtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5spd GLS
Yeah we should meet up.

I would love a LSD but that's big money... I do want to do a turbo and the rear suspension soon. I have a GLI rear beam (Stiffer), RSB, Moog Springs B6 Bilsteins, and fresh bearings.

VR6 Brakes and headliner on my wish list.

I have STG3 Malone and PP520 but always felt I got the Bait and Switch as the nozzles were meah or less over stock (got Malone about a year later and sorta work up the car).

The out spoken (think cocky) Nozzle Tuner charged me for a "broken" nozzle (working fine in my car) and gave blank paper work for his tuning and rebuild. Lastly returned without cooper sealing washer on Injector 3 T-fitting spraying fuel out of it.

Installed them and my reaction was Meah. Is this really 20 HP and 40 FTLBS My clutch lasted/never slipped with just the nozzles 30k of hard beatings. I think Malone Tune is what started slipping but never felt like a 40/85 improvement HP/TQ.

There is more back story and the vendor sorta put him in his place as he would not even touch my nozzles to install them despite paying up front. It took me over a year to have down time to pull the injectors and send them out to him. He stated the un-opened PP520 would be too rusty sitting in the box after a year. He told me that I was SOL and vendor should not of sent them to me.

Called vendor and complained threatened to blast them on here. Surprise he called me and he said he would look at them but could not guarantee the were any good (from just sitting in their box for a year).

Then hit me with you have a busted nozzle and need to send him $250 more.

So that's why I going else where for nozzles. Sorry venting!

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry to hear about the nozzle problems, I've gone with a local diesel shop that will install nozzles, balance and pop test for ~$120. I had them install the first set, but now on my 3rd iteration and I've got it down to doing it myself.

The turbo I'd go with for a daily driver is this at ~$1200;

https://gottuned.com/product/gtd1752vrk-billet-wheel-hybrid-turbo-vacuum-converted-and-welded-onto-stock-1-9-2-0tdi/

With some .230 Wuzetems and a Stage 4 tune (26psi), with a fast spooling
turbo, should give you reasonable longevity. Be aware that there's no free lunch when it comes to FE. On the highway at 75mph (2400rpm) I get low 40's, and mid to upper 30s around town driving like a cabbie. This BTW with an 11mm injection pump. They do pop up on the forums
here used for $ 3-400.

I hear ya' on budget, at least you can upgrade incrementally. And it's hard to know what x improvement will do in terms of driveability.
The GTGs used to give an opportunity to associate with people and
cars to give a better sense of results, sadly they seem to be less common
than previously.

TDI
Looking for an education so I can buy smart.
I'm gonna bring this back to life. I am down in Shippensburg with a 2000 Jetta TDI, ALH 5 speed.

It would be nice to meet like minded folks around here.